Chilcot report

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
This is what The Sun did to you if you stood by your convictions on not backing going into the Iraq War...

13606665_628752430618704_5385407440329083666_n.jpg

Time for another Sun apology? To his family, at least.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
So these Statesmen have managed to completely destabilise a large swathe of North Africa and the Middle East resulting in hundreds of thousands dead and millions of refugees and possibly the break up of the EU.
That's some legacy. Wonder if they can sleep at night?

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
RIP to the 250,000 in the war no-one needed.

The day Blair squirms but probably somehow gets away with it.

Pretty sure the report states that no legal action can come from this but it's simplistic to think that somehow Tony Blair and George Bush cooked up a war over a Gin & Tonic. They were just figureheads for the might of the Military advisors and Economists. Sometime's war makes sense, you only need to go back to the Falklands. Not going to win an election!!, start a war, stir up national pride and before you know it your re elected and the good times are back.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
. Not going to win an election!!, start a war, stir up national pride and before you know it your re elected and the good times are back.

So you are happy to just hand over the Falklands to Argentina, even though everytime there is a referendum on the Falklands on the issue around 95% vote to stay British.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
So these Statesmen have managed to completely destabilise a large swathe of North Africa and the Middle East resulting in hundreds of thousands dead and millions of refugees and possibly the break up of the EU.
That's some legacy. Wonder if they can sleep at night?
Of course not forgetting that most of said areas had been unstable for generations, if not centuries..... long before 9.11 and the 'ventures' in Kuwait/Iraq/Afghanistan..... even before the formation of the state of Israel in 48 and Suez crisis in 56.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
So you are happy to just hand over the Falklands to Argentina, even though everytime there is a referendum on the Falklands on the issue around 95% vote to stay British.

err, maybe read what I said, my point is not about Falklands per se it could be any war, it's just an example of how the Tories with Thatcher at the helm managed to resurrect their Government. I'm also pretty sure there is 60 billion or so gallons of oil to argue about now so it is unlikely to be an issue for the foreseeable future, unlike in 1974 when the British government came to an agreement over sovereignty of the Falklands with the President of Argentina. The particular deal died with him and mistrust started from there.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Have to agree with this. There was of course a very large anti war march in London but it would be impossible to suggest that those people marched because they believed there were no WMDs. There will always be anti war protests, whatever the evidence. How many of those that marched were 'traditional' pacifists who would march against any war?

With this assumption I must have missed the million people who went to the streets of London to protest about going to Kosovo & Afghanistan.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
BLiar needs to be made subject to SOME form of prosecution, if only to stop him being in denial and to stop him spouting such delusional self-serving bolleaux as this...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36733979

BLiar went WAY beyond his remit as PM and made it his personal God-based crusade to deliver the UK's support to GWB 'whatever'. Shame on BLiar, and on all those who failed to challenge him on his bolleaux.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It's a fair point however, weren't we originally in Kosovo as a UN peacekeeping force?

I should have said Serbia, Yugoslavia, it's all the same. That war was sanctioned by the UN, which is key. The attitude of screw the UN sets a very bad example to already problematic countries to also not comply with the UN.

Why should any exteme group or North Korea listen to the UN if Bush and Blair didn't? We lost the moral high ground to the terrorists and Bush and Blair behaved just like them.

To Muslims what Bush and Blair did actually justifies 9/11.

It's not just the war itself that was a disaster, it's the message it sent. Bush and Blair undermined international law and UN WMD experts.

One thing that we did learn from Yugoslavia, is that the smart weapons were not as smart as we imagined, so Iraq was never going to be just a video game, and children were also going to be killed.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
as the LBC guy pointed out... Bush said that God told him to invade Iraq. Imagine if somebody had said Allah told them to invade some country 5000 miles away.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
as the LBC guy pointed out... Bush said that God told him to invade Iraq. Imagine if somebody had said Allah told them to invade some country 5000 miles away.

Same rhetoric, different language.

“I believe God wants me to be president”

“chosen by the grace of God to lead at that moment”

“God told me to strike at al-Qaeda and I struck them, and then he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did, and now I am determined to solve the problem in the Middle East. If you help me I will act, and if not, the elections will come and I will have to focus on them“

“I trust God speaks through me. Without that, I couldn’t do my job”

“…But what if God has been holding his peace, waiting for the right man and the right nation and the right moment to act for Him and cleanse history of Evil?”

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Same rhetoric, different language.

“I believe God wants me to be president”

“chosen by the grace of God to lead at that moment”

“God told me to strike at al-Qaeda and I struck them, and then he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did, and now I am determined to solve the problem in the Middle East. If you help me I will act, and if not, the elections will come and I will have to focus on them“

“I trust God speaks through me. Without that, I couldn’t do my job”

“…But what if God has been holding his peace, waiting for the right man and the right nation and the right moment to act for Him and cleanse history of Evil?”

I like the last one. Shows even God is fallible.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I bet you can't find any quote/footage etc of Blair saying that. I think he said something along the lines of he prayed he was making the right decision and has subsequently stated that his God will be his ultimate judge but he never said that God told him to invade. It's that sort of comment that creates hysteria amongst idiots!!!

Edit: Just seen that it refers to Bush, not Blair so apologies. I can well believe that Bush heard voices telling him to invade. It was probably his dad sneaking into his bedroom at night to whisper it in his ear!!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

The thing about the Falklands War wasn't that we went off to take them back - but that we seemed to engineer the situation in the first place by removing the ship and men from the area - which just opened the way in for Agentina, leading to the conflict (not a 'war' if I seem to remember correctly!). If Richard Luce, our MP at the time in Adur, hadn't done this - then there wouldn't have been the need to send the army/navy in, and Thatcher wouldn't have got re-elected.

It was rather suspicious that something came along just at the right time for her.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports