Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

China After This Crisis

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It’s no surprise that a lot of China’s neighbours were ready for this. The likes of Japan, Singapore, South Korea and Taiwan have avoided lockdowns in the main and continue to controls the spread of the disease as they clearly had a strategy, plan and the relevant tests/masks/sanitiser stock piled for such an event. They knew it was coming.

Will China stop f***ing about with animals, I’d hope for the heaviest sanctions if they don’t because their economies and those of their neighbours are going to get off relatively Scott free compared to those in western countries.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It’s no surprise that a lot of China’s neighbours were ready for this. The likes of Japan, Singapore, South Korea and Taiwan have avoided lockdowns in the main and continue to controls the spread of the disease as they clearly had a strategy, plan and the relevant tests/masks/sanitiser stock piled for such an event. They knew it was coming.

Will China stop f***ing about with animals, I’d hope for the heaviest sanctions if they don’t because their economies and those of their neighbours are going to get off relatively Scott free compared to those in western countries.

so because we didnt prepare and plan for such an event, as the Asians do, we should impose sanctions?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
so because we didnt prepare and plan for such an event, as the Asians do, we should impose sanctions?

No. My point was that they’ve clearly been regarded as having dodgy practices by their neighbours for some time, to such an extent that they were expecting this sort of thing. Our preparedness is a different matter.

I’d like the whole world to impose sanctions on them over their treatment of animals. It’s not just over avoiding pandemics, the Country has a lust for things like Rhino Horns, Tiger Penises and Shark Fins that will lead to extinctions if we don’t do anything.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Really? How so? It's because of their sheer negligence we are in this predicament. We have every right to be angry at them.

Because you're ranting. Nobody knows exactly how the virus crossed over to humans although it is believed to have crossed over from bats, which (according to a report in the Telegraph) are not sold at the Wuhan market. Yes, their hygiene standards are poor but then so are those in the US (why do you think they have to chlorinate their chicken).

You bang on about cover ups and lies but it seems the consensus was that that was at local level. Nationally, the Chinese government stepped up to the plate.

So, if you want to stop using iphones and anything else made in China then that's up to you. I think you will struggle to identify everything though as a hell of a lot of components are manufactured there before assembly.

Furthermore, there are plenty of other countries that have wet markets, are you going to boycott them as well?

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Unfortunately, this isn't the first and it won't be the last Xenophobic thread about the Chinese.

You may (or may not) be surprised to know that we actually have quite a few fans reading this board that are either British born Chinese, or they are married into a Chinese family and have mixed race children.

Imagine what is like to know that your family is at risk from prejudice (or injury) when visiting Brighton, and it's your fellow supporters that are helping to propagate this anti China rhetoric.

If you're a mother/father writing some of this, then you should really take a step back and give your head a wobble.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Unfortunately, this isn't the first and it won't be the last Xenophobic thread about the Chinese.
True.
You may (or may not) be surprised to know that we actually have quite a few fans reading this board that are either British born Chinese, or they are married into a Chinese family and have mixed race children.

Imagine what is like to know that your family is at risk from prejudice (or injury) when visiting Brighton, and it's your fellow supporters that are helping to propagate this anti China rhetoric.
Actually the people I know who are the most anti China are actually Chinese. Plenty of Chinese people don't come from China, and many of them do not like the way the Chinese people from China behave.

It is also possible to be against the way China's government do things, without being anti Chinese.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
True.
Actually the people I know who are the most anti China are actually Chinese. Plenty of Chinese people don't come from China, and many of them do not like the way the Chinese people from China behave.

It is also possible to be against the way China's government do things, without being anti Chinese.

That may well be true but people saying things like "I'm never eating chow mein again" aren't making that distinction

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That may well be true but people saying things like "I'm never eating chow mein again" aren't making that distinction
I know, as I covered in the first word of my post.

There will be some xenophobia and it's not ok. But it is ok to criticise China.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Swine flu started in Mexico but I don’t remember anyone saying they’d never eat tortillas or chilli con carne ever again.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Weird thing is the Chinese Take-aways round our way have all shut

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Chinese people are now increasingly facing the same kind of prejudices suffered by Moslems after 9/11. There were serious hate crimes against Asians in the US as a result of the way Trump labelled the virus.

Warnings about pandemics of CoV origin are nothing new and have not been heeded worldwide. Western countries take equal culpability for lack of prep. Policies which allow and encourage anthropisation and destructive intrusion into animal ecosystems are more dangerous than wet markets, and we know where the US administration stands on that kind of thing.

A pandemic can start anywhere. The 1918 one was first reported in Kansas. China is roughly the size of the US and has more than four times the population.

Well, precisely. These viruses have far more to do with the way in which the economy is structured and, in particular, the manner in which agricultural systems are organised. Yet so many seem determined to remain within national(istic) mindsets.
This is not to say that there aren't many issues that China are culpable for -- wet markets (note, WHO have called for these to be banned), initial suppression of information, the silencing of that whistleblower amongst them -- but they've also acted swiftly, provided one of the better models for other countries to follow, and shared knowledge, equipment, etc subsequently.
There will be no returning to what came before (nor should there be) but the only way out of this is through international collaboration. This is the key point that needs to be engaged with.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
No. My point was that they’ve clearly been regarded as having dodgy practices by their neighbours for some time, to such an extent that they were expecting this sort of thing. Our preparedness is a different matter.

I’d like the whole world to impose sanctions on them over their treatment of animals. It’s not just over avoiding pandemics, the Country has a lust for things like Rhino Horns, Tiger Penises and Shark Fins that will lead to extinctions if we don’t do anything.

I'd like the whole world to put sanctions on the UK over their treatment of animals. The waves of globalisation the UK have pioneered have killed all top predators in many parts of the globe, wiped out one-third of the population in Latin America, and resulted in the fact that currently the mass of 97% of species on the planet comprise humans and those raised for their consumption.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Easily said, but which bits specifically do you disagree with, and why?

As far as I'm concerned, this is what happens when you have a government that is completely unaccountable. They should have done something about regulating wet markets years ago, and the cover ups have been a disgrace. Where is the outrage at the fact that the whistle blowing doctor who first raised the alarm has since disappeared?
This.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
As others have pointed out, the lies were at the local level. China dealt with the crisis and there have been many medics over here that have thanked them for the information they have provided.
They were indeed at local level, but you have to ask why. And the reason for that is that accountability only goes one way in China - you are only accountable to the people above you - anyone below has pretty much no redress. Something like this would only have left the people above them blaming local officials and making them fall on their sword in some way or other,

Hysterical clap trap serves no point. By all means, boycott chinese goods if you want but don't try and shame others to do the same.
I don't get what is so hysterical about pointing the finger at a country that is secretive, authoritarian and the source of a global pandemic that is killing tens of thousands? I wonder how quick to defend the USA and Donald Trump you'd be if the source had been North America? Incidentally, I'm not suggesting boycotting goods from China - the people who are will probably give up when they realise how much we import from China anyway - but there is every reason when this is all over for the international community to pressure China into better food regulation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here