Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] China protests over Zero-Covid policy

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
what pray has delivered increasing wealth then? a couple of generations ago the average person lived in standards we'd consider absolute poverty today. wasnt long ago something as mundane as central heating was preserve of affluent in very modern homes, now its ubiquitous and we discuss whether set to 18 or 20 deg. what has allowed this jump in living standards?
Certainly not democracy because then you wouldn't see the same development in some dictator-run countries and you'd also not see slower increases of standards in some democracies.

Technological development and a deeper understanding of behaviours coupled with compromise to keep the people calm/disinterested in any sort of revolution allowed the jump in living standards.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Chinese government are providing special buses
to take the students away on “holiday”.

I know we have had a few issues when it comes to buses but this is a slightly different level 😦

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
No, democracy is not responsible for divering wealth levels, because there is no democracy.
Many of those people killed in the West had the vote. It didn't help them.
Neocolonialism is a well-established expression which is also quite useful in pointing out the difference of how colonialism was done in the past and how it is done now. It might - perhaps - be beyond the understanding of normal people, but it is well within the understanding of a large number of people.
I suppose that questioning which genocides have been carried out by Western countries against their own enfranchised populations will not receive a helpful response.
It might be understood by some people, but since understanding implies an ability to explain, and your explanation was just a load of anti-west/anti-British bile, I don't think you're one of them.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I suppose that questioning which genocides have been carried out by Western countries against their own enfranchised populations will not receive a helpful response.
It might be understood by some people, but since understanding implies an ability to explain, and your explanation was just a load of anti-west/anti-British bile, I don't think you're one of them.
Well, for example in Sweden we started to allow a lot more advertising in the late 80s and early 90s and deregulating markets and as a result, since 1995 the amount of overweight people have increased with 86%, many of them likely to die premature deaths due to the decisions made by the Swedish government. Just to mention one example. Obviously our government also made a lot of decisions increasing the amounts of suicides, overdoses and so forth, because we'll gladly kill people (the chewing gum way) in order to make foreign investors happy so that our oligarch family can go stronger and richer.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well, for example in Sweden we started to allow a lot more advertising in the late 80s and early 90s and deregulating markets and as a result, since 1995 the amount of overweight people have increased with 86%, many of them likely to die premature deaths due to the decisions made by the Swedish government. Just to mention one example. Obviously our government also made a lot of decisions increasing the amounts of suicides, overdoses and so forth, because we'll gladly kill people (the chewing gum way) in order to make foreign investors happy so that our oligarch family can go stronger and richer.
And now stupidest paragraph of the day too. Chapeau.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I read that along with obesity issues and other increases in physical health issues, mental health problems are on the increase in Sweden. Who knew!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I read that along with obesity issues and other increases in physical health issues, mental health problems are on the increase in Sweden. Who knew!
Time for these genocidal murdering maniacs to ban obesity causing pizza, mental health problem causing vodka and crack down on the paranoia inducing weed dealers.

They won't though, the murdering bastards.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Nah. De-regulating markets and allowing more advertising will not, in and of itself, result in obesity. The adverts or de-regulated markets won't force unhealthy food down your throat nor stop you from taking some form of exercise. That's a daft argument.

I only just noticed your "link" (that isn't a link) in your signature and I thought it looked familiar. It was. It's a phrase used in Scottish Rite Freemasonry. Which seemed a bit odd........

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Time for these genocidal murdering maniacs to ban obesity causing pizza, mental health problem causing vodka and crack down on the paranoia inducing weed dealers.

They won't though, the murdering bastards.
Ha!

I can see why mental health and anxiety might be on the rise. People reading all sorts on the internet, getting worked up. Also it’s a convenience to blame governments and “other influences” for one’s lack of motivation/achievement.

For some it’s far easier to cry conspiracy, tyranny and run and hide in one’s room rather than face the world and make a fist of achieving something.

Truth is, the vast majority of people in the first world can make a better life for themselves. The government isn’t stopping you. Jus easier to stay in, smoke weed and order pizza, innit!

And some people think they aren’t being played 🤣🤣🤣

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I’m frankly gobsmacked that a thread, purportedly started to highlight the rarity of China protest vis a vis the poor souls locked up for months on end in high-rise buildings (incidentally, at increasingly high risks of dying from starvation, unmet medical needs or from outbreaks of fires etc), was just an excuse for one person to stand on a soapbox in order to launch a biased and boring school level critique on Western democracies. The least we could do with our free speech here is to call out those regimes where freedoms are severely restricted and recognise the potentially lethal implications for those that try to exercise them for whatever reason. Otherwise it’s all hot air.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Nah. De-regulating markets and allowing more advertising will not, in and of itself, result in obesity. The adverts or de-regulated markets won't force unhealthy food down your throat nor stop you from taking some form of exercise. That's a daft argument.

I only just noticed your "link" (that isn't a link) in your signature and I thought it looked familiar. It was. It's a phrase used in Scottish Rite Freemasonry. Which seemed a bit odd........
Of course it will. There is nothing that indicates that the brain isn't a computer made out of meat, and computers can be programmed. The fat fucker watching a commercial for McDonalds and who then goes to get a burger isn't making a choice, the person is going being manipulated on a level from where it can not defend itself. The primary purpose with marketing is to create compulsive desires, a kind of psychological torture which eventually often leads to premature death.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Ha!

I can see why mental health and anxiety might be on the rise. People reading all sorts on the internet, getting worked up. Also it’s a convenience to blame governments and “other influences” for one’s lack of motivation/achievement.

For some it’s far easier to cry conspiracy, tyranny and run and hide in one’s room rather than face the world and make a fist of achieving something.

Truth is, the vast majority of people in the first world can make a better life for themselves. The government isn’t stopping you. Jus easier to stay in, smoke weed and order pizza, innit!

And some people think they aren’t being played 🤣🤣🤣
Well, perhaps you should go tell the people in the gambling thread then that their mates who committed suicide were not in any way impacted by the betting industry being all over them 24/7.

Tell those who had family members dying from smoking that bans for tobacco ads shouldnt have come earlier. Tell those who died, or killed, from drinking that the governments allowing and getting in bed with alcohol ads didn't cause any harm.

Our governments and big businesses are the main reason people are struggling in this world. People like you are the secondary reason: pretty sure you've caused a lot of harm, self-harm and suicides in your days, through your actions and utter contempt for anyone who isn't looking, thinking or feeling like you do. Now, of course I'm also guilty of some of that... but at least I kick upwards - I hold governments and big businesses accountable, you blame the average man for the difficulties they face.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Well, perhaps you should go tell the people in the gambling thread then that their mates who committed suicide were not in any way impacted by the betting industry being all over them 24/7.

Tell those who had family members dying from smoking that bans for tobacco ads shouldnt have come earlier. Tell those who died, or killed, from drinking that the governments allowing and getting in bed with alcohol ads didn't cause any harm.

Our governments and big businesses are the main reason people are struggling in this world. People like you are the secondary reason: pretty sure you've caused a lot of harm, self-harm and suicides in your days, through your actions and utter contempt for anyone who isn't looking, thinking or feeling like you do. Now, of course I'm also guilty of some of that... but at least I kick upwards - I hold governments and big businesses accountable, you blame the average man for the difficulties they face.
🤣🤣🤣

Man, you’re brilliant value. Thick as mince but brilliant.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
163CFAAB-6DF4-4F46-BD87-BA7BDED58B08.jpeg

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
“An important consequence of believing conspiracy theories is not just that it reduces trust in government and institutions, but it actually stops people seeing themselves as valued members of society. The belief that they and other ‘ordinary’ people can have no impact on politics, society or their own lives. This makes people vulnerable to being groomed by extremists”.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I hold governments and big businesses accountable, you blame the average man for the difficulties they face.
But not apparently if they’re in China - I mean what do Chinese people have to complain about, they’ve been lifted out of extreme poverty, lucky bustards.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Hot tip: put him on ignore.

Get threads back on track really quick.
To be fair, a lot of the stuff he writes about football is actually interesting and worthwhile.
Overall, it's about
50% decent stuff about football
30% deliberately provocative nonsense
20% lizard people
An ignore score of 50% isn't bad by the standards of some posters on here :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here