Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Child Tax Credit

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Had a demand this morning to pay back £115 which is one months owed back apparently as eldest has finished college.

Do they normally chase these vigorously or should we just ignore it ?

The Original

Jan 25, 2010
50.83295°N 0.26815°W
Had a similar situation (HMRC cock up as I had previously notified them of a change in circumstances but they continued to pay). Landed me with a £250 demand about 6 months later, I phoned the helpline and queried and they suggested we just ignore as whilst not 'entitled' we were still 'eligible'?! Continued to ignore, about 3 follow up demands in the end but finally gave in when the offer of a balliff visit arrived in the post..

Suggest just pay up as they will continue to hound you for this nominal amount whilst letting the great unwashed, freeloaders and benefits cheats get away with the big money :rant:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
To be fair we did think we were overpaid and have till 05.11 to re-pay and could do over 12 months if required so perhaps just pay it.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Had a demand this morning to pay back £115 which is one months owed back apparently as eldest has finished college.

Do they normally chase these vigorously or should we just ignore it ?

We were underpaid by £900 one year because Russ should have got a disability supplement added to the tax credit in his last year at school. We appealed twice and then they said it would only be backdated 3 months but we got it all back because it was their administrative error. The following year we had to pay back £300 because Russ lost his DLA on his 16th birthday because he was no longer regarded as a child and could look after his medical condition because he was an adult. Apart from clawing back the disability supplement on the tax credit he missed 3 months at college waiting for a placement at another college when he wanted to change courses.
I wouldn't ignore the demand for the overpayment but challenge it with an appeal because it is their mistake , they know that but will try to blame you for not telling them of a change of circumstances within the time limit.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
To be fair we did think we were overpaid and have till 05.11 to re-pay and could do over 12 months if required so perhaps just pay it.

pay it back at £10 a month. I found that the tax credit system lulls you into a false sense of security. Once the youngest has finished college (and the child benefit ends) it has knock on effects as not only children's tax credits cease but if you don't earn a decent wage the working tax credit drops as well. My working tax credit last year was zero because they offset a partner's state pension so I've also lost out on free prescriptions.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
They have just asked me to send them evidence for all childcare since my son went to nursery, 7 years ago.

I have dug out what I could find from old emails and invoices etc and sent it to them, though I couldn't find receipts for everything. Now they have written back saying my tax credits will be stopped, without giving a reason. I'm not sure why, and the muppets on the phone line don't seem to have any idea either, and have told me to appeal it.

They have said that they calculate that childcare should cost me £11 a week, though as I live in central London and work 9-5 it initially cost more like £300 per week. I can see a long drawn out battle coming up .. already they are asking me for £1500 back.

And this is all based on THEIR calculations over the last 7 years, based on me giving them correct salary and childcare info ...

D

Deleted User X18H

How come we can't get it. Despite supplying all necessary details. 'Oh we base it on your 2009 gross earnings' Bloody Tories.

Apparently we do not qualify.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Probably their default response to everyone now is you don't qualify / you need to pay us / computer says no

I think I will go and see a solicitor about it on Monday. I can't second-guess what they are looking for, and I don't fee they are being open and transparent about the process.

My working tax credit last year was zero because they offset a partner's state pension so I've also lost out on free prescriptions.

I currently get free prescriptions because I am over 40 and my nan had glaucoma. But I wouldn't be surprised if they stop this too as it's based on "whether the opthalmologist considers that you are at risk".

Cornish seagull!

Nov 18, 2010
Cornwall
I had a nice phone call to HMRC yesterday, they have completely stopped the child care because im no longer recieving SSP. Also some dummy said that my employment stopped in feb this year so they tried to claw back £2000. So i spent nearly 2hours trying to explain that im still employed, as it stands i dont have to pay anything back but instead get a bulk paymentfrom april this year because some how they exaggerated my potential earnings this year by a considerable amount.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
We were getting CTC for a while until they reduced the threshold. They never asked for proof of earnings (or lack of it) but we recently got a letter asking for proof of when my wife left work.

They seem to give money out at will but then piss you off later by asking for it back.

Not sure why they brought it in tbh. Couldn't they have just increased the family allowance thing or something.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You've been getting £115 per month for what exactly?

2 x children tax credit now reduced to £85 as eldest has started an apprenticeship with AITC.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
This is in NO WAY directed specifically at Beach Hut, who seems to be an all-round decent sort of chap, so I use him simply as an example...

But, how come people who have well paid, higher rate tax bracket managerial jobs, who enjoy foreign holidays, meals out etc etc still get £115 a month Child Tax Credits? I have no doubt that under the rules he is entitled to it, but it seems pointless to use the Social Security budget in this way.

Makes no sense.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
This is in NO WAY directed specifically at Beach Hut, who seems to be an all-round decent sort of chap, so I use him simply as an example...

But, how come people who have well paid, higher rate tax bracket managerial jobs, who enjoy foreign holidays, meals out etc etc still get £115 a month Child Tax Credits? I have no doubt that under the rules he is entitled to it, but it seems pointless to use the Social Security budget in this way.

Makes no sense.

I can only assume it is a reward for putting into the system as I pay a lot of tax and NI, I understand exactly where you are coming from Bry as if I had never been offered it I would not miss it but would live accrordingly to what I earn if less.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Having been out for a walk look at this another way:

I pay over £10K a year in tax and NI, on top of that contribute 12% into a pension and have private health care. Therefore I contribute a lot more than I take out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here