Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Choppy Seas?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Isnt it still counted as part of HM's fleet?

I believe so. I read that all members of the Royal Navy have to be allocated to a ship so those that are land based are considered as crew of the Victory!! Not sure how true that is so any ex sailors on here may clarify.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
The Historic Dockyard is one of my favourite days out. Quality.
Have you been to Chatham Historic Dockyard? I've been twice in the last year and it's great. There's also a new interactive exhibition showing how ships were built in the 1500s.

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
Reminds me of a quiz question I was once asked.
When fully rigged, how many ropes are there on the Victory?
We were given a 5% leeway.
Anyone know?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I believe Victory is the oldest commissioned warship in the world. The First Sea Lord stil has the Trafalgar Night celebration on her.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I believe so. I read that all members of the Royal Navy have to be allocated to a ship so those that are land based are considered as crew of the Victory!! Not sure how true that is so any ex sailors on here may clarify.

Flag ship of the fleet and as such will be manned by serving members of HM Navy. I hope it's a better draft than when I was on board because it was sh!te, saying that, the crew had an unhealthy number of Marines on board which did make things very interesting!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

No, that isn't right. You have shore based duties(drafts), so wear the cap tally of whatever base you are working on. Portsmouth used to be HMS Victory as in the ship and barracks, but then it changed, so the barracks are HMS Nelson. There's also HMS Sultan in Portsmouth, and HMS Collingwood in Fareham. If you are based in Plymouth then it's HMS Drake, working in Whitehall was HMS President, etc etc.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Was in the car yesterday for a family outing (bloody inset days) and we therefore had Heart on the radio. The DJ was talking to a sailor and asked where he was. The sailor replied that he was on the gang plank of HMS Victory and without any hint of sarcasm in the DJ's voice he stated that he hoped it wasn't too choppy. Now,he may have been being sarcastic but there was absolutely no follow up to suggest he was which then leaves the question of ignorance. I suggested to Mrs D that surely every adult knows that HMS Victory is in dry dock and is a museum and she defended the DJ (although she was fully aware of the status of the ship).

So, is it common knowledge amongst adults that the flagship of Nelson's fleet is in dry dock?

I was giving a driving lesson on the 21st October and mentioned to a pupil that it was Trafalgar day and her comment was whether it had something to do with the place in London. I pointed out that it was more to do with a battle during which the guy at the top of the column lost his life! I can just about forgive a 17 year old for lack of historical knowledge but am I being too harsh in expecting a broadcaster to know a bit about the Victory?
I'm team Drew on this one .

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The lack of knowledge never fails to amaze me, and I would suspect that many adults would not know where HMS Victory was or the history associated with it.

Personally I dislike these old ships as I keep banging my head when I walk around them, as he average height of people all those years ago was much lower than today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here