Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chelsea

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Compared to what other clubs have sold for can anybody explain how Chelsea has a valuation of £4b plus

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It is a massive, world known brand with a lot of assets and a lot of growth potential. Stamford Bridge can be expanded or rebuilt and you can double matchday incomes, the academy is among the best in the world and definitely the best in England (25% of the squad selected yesterday spent time in the Chelsea academy) but does not make the money it could be making.

Someone running Chelsea in the style of the Glazers (loves money) rather than in the style of Abramovich (loves winning) could turn Chelsea into a profitable club. In a time where there are more billionaires on earth than ever before, a world known brand with growth potential is going to cost a lot of money.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Things are worth what people are prepared to pay for them.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
It doesn't - that amount covers £2.5bn for the club, plus £1.75bn to be spent on infrastructure, squad etc. over the following 10 years.

Correct. That's £175m per year for 10 years. I don't know but I suspect Chelsea's income is more than £175m per year so they are just committing to spending the income on the club rather than start taking it out as dividends etc.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
It is a massive, world known brand with a lot of assets and a lot of growth potential. Stamford Bridge can be expanded or rebuilt and you can double matchday incomes, the academy is among the best in the world and definitely the best in England (25% of the squad selected yesterday spent time in the Chelsea academy) but does not make the money it could be making.

Someone running Chelsea in the style of the Glazers (loves money) rather than in the style of Abramovich (loves winning) could turn Chelsea into a profitable club. In a time where there are more billionaires on earth than ever before, a world known brand with growth potential is going to cost a lot of money.

But don't they rent the ground from the former owners?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
But don't they rent the ground from the former owners?

I think the Chelsea Pitch Owners only, aside from the naming rights to the club, only own the pitch itself, not the stadium. Meaning that as long as the club decides to develop/rebuild Stamford Bridge exactly where it is now there won't be any problems in that regard (but if they move, however, they have to give up the name of the club). Could be wrong but that is how I remember it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think the Chelsea Pitch Owners only, aside from the naming rights to the club, only own the pitch itself, not the stadium. Meaning that as long as the club decides to develop/rebuild Stamford Bridge exactly where it is now there won't be any problems in that regard (but if they move, however, they have to give up the name of the club). Could be wrong but that is how I remember it.

CPO was, I think, set up when Bates bought the club back after the property developers that owned the site went bust (early 90s)…….I think you’re more or right re ownership (although possibly includes the turnstiles as well as the pitch). CPO leased the pitch back to the parent company on a long lease and CPO was set up in such a way that no single person can gain control (effectively preventing the ground from being sold).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here