Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Children Saying Thank You Christmas/Birthday Gifts!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
So if they don’t say thank you you assume they don’t appreciate your gift of value it, I assume then you don’t bother going forward?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hasn't happened yet, and, I'd probably just buy it / pay it anyway. Grandparents are very soft at heart!

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I agree a letter of thanks is much nicer than a text or e mail . It also takes more effort to . I expect most grandparents would appreciate it more too . I’m not a fan of the term ‘ Nan ‘ we’re not living in a depressed northern town !

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well I remember the awful chore of writing thank you letters to all those Aunties and Uncles! It's all done by phone or text these days!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
my mum always sent my brothers kids birthday and christmas money , never got a thank you , my oldest nephew reciprocated by asking her for her birth certificate so he could get an irish passport (EU) when she was pretty much on her death bed , people are just ***** aren't they.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
No, not at all, it is good manners in my book.
However I am also not bothered in the slightest if someone does or does not say thank you.
I certainly would not start a thread on social media moaning about not getting a thank you, but each to their own.

Ahh and not wishing to start a a spat with you but I’m not moaning about getting a thank you am I? I’m moaning that my kids need micromanaging to say thank you to others [emoji106]

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If it can’t be WhatsApped, Tik Tokked or Insta’d, kids don’t want to know.

Yours Faithfully
V. Meldrew
Tresillian Way,
Walkford,
Hampshire

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Very simple in my family, we only exchange presents with close family as in our kids, kids in law and Grandchildren and we always say thank you in person.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There was always a set of thank you writing paper in my stocking. No excuses were accepted when it came to thank you letters.

Dear Aunty The Clamp,

Thank you for my membership to the Tufty Club and the book voucher. I am going to put it towards an Encyclopaedia for school. I definitely won’t be swapping that with with Dad for cash which I’ll spend on comics and sweets.
I hope you had a good Christmas you out of touch old minge-bag.
Regards
The Clamp.

Additionally we would have to all queue up next to the phone as if we were in line to get a kick in the nuts and speak to the relatives. Always jostling to be first and get it done. But we did it or there would have been Hell to pay.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
Kids get too much these days.

They get so much that often they cant even remember what they got let alone from whom.

Mine still has a pile in the corner of the living room left over from Christmas. Not played with - not put away. boils my piss - what a waste of money.

only wants ipad and xbox these days (he's 8)

Keep telling the in-laws that he has enough but they love a present or 16.

he is forced to write thank you letters which is the correct thing to do.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
There was always a set of thank you writing paper in my stocking. No excuses were accepted when it came to thank you letters.

Dear Aunty The Clamp,

Thank you for my membership to the Tufty Club and the book voucher. I am going to put it towards an Encyclopaedia for school. I definitely won’t be swapping that with with Dad for cash which I’ll spend on comics and sweets.
Regards
The Clamp.

Additionally we would have to all queue up next to the phone as if we were in line to get a kick in the nuts and speak to the relatives. Always jostling to be first and get it done. But we did it or there would have been Hell to pay.

This

Jul 7, 2003
Even getting the kids to text takes a few reminders (and they are 21 and 16 so old enough to know better).

That said, my aging parents are just as bad at communicating. I'm sure their phones are only set up for inbound calls.

They moved oop North a few years ago and I make a point of trying to call them regularly. I can't remember the last time they rang me, despite various medical issue that I would have wanted to know about - for example "Oh your dad was in hospital for a couple of days as they thought he might have had another mild heart attack".

Only this week, my kids told me that their Nan had posted on FB (which I don't use) that my dad had fallen over while out shopping and hurt himself. Didn't call either of their kids to tell us but happy to share with the rest of their FB friends.

Of course, if I forget to call, then I get the hassle for not ringing. So far I have resisted the incoming calls only response but one day I'll say it and then they will sulk even more!

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Any children brought up well will always say thank you. No excuses not too and takes less than a minute.

el punal

Slightly off tack with this one but I thought I’d share it. Many years ago I worked as a postman. As Christmas was getting closer many of the people whom I delivered to would give me Christmas tips which would include boxes of chocolates, tins of biscuits, bottles of wine and spirits - and dosh. All very welcome and much appreciated.

There was this elderly couple who decided, almost as an afterthought as I was walking away, to call me back. This is for you, they said, and gave me a gift - which was a bottle hastily wrapped in Christmas wrapping paper.

When I finished my round I opened said present. It was a bottle of wine - correction - it used to be a bottle of wine. The contents had evaporated so that only half the liquid (white wine?) remained. The label had perished and was just tatters of paper. The cork was covered in mould. I decided that this would be my contribution to our delivery office Christmas raffle, and remained there uncollected for four years.

Now many of you reading this would think I’m being ungrateful. Not at all. In a strange way I had more fun, laughter and pleasure from this gift than all the others - after all it is what Christmas is all about.

Cool Yuletide story bro! :cheers:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

Dear Aunty The Clamp,

Regards
The Clamp.

b-/c+ ......must do better ...!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here