Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

chris holdroydnew striker

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Beckford was from wealdstone and he hasn't prove to bad! Zamora was banging them
in for bath city (albeit on loan). Dj Campbell was at yeading

George Boyd, Aaron Maclean were both non league. Mackail-smith may also have been(not sure)

anyway the point is there is ALWAYS going to abe talent in the lower leagues so writing anyone off would be VERY naive.

Last edited:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Beckford was from wealdstobe and he hasn't prove to bad! Zamora was banging them
in for bath city (albeit on loan). Dj Campbell was at teasing

George Boyd, Aaron Maclean were both non league. Mackail-smith may also have been(not sure)

anyway the point is there is ALWAYS going to abe talent in the lower leagues so writing anyone off would be lyicrous and VERY naive.
No... What is naive is keep pointing out other clubs success at picking up talent when we should be looking at ours which is quite frankly been crap for years.
Maybe Gus can sort out our scouts or is a better judge of a player.Who knows but there does seem to be a problem somewhere.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Can't remember his name (Charlie ?)but there's a guy banging in the goals for Swindon at the moment having signed from Poole in the summer. And as Mejona said, the likes of Boyd, Mackail-Smith, McLean and Beckford were all signed from Conference clubs.

Why not take a gamble on someone who probably has a lot more to prove and a greater incentive to make something of himself than a journeyman from a Championship club's reserves? If it doesn't come off, we don't lose much, but have plenty to gain. Most Conference clubs are fully professional these days so it's not quite the step up it used to be, at least not for the top non-league players.

We've signed enough shit Football League time-servers and Premier League reserves over the years, so I'm quite happy to at least give a chance to non-league players.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Can't remember his name (Charlie ?)but there's a guy banging in the goals for Swindon at the moment having signed from Poole in the summer. And as Mejona said, the likes of Boyd, Mackail-Smith, McLean and Beckford were all signed from Conference clubs.

Why not take a gamble on someone who probably has a lot more to prove and a greater incentive to make something of himself than a journeyman from a Championship club's reserves? If it doesn't come off, we don't lose much, but have plenty to gain. Most Conference clubs are fully professional these days so it's not quite the step up it used to be, at least not for the top non-league players.

We've signed enough shit Football League time-servers and Premier League reserves over the years, so I'm quite happy to at least give a chance to non-league players.

Agree 100%

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004

Charlie Austin is his name. Michael Kightly was picked up by Wolves from non-league too.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Gus doesn't know alot about the lower leagues, so it will just have to be players like painter this month. Guys will experience who have struggled to play this season for teams above us, or maybe a player in Monkhouse's position. Hartlepool will finish comfortably in the middle of the league so selling him for a good price wouldn't be a disaster to their season.
I'd rather the guys we are getting then a risk of a non-league player

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Nobody is saying that we shouldn't sign experienced league players, merely that it shouldn't be an issue giving a chance to someone from outside the FL bubble now and again.

The potential gains are significant- how much is George Boyd worth now (even more if he had any pace)? Or Beckford?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Austin

Durlston

"Southgate, you're the one!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Millwall signed Steve Morison from Stevenage in the summer and he's doing brilliant, got about 16 goals already this season.

zego

Jul 10, 2003
Wasn't Malcolm Posket all-but from non-league?

There must be quite a few in non-league who don't make an impact in their teens whilst playing against equal-age, not equal-skill players, who don't think of themselves as career pro footballers, yet mature into very able and talented players later in life.

Durlston

"Southgate, you're the one!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Millwall signed Steve Morison from Stevenage in the summer and he's doing brilliant, got about 16 goals already this season.

Just checked on Soccerbase.10 goals so far, still not bad from non-league.

Fergus96

Oct 20, 2004
Hove
I believe Stuart Pearce was Non League at the age of 23, before being snapped up, 70 odd England caps later.

I'm not saying this chap will go on to play for England, but sometimes you have to take a gamble, if it pays off, then pat on the back, if not, review the selection process.

withdean62

Aug 20, 2008
pearce and beckford both from wealdstone pearce was playing conference football,beckford was playing ryman premier,and i wrote to the club to look at him but we bought revell instead,by the way vinnie jones was at wealdstone and made a decent career.

Sir Dougie Freedman

Dec 8, 2008
Chris Holroyd is an overrated peice of shit. Seen him twice for Cambridge United against Stevenage and he's done f*** all each time.

If you want decent conference players try

Micheal Bostwick
+
Scott Laird

both of them are at Stevenage and could easily make the step up to League 1in my opinion. Laird is a LB and by far the best in the league, whilst Bostwick is a centre back or a centre mid (better in the midfielder) and has been fantastic for the last season and a bit. Both young around 21 I think

Would suggest them to Palace fans but you know...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here