Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chinook over Hove

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
This is the bomb scare in south wick isn't it.
4 mortar shells found in a shed in the car par behind the co-op

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This is the bomb scare in south wick isn't it.
4 mortar shells found in a shed in the car par behind the co-op

Holy crap, is THAT what that was ?

I minced past there at about 7 this evening, the rozzers had it all taped off and INSISTED I crossed the road. Which was a bit inconvenient, cos I wanted to use the cashpoint.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
A couple of weeks ago a chinook was doing a dry run practice landing at Homefield Park in Worthing next to the hospital. I was told by a member of he hospital staff that this was part of the practice for a major terrorist attack in London. With hospitals along the south coast being used for victims. Maybe they are still doing this?

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
correct me if i am wrong here but i think sometimes they practice flying under the radar at Gatwick hence why they cruise round at such low altitude

Military aircraft don't buzz around civilian airports flying under the radar.
That is just dangerous , the military have their own radar systems that they can fly under if that was true.
Chinook is a rotary wing aircraft and as such it can fly under the radar at tree top level whenever it desires.

That is another reason they fly low. As a chopper it's not pressureised therefore without crew ( and passengers ) being on oxygen max ceiling isFL 10 (ish)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You would need a certain mix of money, madness and style to buy a chinook

ManCity6_GQ_30May12_pr_b_426x639_cp_128x128.jpg

Could do a................

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Holy crap, is THAT what that was ?

I minced past there at about 7 this evening, the rozzers had it all taped off and INSISTED I crossed the road. Which was a bit inconvenient, cos I wanted to use the cashpoint.

Yes mate, I was round the corner in champion house. All to do with the bomb scare.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Saw one crash on airfield once when gear shaft was put in wrong, the blades subsequently went out of sync. At time I was based there, if I remember right...the pilots weren't happy flying them due to aircraft software Fadec having issues. This they think may have caused the incident at mull of kintyre, the pilots were cleared on a follow up investigation

Yes, they have had a poor safety record for some years, and they never did really get to the bottom of what caused that fatal accident at the Mull of Kintyre some years ago.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I was based with those bad boys at Odiham, just outside Basingtoke and next to village of Hook just off M3. Doesn't surprise me you saw it, in fact suprised you don't see more of them. I went everywhere with them, my favourite aircraft which is the RAF work horse.

As posted in thread, Odiham is front line. They have a squadron there that support SAS and special ops shall we say, the pilots there are remarkable in what they can do to say the least

My brother in law was based at Odiham with the Chinooks a few years ago before becoming Sqdn Leader at Benson with special ops - then down at Yeovilton.
Amazing aircraft & one of the most emotional times was seeing them come back from Iraq over the base in formation, & him meeting his new nephew for the first time as he stepped out the helicopter. The guys that fly them are amazing and he regularly flew this flight path along the coast on exercises....even buzzing my sons school on a couple of occasions! :eek:)

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
One flew over my car yesterday as I was driving down Handcross Hill at about 4.30pm yesterday. Seemed like it was following the a23 south and then it turned east at about Hickstead. Often used to see them flying east-west just to the north of burgess hill about that time and sometimes later in the evening.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
One flew over my car yesterday as I was driving down Handcross Hill at about 4.30pm yesterday. Seemed like it was following the a23 south and then it turned east at about Hickstead. Often used to see them flying east-west just to the north of burgess hill about that time and sometimes later in the evening.

We used to fly them regularly up to RAF Marham flying low level alongside A1 for navigation aid, used to jump the Pylon cables....amazing punk:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here