Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris, Consistency & Captains

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Agree with most of the above comments. Hughton is proving to be a very astute and intelligent manager.

If I had a ctiricism, it would be his persistence with Best for two or three games (who did nothing of note) when he had a much better option (O'Grady) on the bench ... as he showed us on Tueday evening.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Agree with most of the above comments. Hughton is proving to be a very astute and intelligent manager.

If I had a ctiricism, it would be his persistence with Best for two or three games (who did nothing of note) when he had a much better option (O'Grady) on the bench ... as he showed us on Tueday evening.
Didn't Best play at Cardiff and Wed? (I hope he did as this will be even less relevant).

Straight after the Forest debacle, Hughton had 2 opportunities to keep clean sheets and play accordingly, without expectations.
Whichever striker he played would have been on an absolute hiding to nothing.
CMS is the devil incarnate partly because of the amount of those games he's played in.

Play Best get him match fit and hold the big guns back for the 2 must win games.

I don't think any other AMEX manager would have Plan B, C, & D'd there way through those 4 games, undefeated with 8 points, straight after the Forest kicking.

Last edited:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
In regards to CH didnt a Norwich fan come on here and state that he made useless subsitutions?? Since he has go here I would have to see he has done anything but, tuesday was a prime example.

As for Leadership in the team, I think you are right, we do have a more well rounded team of leaders, however I would still be keen to see Greer step down from the role as captain, however he has been 3 managers first choice so he clearly has something.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
He also stands up throughout the entire game. Not even a ball straight into the face floored him.
Hyypia sat in the dugout with arms crossed is the lasting image for me. No fight, no clue - Houghton on the other hand is a born leader. I get the impression he is hard but fair and the players are obviously responding to this. Once we get over the line this season it is going to be great to have a settled close season. I am loving his press conferences - his insight and intelligence is just first class. The right man at the right time.

Top post and succinctly put. I really warm to the guy and believe that, with a couple of astute buys/loans close season, we will be well top 1/2 next year. No reason to go overboard because with the teams coming down and the strength at the top of the Championship at the moment, one would be foolish to think it would be a cakewalk next season. However, I remain optimistic and believe that, whilst it would be good to test our toes in the warm waters of the Premiership, having a paddle in the lagoon of the Championship ain't a bad place to be.

TNBA

TTF

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I think he's done a great job, and I love the way he speaks in interviews and press conferences, and understands the game, the opposition and how to set the team up. I'm a big fan of him, and think that the summer and next season will be bright (can't be a lot darker than the autumn months.

However, there is one slightly nagging feeling I have: Fair enough give CH the plaudits for Kayal, but what is/was the point of bringing Ledesma in?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think he's done a great job, and I love the way he speaks in interviews and press conferences, and understands the game, the opposition and how to set the team up. I'm a big fan of him, and think that the summer and next season will be bright (can't be a lot darker than the autumn months.

However, there is one slightly nagging feeling I have: Fair enough give CH the plaudits for Kayal, but what is/was the point of bringing Ledesma in?

Solly March's injury, so we have less options. Games are coming thick & fast, and one more injury could scupper us, so Ledesma is an option.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
So for most, it seems obvious that Hughton has made a massive difference to the way our team is set up. He's meticulous in his preparation and seems to a) know his players and their strengths and b) know his opposition and be tactically nimble where possible.

However, two things stand out as key differences between Hughton's Albion and Hyypia's:

1) Consistency: playing a settled team, changing little things here or there but creating a team that knows each other and their jobs is vital to a functional unit;

2) Captains: Under Hyypia, Greer was injured, Calderon didn't play unless Bruno was injured or suspended, Stockdale was very much in and out of form and our team lacked on field leadership. Now, Stockdale, Greer, Calderon and especially Kayal have given a spine of leadership throughout the team. They take responsibility and it makes a huge difference to the teams confidence.

Whether Hyypia was unlucky or Hughton is just better is not necessarily for me to say but these two aspects have been key to our turnaround. This pleases me. That is all.

This is what most people seem to have forgotten...and very astute of you to remember

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Imagine if Hughton offered Kemy another year, all this love, praise and goodwill straight down the pan. :lolol:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Thank you [MENTION=16359]JBizzle[/MENTION] for starting this thread which, thus far, has a number of intelligent comments.
I'm quite surprised by the lack of clear support for Hughton on here. Everything he says is intelligent, clear, and makes ultimate sense. His selections also are entirely understandable, whereas his substitutions are better than that. He's shown that he has a better understanding of how the game his going, what his options on the bench are, and where we are in terms of the way the match is going.
I, too, am looking forward to next season. Even more than that, I'm looking forward to the summer transfer window, to see who we release, who comes in, and when this happens. Until two weeks ago, I was firmly of the view that we'd gone through four poor transfer windows. I/we now know that it's only three. Kayal is in our squad. This is Hughton's input, and all I can say is hurrah.
In terms of the summer, I've now entirely revised my view on CMS, who I'd rather now stays, provided he's willing to accept it will be on substantially reduced wages, and that he'll be used selectively, although if he can prove himself, he'll get more game time. Calde will also re-sign, but that needs to be secured imminently. It might even be worth re-signing Casper.
What we need is quality, as with Kayal. I'd much rather have that, and have a smaller squad (relying on the DS or emergency loans) than the scatter-gun, last-minute approach of Burke's last window.
Onwards and upwards.

We have come on massively, there is no denying that, though a few irritations remain, namely the inability to create much let alone score away from home. The last three home matches have been very good, though we were lucky on Tuesday night, as they were clearly better. I am not in the slightest trying to do CH down, who is clearly a vast improvement on SH, and he has to work with a squad that is not necessarily of his choosing, but proof of the pudding will be the summer transfer window, when the playing results of his judgement will be there for all to see. Leon Best? Perhaps this is unfair, as he had limited opportunity - a certain Israeli midfielder gives us far more reason to be optimistic. So far so good.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
In regards to CH didnt a Norwich fan come on here and state that he made useless subsitutions?? Since he has go here I would have to see he has done anything but, tuesday was a prime example.

As for Leadership in the team, I think you are right, we do have a more well rounded team of leaders, however I would still be keen to see Greer step down from the role as captain, however he has been 3 managers first choice so he clearly has something.

See, I'm not sure if it's first choice or that it's even a choice at all... I think it's more to do with the fact that removing the incumbent is always a massive statement on the manager's views on a player. You also need a better candidate which until Kayal, I don't actually think we've had.

I forsee Greer staying captain until we sign a replacement centreback that keeps him out of the side, even then he'll stay club captain.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I echo much of what you say, though I think Hughton has everyone's clear support - not sure where you get the impression people aren't. As an aside, Casper has told a few people he's moving back to Denmark in the summer. Not earth-shattering news, but I would be stunned if he changed his mind on that.

I love the way Hughton has got us organised, and actually looking a threat (at home). The biggest change is in the middle of the park where the nightmare of Gardner & JFC playing defensive midfield/full-backs has been replaced with Ince, Kayal & Tex given licence to roam. It's chalk & cheese. As you say, even CMS has started looking half-decent under Hughton and I never thought I would say that.

All in all, Hughton has done a tremendous job.Top of the shopping list is a big, mobile striker. If he had an Ulloa playing for us he would take us up in my opinion

Agreed but I would also say we need a CB with pace and 2 full backs (unless we keep Bennett)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I was never the greatest fan of Greer as captain, but after the Reading match where he got sent off, i stayed and had a (few) beers. As i was leaving and walking up to the buses, Greer was driving round the edge of the stadium. He stopped at each group of stewards and had a couple of minutes chat with them all on the way out. I would have understood if he had his windows closed and was trying to get out as quick as possible.

But I think it shows a maturity and a sense of belonging which may be why he has been club captain for so long.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
See, I'm not sure if it's first choice or that it's even a choice at all... I think it's more to do with the fact that removing the incumbent is always a massive statement on the manager's views on a player. You also need a better candidate which until Kayal, I don't actually think we've had.

I forsee Greer staying captain until we sign a replacement centreback that keeps him out of the side, even then he'll stay club captain.

I agree, It feels like Greer cant be dropped as he is captain, I have no problems with him being club captain at all, but some of his current form has been poor and as captain sometimes it feels like he is undroppable.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Solly March's injury, so we have less options. Games are coming thick & fast, and one more injury could scupper us, so Ledesma is an option.

Ah yes, good point, TB. I guess with him coming from one of the division's high flyers, I'd have expected him to get more game time. But then – Bolton apart – things seem to be going OK at the moment...

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
I can still see us showing some interest in Sebastien Bassong at the end of the season. He's captained previous sides that Hughton has managed. Played at the top level and is at 29 a much better age than Greer and Hughes. Barely getting game time on loan at Watford. Surely this is the sort of player we should be looking at and I would imagine financially in reach.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I agree, It feels like Greer cant be dropped as he is captain, I have no problems with him being club captain at all, but some of his current form has been poor and as captain sometimes it feels like he is undroppable.

Absolutely, I've hated the captain auto-pick since the Beckham days with England. Form should be the be all and end all. Look at City, even they dropped Kompany last night.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
After we got lucky - insofar as we made the playoffs - with Oscar, I get the impression that it was sort of assumed by them upstairs at the club that a knowledge of this division was relatively unimportant. Fortunately we now have a manager who corrects that error.

The key to me, though, will be how CH works with the new recruitment team. That has been the sticking point with previous managers. The Kayal signing is a very promising sign, but, as has been said, there's plenty more work to do in summer.

solly

Aug 31, 2005
Again i echo the OP, CH is clearly an intelligent meticulous manager who prepares and motivates the squad for one game at a time. If he communicates as effectively with the players off the pitch as he does when they are playing, they will fully understand his decisions, tactics and the subs when required. I think he has done us and himself a massive service by the way he had got this team playing and by the way he conducts himself.
I was always going to renew my season ticket but am even more pleased to be able to do so with the potential for next season. Let the stripes go marching on from here.
Happy fan

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Lots of respect and appreciation for Chris Hughton on here - all of which I fully endorse, but it seems that some haven't yet got enough respect to spell his name properly. Strange.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here