Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Hughton 1/7 on sky bet for next Brighton manager

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
When you look at the list of potential candidates and then look at those likely to be interested in the position with other opportunities becoming available then I think Hughton would be an ok result for us

That's high praise indeed. So we get the least worst rather than someone who is going to grab this club by the scruff of the neck and get us moving up the table.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
We are a team at the bottom of the Championship. Who on earth do you reckon we are going to attract ? Has Chris ever managed a team this low before ? Of course the answer is no. About time that many on here wake up and smell the coffee. He would be a very good appointment, that is if he is prepared to come here. He is better regarded than us right now. There is a need to realise where we are and if we get him we will be fortunate.

Of course he is no guarantee of results. No manager is. He does not make waves though and I believe him to be honourable. If we can appoint him he will be decent and one can say no more than that really.

This, this, this and some more of this.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
People who think Chris Hughton would be some sort of cheap or poor appointment must be the same sorts who think that we shouldn't go after Messi as he's past his best.

Deluded.

Quite.Messi has at least one half decent season in him and would be well worth a small bid.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think, irrespective of our current league position most potential managers would consider it a good job based on our potential and more important time given by the chairman as demonstrated with SH no knee jerk sacking.

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
We are a team at the bottom of the Championship. Who on earth do you reckon we are going to attract ? Has Chris ever managed a team this low before ? Of course the answer is no. About time that many on here wake up and smell the coffee. He would be a very good appointment, that is if he is prepared to come here. He is better regarded than us right now. There is a need to realise where we are and if we get him we will be fortunate.

Of course he is no guarantee of results. No manager is. He does not make waves though and I believe him to be honourable. If we can appoint him he will be decent and one can say no more than that really.

Well said!

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
That's high praise indeed. So we get the least worst rather than someone who is going to grab this club by the scruff of the neck and get us moving up the table.

Unfortunately that's the way it works. If there was only us and 4 other league 1 clubs with vacancies then we would be the 1st choice for most managers looking for employment

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
People who think Chris Hughton would be some sort of cheap or poor appointment must be the same sorts who think that we shouldn't go after Messi as he's past his best.

Deluded.

Probably the same people who thought Ashley Barnes was League One at best

Hughton would be a pretty good appointment: he must still have hopes of PL so would be a bit of a coup to get him

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007

B&HA is the only team I've come across whose supporters underestimate the size of their club. Chris Hughton seems a very pleasant fellow and did a more than decent job at both Newcastle and Birmingham, but the idea that you will be fortunate to get Chris Hughton is ridiculous.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a manager. I'd go so far as to say if I were in Pulis's shoes I'd take the B&HA job before the WBA one. Hughton is such a dull choice and was a huge disappointment in his last post at Norwich; not that I believe one failure should mean a man is written off forever.
As you suggest, go for someone who'll grab the club and lift it to a bright and exciting future. Do as Coventry City did when they appointed the completely inexperienced Jimmy Hill, go for Danny Murphy.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

Quite right.

He may not provide the Gus-esque flair and style that seems such a distant memory now, but in this set of circumstances I'd say appointing him would be a more than decent result.

nick65

Jun 9, 2013
New Jersey

Got to agree with this. No manager has all the qualities we want. Pullis and Sherwood would be exciting appointments but wouldn't they just be using us as a stepping stone? Chris is a young manager with Championship experience, who I think will take us to safety. Maybe it won't be in the most exciting way but I think we need stability and a manager who might still be with us next season.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The only downer on this for me would be that Jones will end up as number 2 as I don't think that Hughton has any baggage to bring with him.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I am another one who thinks Hughton would be a good appointment. If he has a few quid to use in the January window, I am sure he will keep us up. We can then hopefully push on from there the following season.

daveyboy1973

Feb 5, 2010
bexleyheath
If Jones gets them to produce tonight and we go and win, then just give it to him, the players will have proved they want to play for him. Re evaluate it at the end of the season. The most important thing is to get some togetherness and make sure we get out of relegation trouble. A new man coming in might not do any better with this lot !!!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Quite right.

He may not provide the Gus-esque flair and style that seems such a distant memory now, but in this set of circumstances I'd say appointing him would be a more than decent result.

Fantastic use of the English language Frutos ! Would it be right to call fans who were very pro-Gus " Gus-sets " ?

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
Beggars can't be choosers.

In the close season I would have been disappointed with Hughton - but we are in the relegation zone, with two resigned managers in less than a year - we are hardly any manager's dream job right now. Hughton would be a good appointment given our bleak circumstances.

You aren't beggars and you are many managers' dream job right now.
A fantastic stadium and averaging around 25,000 despite having being dreadful this season makes you a very attractive prospect.
If he gets the job it's Hughton who is the fortunate party here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here