Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton leaves with immediate effect

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Which one would that be?

Jumping to conclusions there -

Bloom might be ambitious - but unless he is willing to plough the rest of his reputed £1billion wealth into the club then Brighton are stuck fighting relegation - and maybe even then it wouldn't work. The only club that has been able to break out of the bottom half of the table over the last 20 years has been Leicester, bought by a company with revenue of more than $2billion a year - with a freak win of the PL and then making another £75million from the Champions League - and even they have some down times that have seen them struggle.

Wolves have done the same.

Watford have found a formula that works.

Palarse have found a formula to blow £100m’s in fees and wages, which has been great news for agents and hanger-on’s such as Not-So-Bright, in milking Parish’s investment.

Norwich always drop back down, playing terrible football.

Last edited:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The only club that has been able to break out of the bottom half of the table over the last 20 years has been Leicester

Another brilliant stat. Simply not true.

Spurs were quite often bottom half
As were Everton
West Ham finished 10th this year, have been relegated
Man City (you know, the team that won it)

And then you have one offs like Bournemouth and Burnley.

You're very good at making stuff up.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Every Premier League club currently has a manager. Except us.
Answer the question.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Hughton has had all the tools to be successful here, and he has been. He's been remarkably successful and that will never be forgotten. This season we did have some dreadful luck with injuries, no Izquierdo all season and with players frequently dipping in and out. Gross was half the player he was last season, and he too struggled with injuries for the majority of the season.

But even considering all of this, we had the squad to cope and we have players who simply didn't perform when they played. Knockaert and March were played frequently but contributed positively in an attacking sense once every 4/5 games. Obviously, that's not good enough. Glenn Murray scored a very healthy number of goals, he couldn't have done any more than he did. Duffy scored a handful as well, but we had just 1 goal from central midfield all season. Gross scored a couple as well, and the wingers contributed another 3/4 (albeit a match winning and season saving winner at Palace from Knockaert). No goals from full backs though. It's obvious what our problem was, and there was never an attempt to address it by altering tactics or utilising the players who were fit and available.

A thoroughly disappointing season but a success in terms of staying up, and dragging ourselves to a Wembley FA Cup Semi-Final - and actually performing pretty well in it.
Knowing that there was an injury problem why did Hughton not recruit in the January window? If it was Barber/Bloom decision that Hughton went along with then we have to ask why didn't he insist on bringing at least two players in? If it was a three way decision let's hope the appointment of Ashworth prevents such monumental cock ups happening again.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Which one would that be?

Jumping to conclusions there -

Bloom might be ambitious - but unless he is willing to plough the rest of his reputed £1billion wealth into the club then Brighton are stuck fighting relegation - and maybe even then it wouldn't work. The only club that has been able to break out of the bottom half of the table over the last 20 years has been Leicester, bought by a company with revenue of more than $2billion a year - with a freak win of the PL and then making another £75million from the Champions League - and even they have some down times that have seen them struggle.

Tony Bloom has never said he wants us to be Manchester City (£1B is the figure quoted that they have spent on their infrastructure and team) - so don't talk wet.
And why do you think we will spend £100M "just to stand still" - where do you get that figure from?
As usual, you're talking made-up crap.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Pretty clear to me that we got lucky to stay up this season. Without the strong pre-Christmas form, we would have been relegated with games still to be played. Just run a comparison of the table at the half season and end of season.

In the second half we managed the second worst points haul (only team worse was Hudds), and the third worst GD (Hudds and Fulham).

Essentially, our form disintegrated. Add on top of that the way Hughton started talking quite negatively around our ability to score goals through the final few games of the season and you can see why the decision was made to ditch. Felt to me that Hughton was verbally shrugging his shoulders and the reading-between-the-lines message was pretty much "I've got nothing left".

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Do you think this season was as good as it gets then? There is middle ground between super defensive & expansive attacking football.

No of course not but I also don't think the WHOLE season was as bad as some have made out.
We went through a poor run but survived.
Looking at the first season and a half in the Premier League I think CH found the middle ground you talk about perfectly.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No of course not but I also don't think the WHOLE season was as bad as some have made out.
Looking at the first season and a half in the Premier League I think CH found the middle ground you talk about perfectly.

It was diabolical. Out of 38 PL matches, we only played well with attacking threats, against:

Watford H
Newcastle H (last 30 minutes)
ManU H
CP H
CP A
Fulham A (first half)
Leicester H against 10 men possibly?
Hudd A from the moment Mounie was sent off?

Leaving 60+ PL halves of losing football or mass 10 man Alamo defending.

Whether it was CH’s fault, or a lack of squad quality, crikey it was dire.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Having had a day and a half now to get over the shock of CH sacking, my initial feelings have changed.I’ve read a lot on here, and in the press, the Telegraph article , the Guardian one, and I can understand why Chris was sacked. Had our manager (ex) been a complete arsehat like Pardew, Alladyce, or even Mourinhio, I would have wanted him out 2 months ago, the football was dire, and , unfortunately the results weren’t good enough to justify it. However, Chris is such a decent human being, and taking our club from down among the dead men of the Championship to securing a third season in the PL, I thought he deserved the benefit of the doubt.

But, that wouldn’t have counted for anything next season, which I feel will be our hardest, no matter who is in charge, and, I don’t think Chris is up to it. I really hate saying that, and I feel a bit ashamed, but, it is my conclusion after the last 15 or so games.
Tony Bloom has got a huge amount of money invested in the club, and needs PL football at the club, and unfortunately, Chris has become a casualty of this essential requirement.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Having had a day and a half now to get over the shock of CH sacking, my initial feelings have changed.I’ve read a lot on here, and in the press, the Telegraph article , the Guardian one, and I can understand why Chris was sacked. Had our manager (ex) been a complete arsehat like Pardew, Alladyce, or even Mourinhio, I would have wanted him out 2 months ago, the football was dire, and , unfortunately the results weren’t good enough to justify it. However, Chris is such a decent human being, and taking our club from down among the dead men of the Championship to securing a third season in the PL, I thought he deserved the benefit of the doubt.

But, that wouldn’t have counted for anything next season, which I feel will be our hardest, no matter who is in charge, and, I don’t think Chris is up to it. I really hate saying that, and I feel a bit ashamed, but, it is my conclusion after the last 15 or so games.
Tony Bloom has got a huge amount of money invested in the club, and needs PL football at the club, and unfortunately, Chris has become a casualty of this essential requirement.

I think on balance there will be a lot of people now pondering this, I'm not in that space and not sure I ever will be but to each their own. Personally I still think some in the squad are too big for their boots, and are at best a championship team. But whatever the reason and the whys and wherefores, I still cannot reconcile the way it was done. That is not who we are nor how we operate. He will go down in history as one of our best, and we cut him off at the knees the day after celebrating on the pitch with his family. That is disrespectful and TB has lost a lot of cred with me for that alone. Very very unnecessary.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Disagree Palace kept us up not Hughton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here