Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Hughton nth Longest Serving Manager in the English League

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So the median for a manager in his job is now 11 months.

Why do clubs and managers go through this charade of fixed term contract of employment? Managers are ten a penny, most seem to get a contract for the season of appointment plus two on top of that, but are sacked in a year. Martin O'Neill had the right idea - a rolling contract on a season by season basis.

Two year contract - sacked within 6 months = compensation. I don't know why clubs offer it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just nice to finally have the first proper football manager in charge at the Amex. First non-nutter manager IMHO. Got there in the end. Sweet :thumbsup:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Football is about the only job you get paid well for even being a failure. Should chairmen be looking at deals like Gus, Tanno and Charlie are reported to be on at AEK Athens to end of season then renegotiable, especially the lower division less well off clubs.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Football is about the only job you get paid well for even being a failure. Should chairmen be looking at deals like Gus, Tanno and Charlie are reported to be on at AEK Athens to end of season then renegotiable, especially the lower division less well off clubs.

AEK for Poyet is an admission of failure for the man, After six months on the dole it's an acknowledge he has to do a climbdown to pay the mortgage. Nobody falling over themselves to hire him here, that's for sure. Don't care about his worthless sidekicks, they're as rubbish and disposable as Clarkson's Top Gear sidekicks.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
AEK for Poyet is an admission of failure for the man, After six months on the dole it's an acknowledge he has to do a climbdown to pay the mortgage. Nobody falling over themselves to hire him here, that's for sure. Don't care about his worthless sidekicks, they're as rubbish and disposable as Clarkson's Top Gear sidekicks.

Not disputing that but I see the principal of his contract a good example for lower less well off clubs to follow.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I'm sure the multi millionaire, who got another three million pay off from Sunderland is down to his last few thousands. Your comments about Tanno and Charlie, aren't worthy of you.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm sure the multi millionaire, who got another three million pay off from Sunderland is down to his last few thousands. Your comments about Tanno and Charlie, aren't worthy of you.

Sorry, have to agree to disagree with you mate, but at some point Tanno and Charlie are going to have to man up and forge their own careers. Only so long that Tanno can get by by looking terminally bored and disinterested on Poyet's touchline. As for Charlie - jeez! What a charmed life for somebody who would normally on planet earth fail the interview for Whitehawk. Wish both chancers well. Obviously.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sorry, have to agree to disagree with you mate, but at some point Tanno and Charlie are going to have to man up and forge their own careers. Only so long that Tanno can get by by looking terminally bored and disinterested on Poyet's touchline. As for Charlie - jeez! What a charmed life for somebody who would normally on planet earth fail the interview for Whitehawk. Wish both chancers well. Obviously.

I'll agree to disagree otherwise we could fall out.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
45th with Clark gone from Reading?

Yup.

Wiki has 50th.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_Football_League_managers

46th = 12.5 months :eek:

if you took the number of days each current champ manager in their job averaged over the 24 teams, it is 487 days / 16 months. Obviously not all of their time been in the champ but shows average stay is 1 and a third years.

Wikipedia can sometimes lag behind in the news, and it can depend on what dates people put in when there is a discrepency between the appointment being announced and the appointment taking effect (eg Van Gaal was announced as the new Utd manager while he was still Holland manager with the note he would start in the role as soon as he was finished with Holland, Teddy Sherringham was announced as taking over at the end of the season, etc).

Hughton was just now when I checked, 46th, but Steve Clarke was still listed as the Reading manager, so will be 45th on wiki whenever someone updates that.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I seem to recall predicting that he might be "top 50 by Christmas" not so long ago. Now likely to be in the top 40!
Club owners' patience is becoming ridiculously short :nono:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
And possibly 44th if JFH joins QPR today (as predicted)?

It's happened. So Houghton's gone up 48 places in 48 weeks - bonkers!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I seem to recall predicting that he might be "top 50 by Christmas" not so long ago. Now likely to be in the top 40!
Club owners' patience is becoming ridiculously short :nono:

I find it difficult to land on one side or the other with this. On one side I can see why under performing managers are let go by owners who are protecting their club (and by proxy their investment). Owners can't afford to slide down the leagues, its just financially ruinous. But, on the other hand I would argue that stability will breed success or, at the very least, enable a club to solidify somewhat. In my mind a club with a long-term, settled manager is probably a better prospect to players than a club with a revolving door policy.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I find it difficult to land on one side or the other with this. On one side I can see why under performing managers are let go by owners who are protecting their club (and by proxy their investment). Owners can't afford to slide down the leagues, its just financially ruinous. But, on the other hand I would argue that stability will breed success or, at the very least, enable a club to solidify somewhat. In my mind a club with a long-term, settled manager is probably a better prospect to players than a club with a revolving door policy.

Agreed Look at the way Arsenal and Man U under the Wenger/Ferguson duopoly dominated the Premiership until the rise of Chelski. But there are far more managers around and ex-managers in Punditland. They can probably put their oars in to owners. It was always rumoured years ago that Man U got shot of Frank O'Farrell in the early 1970's because Tommy Docherty got in with Matt Busby and co. That happens now too I guess.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here