Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Child Maintenance

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Just a bit of a quick query without going into too much detail - suppose someone has been overpaying maintenance toward their child for a year or two, can they legally stop paying without notice until the overpaid maintenance has been eroded to nil?

Camicus

No Pay up look big and stop weasling out of your responsabilities. If you cant be a farther at least pay your way

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
If you really loved your kids then you would pay double maintenance and live in a shed.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Perhaps you can garnish your child's salary when they grow up and get a job?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If you have overpaid because CSA have miscalculated they will say it is an administrative error but you won't get anything back if you're sensible about it. Not worth them miscalculating the figures again.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Harsh replies. CSA is worked on affordability so over paying is bound to of hurt you.

Doubt they will let you off the hook for even 1 pence though

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
How on earth can you pay too much to support your own children ?

Go and sit in the naughty corner.

Last edited:

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Ha. Jumping to a few conclusions here, eh? It's not my child - my girlfriend's partner has thrown his toys out of the pram a bit. He has had a private agreement where he's paid slightly higher than the CSA guidelines and has now decided to stop paying until the "overpaid" amount is reduced. Looking online, it looks like he can't legally do this. Hmm. Thanks to all.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Agree with all of this - no such thing as "over paying" for your child. There's some of us that would love to have kids, but for whatever reason, can't. Man the f*** up and pay your way. How the f*** would you feel if your old man wasn't there for you when you were little and was moaning about over paying for you? Grow the f*** up.

Ah. Just seen your post. Hmmm.... Go and brick the CAUC's windows. (Sorry!!!)

Jun 24, 2010
Goring
Just a bit of a quick query without going into too much detail - suppose someone has been overpaying maintenance toward their child for a year or two, can they legally stop paying without notice until the overpaid maintenance has been eroded to nil?

Mate - ignore the childish responses you've got. There are some real morons on this site sometimes. You ask a valid question - because many times the father is the one left with not enough through no fault of his own. I don't think you can stop paying as your kids mum will actually need some income to support your kids, but my advise would be to contact the csa, find out what you should be paying and make sure you pay at least that. If you can afford more and still lead a life yourself then make that call yourself. Only you can decide what's fair over and above, as only you know the circumstance of your own individual situation. Good luck.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I refer your girlfriend's partner to my previous answer,and the word of advice is .....................beware.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
As it is a private agreement then he can stop paying if he so chooses

Merseyside Seagull

Dec 18, 2003
Wirral
From my experience, the CSA will not take any history into account. If estranged parents have had an agreement between themselves and then one party applies for the CSA to get involved, no previous financial support is taken into account. The CSA will only make calculations on based on the situation from when they were asked to get involved. Wrong, but that's life!

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
At least seems to be a consensus amongst all (NSC First?). He's a bit of an oddball anyway - despite me being with my girlfriend for about 13 months, he still refuses to let me spend time with his son and gets quite nasty with her by text as a result (hence now stopping maintenance). Anyway, I'll be sure to pass on advice...

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
I refer your girlfriend's partner to my previous answer,and the word of advice is .....................beware.

Blimey there are some moralistic answers here...surely the adage is you pay what can actually afford and what think is fair to do the very best you can and if that's genuinely best can do then that has to be reasonable! And I say this is as someone who happily pays for my child irrespective of whatever my relationship with her mum is like....

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Blimey there are some moralistic answers here...surely the adage is you pay what can actually afford and what think is fair to do the very best you can and if that's genuinely best can do then that has to be reasonable! And I say this is as someone who happily pays for my child irrespective of whatever my relationship with her mum is like....

And what can you not afford to support your own child ?

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012

The thing is though if he could not have afforded it he could not have overpaid in the first place

Ha. Jumping to a few conclusions here, eh? It's not my child - my girlfriend's partner has thrown his toys out of the pram a bit. He has had a private agreement where he's paid slightly higher than the CSA guidelines and has now decided to stop paying until the "overpaid" amount is reduced. Looking online, it looks like he can't legally do this. Hmm. Thanks to all.

I expect her partner will really be f***ed off when he discovers you've been helping her out!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here