Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Chop Souey

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
With all the stuff going on in the world with energy prices, war etc, I find it hard to get worried about this. I guess I am in the minority.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Best just cancel him anyway tho eh :rolleyes:

No, makes perfect sense to pay some bloke £100k a year to identify the gender of the players. If they pay me half of that, I could be his assistant and provide the viewers with information regarding what species the footballers are.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
what an over the top reaction. I will first say how good the recent Womens Euro tournament was. Watched a couple of games and enjoyed them but no comparison with going to Albion
However Souness was making comments on a top PL game which like it or not is a completely different game to the women's.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
With all the stuff going on in the world with energy prices, war etc, I find it hard to get worried about this. I guess I am in the minority.

I doubt it, the world's gone mad .

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
With all the problems going on in the world right now we still have people stressed out about this :facepalm:
What a strange bloody world we live in ..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
man marking = disgraceful and unacceptable in the modern world.
linesman = as above
Manager = just change it to Personager!
Fan = rhymes with Man, must get rid also
No more Balls in Football = connotations to male genitalia is unfair
Ball Boy = Youngsters should know better too

When it comes to gender related words I presume I can use the word c u nt, as in stupid c u nt?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Quite funny that Souness thinks "It's a man's game all of a sudden again," because the players and managers start acting like big girls blouses :lolol:

What :shrug:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Okay, let's just be sensible and rational about it.

Firstly, an unwise choice of words- especially given the summer we've had. It's a stock phrase that has been imputed in many old school folk. I guess I'm old school, but it's alien to me. It's a game for everyone. But I'm not going to get angry over a slip of words from someone so conditioned.

So all that's needed is a quiet word and, more importantly, folk to try and understand what he really meant. Souness making a foo-pah is not going to set the women's game back. The only grunts of approval will come from those who always grunt their approval- like a few on here who might rise from the Bear-Pit.

His actual point was that football has become too sanitised in its physical passion. That the slightest of contact is deemed a transgression. I agree with him (although I wouldn't want to see a return to the extremes of the 70s and 80s when the physicality was quite shocking and it wasn't a beautiful game).

So the moral of the story is that Souness needs to choose his words more carefully less they be miss-interpreted, or deliberately miss-interpreted. And generally, he could do with getting with the times.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Firstly, an unwise choice of words- especially given the summer we've had. It's a stock phrase that has been imputed in many old school folk. I guess I'm old school, but it's alien to me. It's a game for everyone. But I'm not going to get angry over a slip of words from someone so conditioned.

So all that's needed is a quiet word and, more importantly, folk to try and understand what he really meant. Souness making a foo-pah is not going to set the women's game back. The only grunts of approval will come from those who always grunt their approval- like a few on here who might rise from the Bear-Pit.

His actual point was that football has become too sanitised in its physical passion. That the slightest of contact is deemed a transgression. I agree with him (although I wouldn't want to see a return to the extremes of the 70s and 80s when the physicality was quite shocking and it wasn't a beautiful game).

So the moral of the story is that Souness needs to choose his words more carefully less they be miss-interpreted, or deliberately miss-interpreted. And generally, he could do with getting with the times.

Here endeth the sermon :rolleyes:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As always with this culture war bullshit, the only people getting aerated are the broflakes.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I commented on this on the Premier league games thread at the time. Bearing in mind he said it three times I think he did pick his words carefully. Absolutely no need to get his point across in that way, particularly because of the negative sentiment implied about women footballers. It came across as quite bullying to the female player and I felt he should be embarrassed to behave in that way. Turns out he wasn’t. I’m not at all interested in women's football but that isn’t really the point.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I commented on this on the Premier league games thread at the time. Bearing in mind he said it three times I think he did pick his words carefully. Absolutely no need to get his point across in that way, particularly because of the negative sentiment implied about women footballers. It came across as quite bullying to the female player and I felt he should be embarrassed to behave in that way. Turns out he wasn’t. I’m not at all interested in women's football but that isn’t really the point.

If Souness generally does have an issue with the women's game then I'd rather he fessed up than used subtle digs. But he needs to be asked the question directly.

To give background to my original thoughts, I'm absolutely made up the women's football has been given the profile it has. I loved the Euros.

Something I did notice is that the women were less likely to go rolling in agony when they were fouled.

Bit of an irony there.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
2 Games on a Sunday afternoon he watched,
Equals 44+ men playing football
Equals Man's Game.

Getting really fed up with the increase in people finding any excuse to play the sexist/ racist card these days.

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
2 Games on a Sunday afternoon he watched,
Equals 44+ men playing football
Equals Man's Game.

Getting really fed up with the increase in people finding any excuse to play the sexist/ racist card these days.

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Ok so all he meant with that phrase is that there was male human beings participating in a sport called football?

So he might as well have said "It's a human species game" or "It's a game between oxygen breathers"?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here