Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chris Houghton still unemployed

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Funny how CH can't get any of these Championship jobs seeing as how so many thought we would walk the EFL with him as manager. Maybe potential employers are being put off for some reason ???

As others have said - you are assuming that he wanted these jobs.

Look at it from CH's perspective - he's 60 years old - he spent 4 1/2 years at Brighton getting the club promoted and kept them in the PL (a massive challenge for a club with Brighton's playing budget) - then he got sacked. Would he really want to repeat that process with WBA or Middlesbrough or Derby, knowing that once he got them promoted it would be a major struggle because of lack of money and even if he kept them in the PL the owner could just turn around and sack him. From his perspective it might be better to wait for one of the 3 or 4 jobs that will pop-up in the PL during the season - succeed in keeping them there and then he gets another season to put a team together - instead of spending another four years of getting to the same position only for unrealistic expectations to cost him the job.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
I'm glad someone else posted this, as like you I have been reading many of the sad, snide comments aimed at a respectable man and respected manager.

Unfortunately, when the chips are down, for all the talk of us being "different" we are just like any other shit fans!

Just getting sick of it mate. Seen so much crap said about Hughton it's unreal.
Like people saying he set up against Bournemouth/Burnley/Cardiff trying for a draw - we were the most attacking team in all 3 of those games until the first goal and in all 3 games were hit on the break. We were shit (especially Bournemouth/Cardiff) when we went behind but that is very different from being negative and setting up to try and draw at home.

Like I said I can understand why he was sacked but when I see posters slagging him off for the sake of it after all he has done I just find it sad.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Being pretty neutral on this, I think some people got so tired of the football we were playing it was like getting rid of an unhinged girlfriend you totally fell out of love with. You had some amazing times, but at the end you just wanted rid - and what you say is purely out of relief and a bit of shell-shock.

Then, there are those that break up on amicable terms and see it for what it is. You both changed, you grew apart, but you had some great time which still make you smile.

Finally, you have the 'never wanted it to end' - she dumped ME camp, where you're genuinely upset and can't yet come to terms with it.

We have all three 'types' on here. Never the twain shall meet, but we just have to accept we're all different. No point getting angry or offended if someone has one of the three views above which are different to your own..

If you want to get you head round it from another angle - Chris Hughton has had a great time, bolstered his CV even further in the eyes of clubs with ambition to be PL, is financially secure for the rest of his life, and we now have an exciting period of a new and unproven PL manager to keep us clucking away like chickens in a hen house for another season. :thumbsup:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So ok to be disrespectful to the manager, but not those that gave him the tools to play with, or the tools who were playing for him?
No not ok to be disrespectful full stop.

But if absolute tossers start slagging off the recruitment team and players then they can shag off to the darkest hell.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

Look at it from CH's perspective - he's 60 years old - he spent 4 1/2 years at Brighton getting the club promoted and kept them in the PL (a massive challenge for a club with Brighton's playing budget) - then he got sacked. Would he really want to repeat that process with WBA or Middlesbrough or Derby, knowing that once he got them promoted it would be a major struggle because of lack of money and even if he kept them in the PL the owner could just turn around and sack him. From his perspective it might be better to wait for one of the 3 or 4 jobs that will pop-up in the PL during the season - succeed in keeping them there and then he gets another season to put a team together - instead of spending another four years of getting to the same position only for unrealistic expectations to cost him the job.

Good post - I agree with you. He could be in a PL job by Xmas.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I'm not sure anyone would give him a job to rescue them. They will have seen how he set up Brighton and how we sunk, almost without trace, in the second half of the season!! If you wanted to employ an older manager to save you, more likely to be big Sam (although I can't stand the bloke).

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I'm not sure anyone would give him a job to rescue them. They will have seen how he set up Brighton and how we sunk, almost without trace, in the second half of the season!!.

Maybe I'm living in a parallel universe - but I thought that Brighton didn't get relegated.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'm not sure anyone would give him a job to rescue them. They will have seen how he set up Brighton and how we sunk, almost without trace, in the second half of the season!! If you wanted to employ an older manager to save you, more likely to be big Sam (although I can't stand the bloke).

Good job the first half of the season no longer counts then, or saving us from going down to league 1........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Maybe I'm living in a parallel universe - but I thought that Brighton didn't get relegated.

Well we were all set for a good season but then it went pear shaped. The writing was on the wall with those three consecutive wins against West Ham, Newcastle and Wolves. I'm well aware your CH's biggest fan but the football we played was dire to watch. The project, if there is one, is about improving, not finishing 17th year on year. But I guess you're not worried about that because your a Chris Hughton fan and not an albion one. For those of us that watch a lot of games, it has been a desperate season and TB could see that, hence the change.

Are you in the school of thought that 17th every year should be seen as a success?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Well we were all set for a good season but then it went pear shaped. The writing was on the wall with those three consecutive wins against West Ham, Newcastle and Wolves. I'm well aware your CH's biggest fan but the football we played was dire to watch. The project, if there is one, is about improving, not finishing 17th year on year. But I guess you're not worried about that because your a Chris Hughton fan and not an albion one. For those of us that watch a lot of games, it has been a desperate season and TB could see that, hence the change.

Are you in the school of thought that 17th every year should be seen as a success?

Bloom made the decision of course but I’d be surprised if he didn’t acknowledge privately that he thought long and hard about making the change and that there was a strong case to make for keeping Hughton. Dismissing those out of hand that make that case is unfair on them as fans even if ultimately he plumped for a new coach.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Well we were all set for a good season but then it went pear shaped. The writing was on the wall with those three consecutive wins against West Ham, Newcastle and Wolves.

I was amazed at the time at many reactions on here following those games from people who couldn't see that all three were very lucky results that would not be maintained playing like that. Whilst I was delighted at getting the points, there was clearly a problem then that many could not or did not want to see.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was amazed at the time at many reactions on here following those games from people who couldn't see that all three were very lucky results that would not be maintained playing like that. Whilst I was delighted at getting the points, there was clearly a problem then that many could not or did not want to see.

Two of those 'very lucky results' were against Newcastle and Wolves, who failed to beat us in the return matches.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here