Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chris Hughton: 'It’s a good feeling to be the manager of a big club'

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Here they come... the ‘Chris is God, our club made a mistake sacking him’ brigade of morons... what a major surprise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're very blinkered and narrow minded. You also don't seem to be able to read as I haven't inferred any of that. You go on the Ignore List as you add nothing and are probably just a Troll. Cheerio.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Took us from a relegation battle in the championship, assembled a lot of his own squad, got us promoted to the premier league and despite the last few months of insipid football, made us a solid premier league team and always handled himself and club affairs with the highest esteem.

It’s like anything, I don’t get people who judge managers on the run before they get sacked - nearly every manager in football gets sacked at some point, it’s like judging Mourinho on his last year at Chelsea rather than everything else he achieved for them.

Very childish and simplistically minded if you ask me.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I tend to agree that Chris (eventually) did an outstanding job after arriving at a club looking set for a real struggle - although I’d caveat that by saying he was backed and supported brilliantly by the board to realise his vision. A true great can turn a team of no hopers into winners, but they’re a rare footballing find indeed... he didn’t really do that, but what he did do was sign players at the right time and at the right stage their careers to help build a squad more than capable of remounting a serious challenge.

He’ll need time - who knows? ... maybe he’s in no rush to get back to a division where he has consistently failed to sustain real momentum... I jest of course, but it must play on his mind. Is he hungry ? Is he weary ? Will he be given time ? You could say the same about Knocky too ... it’s going to be interesting, but I wouldn’t bet against Forest being a force from next season.

No hero worship here btw, but Chris will always be fondly remembered by me as a good manager and (I am sure) a very decent footballing man in an age of absolute cockends galore.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Bong hasn't even made the bench in recent games. Knocky hauled off on the hour mark yesterday.

Knocky smacks as a Adams style signing (at the wrong time), keep on bringing back your favorites... playing a tune of diminishing returns. I don’t think he’s the same player he was prior to that difficult last season with us... he’s a bit one dimensional and relies (imho) on his ‘inner ‘anger’ to fire him... I also think his PL level failings have reduced his confidence ... again, happy to be proven wrong.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I was shocked that CH was sacked in the way he was but I totally get it, I just didn’t think Bloom would do it in such a cold hearted way. Having said that I was of the opinion that he needed to go but that takes absolutely nothing away from what he did for this club. CH found the Holy Grail and kept it for two seasons, whilst giving us two of the best seasons I have experienced since starting to follow the Albion on our journey to the PL. He IS an Albion legend and I hate the swipes still going on about the dire last few months of his tenure, and how that over rides all that went before.

CH :bowdown:

I really hope that he gets the time to turn Forest around, because he will if backed.

He will get them sorted.

Too many poor players discarded by other Clubs for a reason.

Comparisons with Brighton are so uncanny.

Loads of poor players who had arrived on big wages before his arrival that don't fit the way he wants to play and who are not capable of adapting I don't think.

Difficult to off load no doubt . Some people probably think he should adapt to what he has. I have a different view. My view is that his methods have been proven to work at that level. The players on the other hand. Very few if any of them have had any success at that level in terms of getting Promoted.

That being the case. I know whose methods I would be aligning myself behind

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
People probably don’t give Chris credit for keeping us up. Not just the first season, but in “the” difficult second season. Something that has brutalised a number of clubs, Huddersfield come to mind, Sheff Utd this season.

So he deserves huge credit for that. That said, we stayed up in our last season with him by the utter skin of our teeth. (As has been crudely commentated, the Cardiff episode may have ended up favouring us). And tactically then, he did look lost and the only way he could make us competitive was by backs to the wall defending.

That is elite level though. In the Championship. I still think Chris is a very good manager at that level. And given time, I have absolutely no doubt he’ll get Forest in the mix for promotion. He needs time though.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
it was grim but I felt that his first task was to make us solid and tough to beat- which we were. I might be wrong but I think we won 3 matches in a row fairly early on in his spell which put us quite easily clear of the relegation zone, but once we felt we were "safe" we really struggled to win a game or even score a goal

plus of course there was Leon Best.....

I felt that CH was managing expectations a little in that first half season.
Steered us to safety, but I felt we could have done better.

Some of the later team selections were just barmy. Leon Best being the most frequent WTF?? selection.

I felt he was keeping his powder dry for a much improved first full season.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Bong hasn't even made the bench in recent games. Knocky hauled off on the hour mark yesterday.

He was actually about to start a few games ago but got injured in warm-up.

He will get them sorted.

Too many poor players discarded by other Clubs for a reason.

Comparisons with Brighton are so uncanny.

Loads of poor players who had arrived on big wages before his arrival that don't fit the way he wants to play and who are not capable of adapting I don't think.

Difficult to off load no doubt . Some people probably think he should adapt to what he has. I have a different view. My view is that his methods have been proven to work at that level. The players on the other hand. Very few if any of them have had any success at that level in terms of getting Promoted.

That being the case. I know whose methods I would be aligning myself behind

He probably wont get them sorted.

All of what you are saying is probably true if they had competence and patience higher up the chain and gave the manager more freedom but it just isnt the case. They have this over-sized squad year in year out.

Its not like they had bad managers before. Karanka took a shite Boro to the PL. Martin O'Neill is one of the better and most successful British managers in modern history. MON and Lamouchi both said they wanted 23 or 24 players in the squad instead of having 33 or so players, 10 of them always deeply unhappy and unmotivated.

Did they get their wish? No. The club just signed more players through a lot of shady business contacts and agents.

I dont see any reason to believe that CH is a bad manager, he generally got great results over his career. But I think he made a very poor career choice here.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

All of what you are saying is probably true if they had competence and patience higher up the chain and gave the manager more freedom but it just isnt the case. They have this over-sized squad year in year out.

Its not like they had bad managers before. Karanka took a shite Boro to the PL. Martin O'Neill is one of the better and most successful British managers in modern history. MON and Lamouchi both said they wanted 23 or 24 players in the squad instead of having 33 or so players, 10 of them always deeply unhappy and unmotivated.

Did they get their wish? No. The club just signed more players through a lot of shady business contacts and agents.

I dont see any reason to believe that CH is a bad manager, he generally got great results over his career. But I think he made a very poor career choice here.

Agree with all of that, I don’t think he’ll he there long unfortunately.

I appreciate they’re a ‘big’ club but it did always seem risky going there from his point of view.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

And you are privy to discussions he may have had ?

Thought not .

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I know a lot about Marinakis and any promise he gives is not worth a lot.

Time will tell.

All you know is what you've read on the internet.

You quote Martin O'Neal in your post as a previous example. There was a lot more to his departure than a Standard Sacking of a Football Manager. None of which would ever equate to circumstances at present.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

You quote Martin O'Neal in your post as a previous example. There was a lot more to his departure than a Standard Sacking of a Football Manager. None of which would ever equate to circumstances at present.

Yes, from things I've read on the Internet, the largest source of information ever invented.

Now, where are you getting your information that makes you apparently convinced that CH will get the chance to turn this chronic shite club around?

Remember when I called Celtic a poorly run club and you fumingly went in on the "no they're not" take? Lets hope things work out better for CH.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
You're very blinkered and narrow minded. You also don't seem to be able to read as I haven't inferred any of that. You go on the Ignore List as you add nothing and are probably just a Troll. Cheerio.

My pleasure. Enjoy your covered ears. Snowflake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015

Unfortunately MON has long gone past his sell-by date.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here