[Football] Chris Houghton still unemployed

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The whole use of younger players is a difficult one to be fair.

I mean he did use them in the League Cup and also the FA Cup.

But in a relegation battle where every point is critical, is it that easy?

Off the top of my head, Molumby, Sanders, Gyokores and ?White, made the bench in the PL. I would say that’s not too bad.

Who would you have left out to play any of them?

For me maybe Molumby over Kayal, but really is that practical in a relegation battle?

Connolly is great, but not in CH’s formation arguably.

Even now, Potter/the club has signed Clarke when we have White - whilst realising he’ll go out on loan, it means he won’t start with us.

Walton/Sanchez - what happens to them, both more capable than Button IMO.

Tilley scores vs Barnet, but realistically likely to be released.

I just think it’s too easy to say youngsters aren’t given a chance, when there are so many factors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I completely accept that I may look back around January time and think “CH had it absolutely right, we only have the players to defend and hope for a 0-0 draw or maybe sneak a win, whilst not getting thumped by the big boys”

I don’t believe that is the case though and reverting to type after a few narrow defeats was disappointing. Systems and players need time and I don’t think CH gave either the young players or the system enough time.

I expect us to struggle as Potter implements his style, but I am willing to accept the risk. I’d rather be a decent Championship side than a 10 man behind the ball Premier League team, so if we go down so be it. I think we would have gone down with CH next season anyway. Other managers had worked him out and the players had lost motivation and confidence in the last few months. We’ll never know of course and as I have said before there will be plenty of “told you so” comments however it pans out

In short I am really looking forward to next season and it’s not my money if it all goes tits up.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I completely accept that I may look back around January time and think “CH had it absolutely right, we only have the players to defend and hope for a 0-0 draw or maybe sneak a win, whilst not getting thumped by the big boys”

I don’t believe that is the case though and reverting to type after a few narrow defeats was disappointing. Systems and players need time and I don’t think CH gave either the young players or the system enough time.

I expect us to struggle as Potter implements his style, but I am willing to accept the risk. I’d rather be a decent Championship side than a 10 man behind the ball Premier League team, so if we go down so be it. I think we would have gone down with CH next season anyway. Other managers had worked him out and the players had lost motivation and confidence in the last few months. We’ll never know of course and as I have said before there will be plenty of “told you so” comments however it pans out

In short I am really looking forward to next season and it’s not my money if it all goes tits up.

I know we don’t agree, so parking those bits[emoji2]

Re CH you may be right re the relegation, though we do seem to be following the 79-83, format anyway, so survive this year relegation next.

But what about the youngsters, would you play them in the scenario you’ve described? Obviously easier in the Championship [emoji6]

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Ok. So do you think CH had good enough players to allow for a more attacking approach?

We tried to be more expansive once we had points in the bag, and we failed to deliver largely because of the quality of the players available. Of course people can argue that AJ was too deep or Locadia never played in his true position (whatever that is). But when they did or we did go forward, they looked completely lost.

Anyone who has played or coached to any decent level will know football without the ball is largely structure (which is CH’s strength).

With the ball, however, whilst there is structure and rehearsed movement, mainly you rely on natural ability and making the right decision. That is where I believe we struggle. Does anyone seriously believe that Izquierdo is always told to cut inside or Bissouma shoot from impossible angles?

It always looked to me that we wanted to absorb and break quickly, rather than press high and recover possession (as although we tried, we rarely looked comfortable). But breaking quickly does rely on pace and decision making.

I would also argue the nastiness of some of the comments post CH has warranted discussion about other areas within the club, namely the recruitment.

Really, we should just say ‘thank you’ to CH and hope Potter produces the goods, and if the players suddenly become world beaters, we’ll know CH didn’t use them properly.

I was disappointed when we signed AJ, but having see him genuinely believe there is hope for as he’ll be better for a pre-season and hopefully be injury free (he is not going to suddenly gain pace though), also Trossard seems a very exciting signing.

Locadia I simply don’t rate, but then I was also very excited when we signed CMS [emoji2].

Yes, absolutely. Alireza's heatmap for the season was markedly different than from his career. Jahanshackled indeed.

I respect Hughton and reckon he is one of our best managers, but the slateing and blame of certain players and the recruitment team - when Hughton's greatest weakness was his tactics - will only get pushback from me.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yes, absolutely. Alireza's heatmap for the season was markedly different than from his career. Jahanshackled indeed.

I respect Hughton and reckon he is one of our best managers, but the slateing and blame of certain players and the recruitment team - when Hughton's greatest weakness was his tactics - will only get pushback from me.

Fair enough..... re the push-back, feel the same way in terms of CH [emoji2][emoji106]

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I know we don’t agree, so parking those bits[emoji2]

Re CH you may be right re the relegation, though we do seem to be following the 79-83, format anyway, so survive this year relegation next.

But what about the youngsters, would you play them in the scenario you’ve described? Obviously easier in the Championship [emoji6]

I don’t know is the simple answer. If none are good enough to step up then the recruitment team have failed but I have not seen enough of them (only watch first team games) to pass comment. Either the recruitment team or the ex manager were coming up short, can we agree on that?

I was not expecting 6 or 7 players to make it but absolutely none have looked remotely like they are first team material ( when played) since we arrived in the Premier League. Not good enough or not given the game time is the question I guess.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Funny how CH can't get any of these Championship jobs seeing as how so many thought we would walk the EFL with him as manager. Maybe potential employers are being put off for some reason ???

Perhaps he’s not too desperate to return?

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Or the many times he simply gave the ball away but there you go let’s see what Harry potter comes up with,but sine way we need more goals from midfield

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You state he didn't pass the ball forward enough - I pointed out he passed the ball forward more than any player other than Gross.
You then switch your argument to criticise his lack of goals - I point out he scored the same number as Kante from the same position and his role isn't to score goals.
Now your criticism is that he gave the ball away too much. Well he had the highest pass accuracy in our entire squad!!
Want to try again to justify your irrational dislike of one of our players?

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Me too...

Really disappointed by a lot of the comments on NSC, there are a number of posters who seem to find impossible without making a comment, about football style particularly.....

As [MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION] highlighted, the facts are CH saved us from relegation to L1 then had two highly successful and entertaining years in the championship culminating in promotion, then kept us in the hardest league in the world twice....

Gradual improvement is required and if we start going hung-ho attacking wise or don’t get the recruitment right, we will go down. Then it is less likely that we’ll see the U21s, as we’ll be in a relegation battle and that would be the wrong time to introduce them IMO.....

Difficult job for Potter and one CH in the main performed exceptionally well.

Me too.
I have no problem with posters expressing an opinion on CH when relevant but some seem to be constantly having snide digs at him all the time. There is barely a thread on here that doesn't have at least someone having an unnecessary dig at CH.
For example we sign Trossard but on the signing thread rather than just a discussion about Trossard there are lots of digs at CH.
Many of the digs completely ignore the facts as well.
Some of the most common include:
Propper is an attacking mdfielder and CH refused to play him there - reality: Propper played 2 games as an attacking midfielder for the Netherlands but has played the same position as for us in his the rest of his games for the Netherlands
CH continued to pick Murray every game despite Andone being on form and available - reality: Andone was suspended for 3 games after West Brom. Murray was dropped for Palace game but Andone was injured in the warm up. Andone then missed more games due to the injury.
CH should have played Connolly or Moloumby when things were not going well from Jan onwards - reality: Both were suffering long term injuries and were unavailable. Moloumby returned to the bench immediately on return from injury before even playing for U23s.

I accept that form was poor from Jan onwards and accept why he was sacked.
What I can't accept is the nastiness/snideness from some posters toward arguably our best ever manager.
He should be given, and deserves, far more respect than he is getting from some

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Me too.
I have no problem with posters expressing an opinion on CH when relevant but some seem to be constantly having snide digs at him all the time. There is barely a thread on here that doesn't have at least someone having an unnecessary dig at CH.
For example we sign Trossard but on the signing thread rather than just a discussion about Trossard there are lots of digs at CH.
Propper is an attacking mdfielder and CH refused to play him there - reality: Propper played 2 games as an attacking midfielder for the Netherlands but has played the same position as for us in his the rest of his games for the Netherlands
CH continued to pick Murray every game despite Andone being on form and available - reality: Andone was suspended for 3 games after West Brom. Murray was dropped for Palace game but Andone was injured in the warm up. Andone then missed more games due to the injury.
CH should have played Connolly or Moloumby when things were not going well from Jan onwards - reality: Both were suffering long term injuries and were unavailable. Moloumby returned to the bench immediately on return from injury before even playing for U23s.

What I can't accept is the nastiness/snideness from some posters toward arguably our best ever manager.

These are a good side.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Funny how CH can't get any of these Championship jobs seeing as how so many thought we would walk the EFL with him as manager. Maybe potential employers are being put off for some reason ???

Weird isn’t it?
I mean, a tried and trusted manager such as Hewton, who managed to get us automatic promotion with a sixth highest wage budget and kept us in the Premier League twice with a bottom two wage budget.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
The new boss met the players for the first time on Thursday at the American Express Elite Football Performance Centre, and he spoke positively about the group he’s taken charge of ahead of the new season.

He said, "I have inherited what seems to be a really good group and a really good football club, and I think that's testament to Chris [Hughton] and the quality of leadership that he brought.

“I need some better players Tony, not sure how he kept this lot up”

"I think they've done a fantastic job if you look at it from the outside, promotion from the Championship and then keeping the club in the Premier League for two years is not easy to do.

“Especially looking at this lot here”

"As a coach I know how difficult it is and I am full of respect for the job Chris has done.”

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Me too.

I'm glad someone else posted this, as like you I have been reading many of the sad, snide comments aimed at a respectable man and respected manager.

Unfortunately, when the chips are down, for all the talk of us being "different" we are just like any other shit fans!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The new boss met the players for the first time on Thursday at the American Express Elite Football Performance Centre, and he spoke positively about the group he’s taken charge of ahead of the new season.

He said, "I have inherited what seems to be a really good group and a really good football club, and I think that's testament to Chris [Hughton] and the quality of leadership that he brought.

“I need some better players Tony, not sure how he kept this lot up”

"I think they've done a fantastic job if you look at it from the outside, promotion from the Championship and then keeping the club in the Premier League for two years is not easy to do.

“Especially looking at this lot here”

"As a coach I know how difficult it is and I am full of respect for the job Chris has done.”

Disrespectful trolling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports