Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chelsea U18 player on £20,000 per week.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Professional footballers enjoy tax benefits, and access to rental / lease schemes that mean they probably pay like £300-£400 a month, for something like a Range Rover Sport

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I'd be interested to see how much some of our more talented youth teamers earn and what our non first team wages and total budget is?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't see a problem with John Terry having his name on his boots. Like him or not, he's a player who has achieved a lot in his career.

I'm not disputing his career; I just think it is a bit vain no matter how successful someone is.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Professional footballers enjoy tax benefits, and access to rental / lease schemes that mean they probably pay like £300-£400 a month, for something like a Range Rover Sport

What tax benefits are these? I'm aware that a proportion can be syphoned off as 'image rights' but a player like Dunk would have a very hard job convincing the tax man if a significant chunk of his income was via this route.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
What tax benefits are these? I'm aware that a proportion can be syphoned off as 'image rights' but a player like Dunk would have a very hard job convincing the tax man if a significant chunk of his income was via this route.

They pay the same tax as anyone else, including on image rights. The only saving in the latter would be on NI contributions, but again, that's the same as for the average self employed person.

Normal lease for a Range Rover Sport would be about £700-£800 a month. I'm going to take a guess that Dunk, as a 1st team squad player, is on about 8-10K a month.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I'd be interested to see how much some of our more talented youth teamers earn and what our non first team wages and total budget is?

I suspect that all the young scholars are on the same money, I am assured £85.00 per week, training and college work taking their hourly rate below the national minimum wage, but no one's moaning.

A development contract supposedly comes in at around £250.00 per week.

Are there exceptions, perhaps, but nothing of note.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
They pay the same tax as anyone else, including on image rights. The only saving in the latter would be on NI contributions, but again, that's the same as for the average self employed person.

Normal lease for a Range Rover Sport would be about £700-£800 a month. I'm going to take a guess that Dunk, as a 1st team squad player, is on about 8-10K a month.

As has been said he as all pro footballers have preferential rates on leased vehicles, so his monthly cost is probably half that amount.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I suspect that all the young scholars are on the same money, I am assured £85.00 per week, training and college work taking their hourly rate below the national minimum wage, but no one's moaning.

£90 with all travel expenses paid. It is below minimum wage but it's more than someone would get in a month if they worked part time at Sainsbury's whilst at college, as they do a BTEC in PE. But the Pro contract is right, depends more on the player though.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
£90 with all travel expenses paid. It is below minimum wage but it's more than someone would get in a month if they worked part time at Sainsbury's whilst at college, as they do a BTEC in PE. But the Pro contract is right, depends more on the player though.

Yep thats about right, but in the context of the £20 000 week youth player at Chelsea, BHA have no players that stand out as being paid above their peers, cannot think of a current DS player smashing the £250.00 per week level !!!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Under 20 max £10k per week, 20 or over max £20k per week. I don't give a stuff of the "best" players all **** off abroad. At least it will get our football on a more level playing field. It won't stop me going to see football, but if the current insane salaries/contracts continue to be given out, it will drive more fans away than players. Let's get a grip - it's only a bunch of athletes running around with a ball. They are not saving lives and can get another job on the gravy train when they retire.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Yep thats about right, but in the context of the £20 000 week youth player at Chelsea, BHA have no players that stand out as being paid above their peers, cannot think of a current DS player smashing the £250.00 per week level !!!

When the voyeurism trial was happening last year, it was mentioned that the accused DS players were on basic DS contracts between £350 and £500p/w. I'd imagine by the time a DS guy signs his first pro terms they probably all break 4 figures p/w.

I know of a guy who was in a Prem youth set up, and played a while in their ressies, who was on £5k p/w. He was 18, driving round a convertible and sporting designer clothes and flashy watches. I thought that was disgusting for a guy who never threatened to break into the 1st team...but £20k takes it to a whole new level.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Under 20 max £10k per week, 20 or over max £20k per week. I don't give a stuff of the "best" players all **** off abroad. At least it will get our football on a more level playing field. It won't stop me going to see football, but if the current insane salaries/contracts continue to be given out, it will drive more fans away than players. Let's get a grip - it's only a bunch of athletes running around with a ball. They are not saving lives and can get another job on the gravy train when they retire.

I am assuming you will still allow clubs to sell there players for millions to other clubs hmmmmm.

Jimmy Hill wont be happy with you ......

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
When the voyeurism trial was happening last year, it was mentioned that the accused DS players were on basic DS contracts between £350 and £500p/w. I'd imagine by the time a DS guy signs his first pro terms they probably all break 4 figures p/w.

I know of a guy who was in a Prem youth set up, and played a while in their ressies, who was on £5k p/w. He was 18, driving round a convertible and sporting designer clothes and flashy watches. I thought that was disgusting for a guy who never threatened to break into the 1st team...but £20k takes it to a whole new level.

I am gonna disagree with you mate.

Firstly a players first pro contract, although can be at 17 years old, is generally currently at BHA 18 years old for a year or two.

After this then its up for negotiation if the club wants to retain them, but I cannot think of any of the current crop demanding the figures you say, Dunk did after his first spell with the first team as has Solly recently.

But the players running around in our DS teams are not on 4 figure weekly wages.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I am assuming you will still allow clubs to sell there players for millions to other clubs hmmmmm.

Jimmy Hill wont be happy with you ......

Yes, why not? It could stop clubs getting into debt and over time could put more clubs on an even playing field.
Jimmy Hill still tries to defend himself on this issue but, even he could never have foreseen the chaos that uncapping wages has caused the game.
Ultimately it could reduce the money Sky are putting in, reduce their charges, and let us have a lot more disposable income to spend on other important things in life!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I am gonna disagree with you mate.

Firstly a players first pro contract, although can be at 17 years old, is generally currently at BHA 18 years old for a year or two.

After this then its up for negotiation if the club wants to retain them, but I cannot think of any of the current crop demanding the figures you say, Dunk did after his first spell with the first team as has Solly recently.

But the players running around in our DS teams are not on 4 figure weekly wages.

Monakana was in PNE first team squad before joint the DS wasn't he?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Monakana was in PNE first team squad before joint the DS wasn't he?

Yep, but I am not too sure whether he warrants in excess of £1000 a week.

You did say that a players first pro contract attracts a minimum of a £1000 a week, it just doesnt, well not currently at BHA.

seagulls99

Feb 10, 2012
Solly March was 100% on £750 pw basic wage BEFORE his recently renewed contract, don't know what he is on now

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Yes, why not? It could stop clubs getting into debt and over time could put more clubs on an even playing field.
Jimmy Hill still tries to defend himself on this issue but, even he could never have foreseen the chaos that uncapping wages has caused the game.
Ultimately it could reduce the money Sky are putting in, reduce their charges, and let us have a lot more disposable income to spend on other important things in life!

I share your sentiments when stories of a young unproved player getting so much, but its their business and if he turns out a talent in their first team then he comes quite cheap.

If he 'fails' and ends up on loan throughout the leagues, I am sure he will be flogged to a Championship side for a million or two, so the gamble is considered.

We have moved on from players paying for regulated maximum wages, in front of mega crowds and only the chairmen reaping the financial rewards.

Its a free market, sometimes the excesses are ugly, but ultimately its a hot product and the players are the main players and are rewarded very well.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

Wow, much lower than I expected. Thank you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here