Chris Hughton says club will not panic in transfer window

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Very true but the facility that we now have is not financially sustainable in this division, lack of investment in the squad will be the clubs downfall. Under our current management structure we are going to be demoted before we are promoted

So we spend how much to get promotion? - the £100m we will get if we make it? - what happens if we spend that much and fail?

If we do spend that and go up then what? - spend another £100m or more trying to stay there? - Then get relegated (which will happen) and end up worse off?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
When you put it like that, let's start a petition "save our Albion"....

God I'm depressed now, guess we will get hammered Saturday

No real need to be, we have an owner who is prepared to lose money every season (and it seems unlikely to change soon) to keep us at least competitive in this division and hopefully achieve promotion at some point. We have a large debt, but mainly owed to one person who has agreed that a lot of this debt, if the club is unable to repay it when due, will see it turned into shares instead

We are only in trouble and needing to be saved if Bloom decided he wanted to get his money back early and i can't really see that happening.

If concerned, we as fans could campaign for the club to live within it's means and not to lose around £10m a season, but to try to break even however that would make promotion even less likely and make a lot of fans unhappy

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We may never know because the club keep their cards close to their chest

Or maybe his record at Reading meant that we didn't think he was what we were looking for
2013–2016. Reading - played 103, 18 goals (5.7222 games per goal)

With players at this club deemed not good enough by some fans, even with a better strike rate than Blackman, i'd wonder if the fans would accept his signing or say it's the cheap option, no ambition and all the other stuff they spout on here and elsewhere before he'd even kicked a ball in anger for us
Your point is a good one. I'd have been appalled if we signed someone with as poor a record as Blackman.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Your point is a good one. I'd have been appalled if we signed someone with as poor a record as Blackman.

The trouble with football is that you can buy someone like Blackman and they may go on a long goal scoring run and be prolific, even if their previous stats say that they shouldn't be or you can buy someone who is prolific from one club and they struggle at another (Torres going from Liverpool to Chelsea is a great example of this) Some players just click at a club and there is no logical reason or explanation for it.

That is why i think all players should be given a reasonable amount of time to settle in and work up partnerships within the team before deciding if the are a success or failure.

Using stats, would Kurt Nogan be a success or failure from his time with us? - he played 97 times and scored 47 goals but went around 20 games in succession without a goal

Players who start badly can come good, and those who start well and still slump in form

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
The trouble with football is that you can buy someone like Blackman and they may go on a long goal scoring run and be prolific, even if their previous stats say that they shouldn't be or you can buy someone who is prolific from one club and they struggle at another (Torres going from Liverpool to Chelsea is a great example of this) Some players just click at a club and there is no logical reason or explanation for it.

That is why i think all players should be given a reasonable amount of time to settle in and work up partnerships within the team before deciding if the are a success or failure.

Using stats, would Kurt Nogan be a success or failure from his time with us? - he played 97 times and scored 47 goals but went around 20 games in succession without a goal

Players who start badly can come good, and those who start well and still slump in form

Way too much common sense there.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Very true but the facility that we now have is not financially sustainable in this division, lack of investment in the squad will be the clubs downfall. Under our current management structure we are going to be demoted before we are promoted

So where is the money going to come from?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I dont want CH to panic during the window just appreciate where we need to strengthen and do it.

I am really not sure how to take CH's comment. What he says makes total sense, and the last thing we would want is an average striker bought at the last minute to appease the fans. Or is CH putting up a smokescreen to keep rivals away from a potential recruit? Or is he preparing the fans for no other additions, as the intention is not to go for promotion this season, now that many half season tickets have apparently been sold and the 1901 appears to be selling well? A very cynical view, I accept.

Hmmmm as far as that very last bit of your lengthy post is concerned, about having a squad we can build on in the summer, how many times have I heard that before?

So often now, it's all about 'never mind, we'll make it next year', well, when is 'next year' going to arrive exactly?

I want to see my beloved Albion in the Premier League in my current lifetime, not the next one.

I couldn't agree more. But we have seen progression this season, and had we not had the injuries we had, I think we'd still be sitting in second or third place. I think our position flattered us at the start of the season, but they definitely started playing with swagger and confidence, and hopefully that will come back. We all know that this squad would get anialated in the PL, so we have to strengthen in the summer anyway. But i do believe we have a decent set of players to build on for next season, providing we don't lose our best players to our rivals.
I appreciate we've heard that for a few years now, but I get the feeling that Bloom is starting to get desperate. So he will throw more money at the squad.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Someone at the club says that in every window. It's part of the game.

"ooh you're desperate for a player, I'll add 20% to the wages/fee"
"eh, we're not panicking yet, so screw your 20%"

Absolutely correct, however we are the architects of our own situation and the club again have backed themselves against the wall by not being smart enough. had Wilson continued with his promise then we would have been in the top two but he is turning out not to be tough enough in the Championship or we are not playing to his strengths. Hughtons statements are worrying 'must find a way through', 'people come here score a goal and shut the game down' and now the we're not panicking statement. Well lets stop the panic by:

1, Scoring a goal
2. Winning a match

Its easy Chris, not interested in what you say, stop the panic, as it's only what happens on the pitch that counts!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I couldn't agree more. But we have seen progression this season, and had we not had the injuries we had, I think we'd still be sitting in second or third place. I think our position flattered us at the start of the season, but they definitely started playing with swagger and confidence, and hopefully that will come back. We all know that this squad would get anialated in the PL, so we have to strengthen in the summer anyway. But i do believe we have a decent set of players to build on for next season, providing we don't lose our best players to our rivals.
I appreciate we've heard that for a few years now, but I get the feeling that Bloom is starting to get desperate. So he will throw more money at the squad.
TB in no way whatsoever strikes me as a desperate man.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Are there any players who a free agents that are good enough for what we need? - probably not
So are there any players that are transfer listed that are good enough for what we need - probably not

Are there any players that are under contract at clubs who may be persuaded to sell - a few
Are they good enough for what we need - not necessarily

So what do you do? - try your best to get them to sell but it isn't guaranteed and if they do agree a fee, hope that the player would be willing to join you when there is a good chance they arn't necessarily that keen to move - Does that mean that the club are unambitious or not trying (or not trying that hard)

Are other clubs after these players too - most likely making it harder to achieve the signings we want to make

It's easier in the summer when players contracts expire or clubs arn't as keen to old onto players to either survive in their current division or continue their promotion push

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Are there any players who a free agents that are good enough for what we need? - probably not
So are there any players that are transfer listed that are good enough for what we need - probably not

Are there any players that are under contract at clubs who may be persuaded to sell - a few
Are they good enough for what we need - not necessarily

So what do you do? - try your best to get them to sell but it isn't guaranteed and if they do agree a fee, hope that the player would be willing to join you when there is a good chance they arn't necessarily that keen to move - Does that mean that the club are unambitious or not trying (or not trying that hard)

Are other clubs after these players too - most likely making it harder to achieve the signings we want to make

It's easier in the summer when players contracts expire or clubs arn't as keen to old onto players to either survive in their current division or continue their promotion push
Good post. Too many think it's like Football Manager, bid enough and you get your man. Not quite that straightforward

D

Deleted member 2719

Hughton has had the biggest budget at the AMEX already should he be allowed anymore?
After all we don't want to do a Brown/Blair spend spend and more spend with money we don't have.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Hughton has had the biggest budget at the AMEX already should he be allowed anymore?
After all we don't want to do a Brown/Blair spend spend and more spend with money we don't have.

He's had one and a bit windows.

The club progressed when we had stability at the top.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports