Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chris Hughton: 'It’s a good feeling to be the manager of a big club'

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Sorry to say that’s wrong. That group of players should not be rock bottom. As Swansman says, mid table more realistic.

He inherited a squad of old players on big money who were playing out their time by making as little effort as possible - 17 of them were dumped and the owners did little or nothing to replace them. Apart from 3 good loan signings Hughton was largely left with a bunch of poor journeymen signed as free agents to fil out the squad - and when you have injuries to first team players then that is not good enough.

Hughton could well be sacked - but as has been said - this is a poor group of players who will struggle to get out of the bottom three. Swansman says they should be mid-table - but while there are a couple of good players in the team, there are few poorer squads in the Championship. In fact I would only class Peterborough as being in a worse position. Hughton won't walk away - its not in his nature - he will feel a responsibility to put things right but it is an open question whether he (or anyone else) would be able to and whether he will be given the time.

I don't want to see Hughton getting sacked - but he is hoping he will be available when Stephen Kenny gets sacked from the Ireland job. After going with 1 win (against Andorra) in 16 games I can see him lasting beyond the three upcoming games against Azerbijan, Portugal and Luxembourg in October and November - Ireland will probably lose all three - but even if they were to get a couple of draws he should be sacked (particularly after claiming this week that the plan was never to try and qualify for the world cup).

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Is CH now joining the band of managers whose approach is becoming slightly outdated?

I certainly don’t think his approach is outdated for championship football but it does need the right players to implement. When he first joined us we still looked really poor with the Hyppia squad. Fortunately he was very well backed by TB and the rest was history.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
By that argument, Arsenal just have shit players then.

I've seen Forest twice this season - early on at Cov when they threw away the lead late on to lose 2-1. And today.

Its certainly not all down to CH, as they had a firesale and he's been left with kids and loans. But from what I've seen, they are absolute dogshit and fully primed for L1.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Their league position agrees with me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you're right. The front two are Grabban whose goal scoring prowess has fallen off a cliff, and Lyle Taylor, an absolute goal vacuum, who is also a prize dick head: "Taylor has refused to follow the EFL initiative to take the knee before football matches. In an interview, Taylor described Black Lives Matter as a 'Marxist group' that 'are using racial unrest to push their own political agenda'." :eek::wanker:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He inherited a squad of old players on big money who were playing out their time by making as little effort as possible - 17 of them were dumped and the owners did little or nothing to replace them. Apart from 3 good loan signings Hughton was largely left with a bunch of poor journeymen signed as free agents to fil out the squad - and when you have injuries to first team players then that is not good enough.

Hughton could well be sacked - but as has been said - this is a poor group of players who will struggle to get out of the bottom three. Swansman says they should be mid-table - but while there are a couple of good players in the team, there are few poorer squads in the Championship. In fact I would only class Peterborough as being in a worse position. Hughton won't walk away - its not in his nature - he will feel a responsibility to put things right but it is an open question whether he (or anyone else) would be able to and whether he will be given the time.

I don't want to see Hughton getting sacked - but he is hoping he will be available when Stephen Kenny gets sacked from the Ireland job. After going with 1 win (against Andorra) in 16 games I can see him lasting beyond the three upcoming games against Azerbijan, Portugal and Luxembourg in October and November - Ireland will probably lose all three - but even if they were to get a couple of draws he should be sacked (particularly after claiming this week that the plan was never to try and qualify for the world cup).

He's never going to get the Ireland job after this.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I think you're right. The front two are Grabban whose goal scoring prowess has fallen off a cliff, and Lyle Taylor, an absolute goal vacuum, who is also a prize dick head: "Taylor has refused to follow the EFL initiative to take the knee before football matches. In an interview, Taylor described Black Lives Matter as a 'Marxist group' that 'are using racial unrest to push their own political agenda'." :eek::wanker:

You might want to visit their website

#awkward

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You might want to visit their website

#awkward

Has someone been making mischievous edits to his wikipedia page (the source of my cut and paste)?

Edit: Can't find anything relevant. Yes I realise he's black :shrug:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Difficult to score goals when you are only allowed to be on the opponents half when its 0-0.

Zinckernagel, Garner, Lolley, Grabban are competent attacking players, plenty of Championship teams would be jealous of that quality, skill and experience, too bad they are not allowed to do anything with it. Defense is not shabby either with plenty players proven at Championship level or higher.

Someone can and will make this team perform better football and better results. Its not a mission impossible, Chris Hughton just failed and he wont be able to turn this one around.
Shit happens. Doesnt mean that he cant be successful if he starts over in another club.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Difficult to score goals when you are only allowed to be on the opponents half when its 0-0.

Zinckernagel, Garner, Lolley, Grabban are competent attacking players, plenty of Championship teams would be jealous of that quality, skill and experience, too bad they are not allowed to do anything with it. Defense is not shabby either with plenty players proven at Championship level or higher.

Someone can and will make this team perform better football and better results. Its not a mission impossible, Chris Hughton just failed and he wont be able to turn this one around.
Shit happens. Doesnt mean that he cant be successful if he starts over in another club.

I think you've over-rated their attacking ability. They look toothless and their stats back it up. They have no players who worry the opposition. At least last season they had Knockaert and Murray who carried a threat.

I think there's a lot of teams in the Championship with one or two dangerous players, but Forest aren't one of them. Right now they look doomed and I don't see another manager getting this bunch to raise their game enough to survive. And I speak as someone who would like to see a competitive Forest side.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think you've over-rated their attacking ability. They look toothless and their stats back it up. They have no players who worry the opposition. At least last season they had Knockaert and Murray who carried a threat.

I think there's a lot of teams in the Championship with one or two dangerous players, but Forest aren't one of them. Right now they look doomed and I don't see another manager getting this bunch to raise their game enough to survive. And I speak as someone who would like to see a competitive Forest side.

Knockaert and Murray? What did they do? Absolutely nothing.

Yes they look toothless and their stats back it up and thats why they need someone to come in with fresh ideas to make them less toothless and improve their stats. Lewis Grabban scored 20 goals in the Championship the season before CH took over. Lyle Taylor scored 11 in just 22 appearances. Joe Lolley also scored 11, as a winger. They might not reach those numbers again but someone can make them perform better than they currently are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here