Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cheltenham - how many deaths ?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I am not sure, I don't have what I wrote to hand! It may have been 420 :eek: Even then, that is still too many.

Yes it's too many but what you wrote is misleading as it isn't that higher number killed on the track. The 420 includes training injuries and horses destroyed for no longer being cost effective. Your claim puts the number much higher than it really is. If you are going to try to come across as some sort of expert at least try doing some research, took about 5 seconds to google the race horse death watch website and copy and paste the relevant information.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
For the last two years I've bet on a horse which I eventually died in the grand national.

2 years ago I got two in one race.

A death double ? That would have paid out a fortune if you could have got on it. I might do a spread bet deal on here next year on how many make the Pedigree chum tins. Only one this year so far I think and that will be because of the soft going.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
However many it is, make sure you are carefull where you buy your beef frozen meals in a couple of weeks time!

Cheltenham Cheeseburgers......... Yummy.

Dec 29, 2011
Yes it's too many but what you wrote is misleading as it isn't that higher number killed on the track. The 420 includes training injuries and horses destroyed for no longer being cost effective. Your claim puts the number much higher than it really is. If you are going to try to come across as some sort of expert at least try doing some research, took about 5 seconds to google the race horse death watch website and copy and paste the relevant information.

Good reply sir.

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
For the last two years I've bet on a horse which I eventually died in the grand national.

2 years ago I got two in one race.

I stopped doing the Grand National sweepstake at my old work because of similar kiss-of-death tendencies. Either two or three in a row, I can't quite remember.

I'm not sure which is more disconcerting - consistently dealing the hand of death at random like me, or picking them out after careful consideration like you and the Grim Reaper.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
forget racing, you should see the numbers for horses that die in captivity.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Horese racing should be banned IMO. The amount of horses that die in the name of this 'sport' is unbelievable.

.........and ,of course,all the lovely horses in the racing sector would be cuddled and loved by owners and trainers if the "sport" was stopped,rather than going to the glue factory.

Bit like all the vegetarians who think our fields would be stuffed with cows and little lambsies which farmers would lovingly look after if there was no meat industry.Horses currently fit in there,too.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Its a bit like Formula 1,It does not matter if some no hoper gets smeared up a tree but if it happens to Ayrton Senna, then it's a tragedy.

On the morning of Senna's death the papers were full of the Roland Ratzenburger crash, it was a massive story and rocked the sport to the extent that on the morning of the race the Grand Prix Drivers Association reformed following a crisis meeting. Senna was appointed director but never got to take up his post because he died later that day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here