Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Chichester plans to go 'car free' one Sunday a month.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I stated on another of these ban the car threads. These dogooders never think their plans through. They want people to wonder about car free in town/city centres, yet the outlets they want these people to visit often need service engineers, delivery drivers and so on to get to them.
These types have their head up their lycra arses

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I stated on another of these ban the car threads. These dogooders never think their plans through. They want people to wonder about car free in town/city centres, yet the outlets they want these people to visit often need service engineers, delivery drivers and so on to get to them.
These types have their head up their lycra arses

And, as was pointed out in the same thread, there are countless cities all across the world who have banned cars from their centres so people have to get to bars, shops and restaurants on foot. Do you really think that there are no car drivers in Germany or Netherlands or Denmark or any of the other places that have taken such steps? Or do you just like making ridiculous statements?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
And, as was pointed out in the same thread, there are countless cities all across the world who have banned cars from their centres so people have to get to bars, shops and restaurants on foot. Do you really think that there are no car drivers in Germany or Netherlands or Denmark or any of the other places that have taken such steps? Or do you just like making ridiculous statements?

How is it ridiculous?

I work in the brewing Industry and I can assure you we have endless issues getting access to many outlets often with large pieces of equipment. Those places you speak of have access roads just as I mentioned before they also allow low/no emission service vehicles in. Chichester is proposing a complete vehicle free zone. I merely state that is impracticable.

Have a sensible discussion by all means but unfortunately that appears to be hard to comprehend to some.

As a company we have asked our service provider to come up with solutions i.e. electric vans. They would still be useless under these proposals.

Ridiculous statements? Don't think so.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How is it ridiculous?

I work in the brewing Industry and I can assure you we have endless issues getting access to many outlets often with large pieces of equipment. Those places you speak of have access roads just as I mentioned before they also allow low/no emission service vehicles in. Chichester is proposing a complete vehicle free zone. I merely state that is impracticable.

Have a sensible discussion by all means but unfortunately that appears to be hard to comprehend to some.

As a company we have asked our service provider to come up with solutions i.e. electric vans. They would still be useless under these proposals.

Ridiculous statements? Don't think so.

Are you saying:-

a - You regularly deliver large pieces of equipment from 7:30 am to 6pm on the first Sunday of each month?

&

ii - You are incapable of rearranging that delivery date and time to literally any other time in the week, month or year?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It would be a greater social benefit if Chichester instead championed a survey every Sunday into discovering why so many cyclists are self righteous w9nkers. :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It would be a greater social benefit if Chichester instead championed a survey every Sunday into discovering why so many cyclists are self righteous w9nkers. :thumbsup:

Not to mention:-
Walkers - twats.
Bus passengers - ****s.
Train users - scum.

If only everybody in the world could be as wholesome as car drivers.

[tweet]1098372609828372485[/tweet]

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Not to mention:-
Walkers - twats.
Bus passengers - ****s.
Train users - scum.

If only everybody in the world could be as wholesome as car drivers.

[tweet]1098372609828372485[/tweet]

Not sure why you hate walkers, bus passengers and train users, they dont really bother me personally.
Good to see you have forgotten though that only a couple of days ago you said on the brexit thread you had put me on ignore.
You must have forgotten to activate your self righteous button due to your anger

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not sure why you hate walkers, bus passengers and train users, they dont really bother me personally.
Good to see you have forgotten though that only a couple of days ago you said on the brexit thread you had put me on ignore.
You must have forgotten to activate your self righteous button due to your anger

I haven't put you on ignore, nobody is on my ignore list I don't see the point of them in such a broad forum.
I will be ignoring your opinions on Brexit as they are always irrelevant to the specific nature of that conversation.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I haven't put you on ignore, nobody is on my ignore list I don't see the point of them in such a broad forum.
I will be ignoring your opinions on Brexit as they are always irrelevant to the specific nature of that conversation.

:laugh:

Grow up

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i wonder are there any cities that have actually banned all vehicles 24/7 from a wide area? or is this one of those assumptions that because they have day time restrictions, or a central plaza car free the whole city centre is vehicle free?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Are you saying:-

a - You regularly deliver large pieces of equipment from 7:30 am to 6pm on the first Sunday of each month?

&

ii - You are incapable of rearranging that delivery date and time to literally any other time in the week, month or year?

Often the delivery is a new piece of equipment due to breakdown and yes often on a Sunday. Most breweries/beverage companies offer an emergency service for breakdowns. An outlet can lose a lot of money especially in the summer if it is unable to serve beer.

I will use Pride as an example for a lot of businesses they survive due to events like this, if you a unable to get to them in the event of an equipment failure and they are unable to serve It could send them under.We have to put massive contingency plans in place for it, not something we could do every week.

D

Deleted member 22389

I remember coming home from school and being able to play football outside my mums for a few hours every night in the 80s, I didn't meet a single car. Now there is a car every couple of minutes going up her road. It's the same for all of Peacehaven now, it really is a crap place to drive around at certain hours of the day, to the point it is actually quicker if you just got on two wheels, so I'm all for no car days. Once people see how peaceful and free the town becomes, people will want to do it more and more.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
i wonder are there any cities that have actually banned all vehicles 24/7 from a wide area? or is this one of those assumptions that because they have day time restrictions, or a central plaza car free the whole city centre is vehicle free?

Venice doesn't have any cars

Ghent's whole city centre is traffic-free

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

You could well be correct..............and another thing; It would be of greater social benefit if Chichester found a way to accommodate a nightclub for the younger generation. It is the only university town/city in the country without a bloody nightclub.
Nice enough boring place, but as I always say, a city for old farts run by old farts.
The mayor was even harrumphing about a temporary ice rink and bar being installed for the Christmas period.
Fun police, the lot of 'em.:annoyed:
Seriously though, the centre of Chi is already pretty much restricted to cars and I really can't see what is to be gained from this proposal. It has certainly divided opinion amongst the locals.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Often the delivery is a new piece of equipment due to breakdown and yes often on a Sunday. Most breweries/beverage companies offer an emergency service for breakdowns. An outlet can lose a lot of money especially in the summer if it is unable to serve beer.

It's a 'what if?' that will have been acknowledged and addressed in any city in the world that has gone car-free. Just needs studying by any new city intending going car-free and the best solution or combination of solutions applied for the circumstances.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I don't drive or cycle so I don't really have a stake in this argument. I will say, however, that I can count on no fingers the times I've nearly been hit by a car running a red light.

I need both hands to count how many times I've nearly been hit by a cyclist running a red light.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's a 'what if?' that will have been acknowledged and addressed in any city in the world that has gone car-free. Just needs studying by any new city intending going car-free and the best solution or combination of solutions applied for the circumstances.

I find it hard to believe, despite his good post, Piltdown needs to send out emergency large equipment on a same day basis, on a Sunday.

But hey I don't do his job so I can't comment, and will take it a face value

Again it's 12 Sundays a year, pretty much only in daylight hours, yet generating a shite load of negativity.
I have no idea why people can't just give such schemes an open mind.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't drive or cycle so I don't really have a stake in this argument. I will say, however, that I can count on no fingers the times I've nearly been hit by a car running a red light.

I need both hands to count how many times I've nearly been hit by a cyclist running a red light.
Perhaps if you stopped faffing about on pedestrian crossings concentrating on your hands, you wouldn't be such a liability to all traffic.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
You could well be correct..............and another thing; It would be of greater social benefit if Chichester found a way to accommodate a nightclub for the younger generation. It is the only university town/city in the country without a bloody nightclub.
Nice enough boring place, but as I always say, a city for old farts run by old farts.
The mayor was even harrumphing about a temporary ice rink and bar being installed for the Christmas period.
Fun police, the lot of 'em.:annoyed:
Seriously though, the centre of Chi is already pretty much restricted to cars and I really can't see what is to be gained from this proposal. It has certainly divided opinion amongst the locals.

Not sure kids want night clubs these days.

There are already several bars open until 2am at weekends.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here