Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chelsea plan to knock down Stamford Bridge and build a new 60,000 capacity stadium

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I recall Perry talking about this on the roar. Something like 'they could add a few here and there but no major developments'. I'd like to see the police box moved and the 1901 west middle tier extended around the north with a second tier on the north east & south east corners, however, I doubt any of that is practical for the amount of money spent vs the number of seats gained.
What is the "math" on putting in seats cost v income?

Depends on the type of seats and how much they sell for I suppose.

Middle tier could be premium. Say they generate £700 profit each per year...? And need to pay for themselves in ten years? Then they could probably be justified if they cost about £7K per seat?

Could we get an extra 5,000 seats by spending about £35m....?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
i havent changed teams at all, and youre ''out'' are you ? you were hardly ''in'' in the first place , and this is a thread about chelsea after all.

It must hurt not being one of us. I mean, you can never get rid of that JCL tag? It's there, footballs equivalent of a criminal record.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
and the deeply depressing Gabbiadini hatrick in the rain at Priestfield....).

At least you didn't travel all the way from Sheffield (and back) for that match with a Darlo fan. It did actually turn into one of the funniest days of my life though so I'm not complaining.

I'm not sure whether I'm classed as a JCL or not (or just a crap fan?) as I went to Priestfield and Withdean a few times and have been to the Amex more times, but living where I do I've actually been to more away games than home.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It must hurt not being one of us. I mean, you can never get rid of that JCL tag? It's there, footballs equivalent of a criminal record.
Why do you always post like you're some sort of uber fan? You make me cringe.

And regardless, alfredmizen's Amex habit is exactly the sort of thing that needs to be encouraged and in this thread he's guilty of nothing more than sticking up for his club.

I don't agree with his argument where he compares Withdean to Stamford Bridge but will say that if he could be arsed, he'd only have to go back to the late 80s and early 90s where our gates were absolutely toilet - FAR lower than comparable clubs. Where did two thirds of the 25,000-30,000 in the late 70s and early 80s get to? Our average gate in our play-off season of 1991 was barely 10,000.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Yes , its the bane of my football life , on matchdays we meet in the pub, have a few beers and a bit of a laugh with the blokes, the kids get a pub burger which they love, maybe even a couple of pints after the match if we fancy it , but the black cloudthats constantly hovering over my football life is the realisation that i'm not one of ''you'' , now i stress this doesnt apply to most brighton fans, but i'd rather insert a hot soldering iron down my japs eye than be recognised as one of the likes of ''you'', thats if you ever actually get to a game.

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
I dont ''support'' brighton , i am and always will be chelsea , i go to watch football at brighton , and love it when they do well , its mostly down to my disillusionment with how football is in the premier league and what chelsea have become, so it doesnt '' say it all '' whatsoever.

You and me both mate...Chelsea through and through but can't afford to keep going..my mate is a Brighton fan and wanted someone to go with so that's how I ended up going..Season ticket is cheap as chips so a no brainer. Still sneak in the odd game at the Bridge but I'm really enjoying going to Brighton this season, not difficult after last season though.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
You and me both mate...Chelsea through and through but can't afford to keep going..my mate is a Brighton fan and wanted someone to go with so that's how I ended up going..Season ticket is cheap as chips so a no brainer. Still sneak in the odd game at the Bridge but I'm really enjoying going to Brighton this season, not difficult after last season though.

You love it... Chelsea will be a distant memory soon ;-)

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
right , i'll state my case , im a season ticket holder at brighton , ive had 4 season tickets for 3 years , i gave up my chelsea season ticket last year, so ive no interest in simply slagging off brighton, but it amazes me how brighton fans can self righteously slag off plastics, jcl's or whatever you want to call them when their own team couldnt fill an 8000 capacity ground until very , very recently, ive been given various excuses such as the terrible facilities , rubbish quality of football , all things that chelsea suffered from until they got a rich benefactor , you really ought to be able to see the parallels , if brighton dont get promotion or went back down to league one then i can guarantee they will see fans deserting in their droves , hopefully it wont happen and ''we'' will get promoted this year, either way i'll be back next season along with my kids.
What an idiotic plastic fan comment:glare:
The withdean was a complete utter dump and open to the elements with expensive tickets...The first 3/4 seasons sold out and we could have tripled the attendance and let's not forget we were in the bottom two divisions for most of that.
A club that's had no funds or ambition for decades and only just got round to having a stadium of its own.
Chelsea are seriously full of toffs and seriously full of plastics and I can assure you if relegated they wouldn't get as many as us.Even the true supporters have had enough of the match day experience full of middle and upper class bellends and the foreign invasion.
You can't criticise us in that way as we're getting super crowds in the 2nd tier of English football and you don't get real plastics in the 2nd tier of English football...you get real fans.
We averaged over 27k in the 2nd tier last season while being dogshite and barely 10 clubs could do that at most in the country right now.

Maybe you should bigger off back to Chelsea :)

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON

And regardless, alfredmizen's Amex habit is exactly the sort of thing that needs to be encouraged and in this thread he's guilty of nothing more than sticking up for his club.

I don't agree with his argument where he compares Withdean to Stamford Bridge but will say that if he could be arsed, he'd only have to go back to the late 80s and early 90s where our gates were absolutely toilet - FAR lower than comparable clubs. Where did two thirds of the 25,000-30,000 in the late 70s and early 80s get to? Our average gate in our play-off season of 1991 was barely 10,000.
You mean like all the other clubs who had shite gates in the 80's and 90's?
Did you not see what the Goldstone was like and what a dump it was?
This club fed off scraps for decades and considering that our crowds were respectable

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You mean like all the other clubs who had shite gates in the 80's and 90's?
Did you not see what the Goldstone was like and what a dump it was?
This club fed off scraps for decades and considering that our crowds were respectable

They were all right in our promotion season in 1987/88 where we averaged 9,000 in division 3, but they didn't really get any better. By the time we finished 6th under Barry Lloyd in the old division 2 in 1991 (a division higher!) we were averaging a feeble 8,386. This was FAR lower than comparable clubs in that same division. Look at 1990 in these links for other clubs:

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/archive/eng/aveeng1990.htm

In our division, only Bournemouth, Hull(!!) and Oxford averaged lower than us in 1990

And here's the play-off season, where we averaged 8,386:
http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/archive/eng/aveeng1991.htm

About 6 or 7 clubs had worse gates, but none of them finished anywhere near the play-offs except the terribly supported Notts County, some of them (Blackburn) were close to being relegated, and some DID get relegated.

So yes, the Goldstone was a dump, but so were many other grounds. But our support was f*king shìt.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
same as me mate , great stadium, not that difficult to get to and from despite what some say, and a club thats (hopefully) going places, namely the premier league next year, it takes all the stress out of saturday football, namely no travelling up to london with the kids, like you i still sneak the odd game in at the bridge , but i'm bored with the selfie sticks and tourists :lolol:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
What an idiotic plastic fan comment:glare:
The withdean was a complete utter dump and open to the elements with expensive tickets...The first 3/4 seasons sold out and we could have tripled the attendance and let's not forget we were in the bottom two divisions for most of that.
A club that's had no funds or ambition for decades and only just got round to having a stadium of its own.
Chelsea are seriously full of toffs and seriously full of plastics and I can assure you if relegated they wouldn't get as many as us.Even the true supporters have had enough of the match day experience full of middle and upper class bellends and the foreign invasion.
You can't criticise us in that way as we're getting super crowds in the 2nd tier of English football and you don't get real plastics in the 2nd tier of English football...you get real fans.
We averaged over 27k in the 2nd tier last season while being dogshite and barely 10 clubs could do that at most in the country right now.

Maybe you should bigger off back to Chelsea :)
im bored with replying to delusional fools like you, have you not read any of my posts ? why do you think i dont go as much anymore you prat ?

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Good you've posted back and i agree EVERY team has these fans. I didn't just mean Chelsea. Here's an example of what i mean. Couple seasons back when Brighton was doing well and up around the playoff's i would often in the first time in about 15 years see people and kids in Brighton shirts. Last season however i would see the odd One or Two. Alot of people whether they like to admit it or not have a 2nd team or follow/Have a softpot for another and like to keep up with their results. Trust me i'm far from self righteous when it comes to plastics as i put my hands up and say i used to be one myself.

Good God these flippin' plastics debates are so flippin' tedious...

Just a quick observation:

Out of the 6 season ticket holders in my office, 2 of us are Brighton fans, 2 are Liverpool fans who take their sons (they're turning), 1 is a Birmingham fan (goes with his mates who are Brighton) and 1 had never been to a game of football in his life before The Amex was built (although he now seems to think he is a die hard lifelong supporter)

Jan 1, 2014
Calm down Brighton fans, times change. Chelsea are now the biggest club in London and Arsenal know it, a Gooner confessed to me they gave Chelsea the baton when Drogba buried that pen in Munich. They will fill their new ground, yes there will be alot of plastics, but over half of the Amex support never went to a game at the Goldstone or the Withdean and are plastics. Unfortunately Football has become a plastics paradise. A plastic is probably reading this right now and thinking **** me this guy talks sense.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Calm down Brighton fans, times change. Chelsea are now the biggest club in London and Arsenal know it, a Gooner confessed to me they gave Chelsea the baton when Drogba buried that pen in Munich. They will fill their new ground, yes there will be alot of plastics, but over half of the Amex support never went to a game at the Goldstone or the Withdean and are plastics. Unfortunately Football has become a plastics paradise. A plastic is probably reading this right now and thinking **** me this guy talks sense.

I thought the definition of plastic was someone who has all of a club's merchandise but never goes to a game?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

I am. Just because you're not, I can't help your jealousy. As for him only being guilty for sticking up for his club...hmmm, I'd say I'm not alone in thinking there's a few more things on that list. Being a monumental arse, for example. Anyway, all good fun. No offence like.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here