Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chelsea or Fulham?

Who do you want to win?

• Chelsea

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • Fulham

Votes: 158 69.0%
  • A draw is not an option. Man up. Do not vote for this option.

Votes: 63 27.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Sorry but no.

Both situations were completely different.
cAshworth felt he could hand in his notice and walk, without his contract being paid out.
The Saudi's thought they could bluff Unkie Tony (bless them)
cAshworth left when they finally realised Bloom & Barber were happy to sit it out for 12 months, and eventually paid up.

Boehly said "the media tells me I need Potter - how much?"
To which the answer was £21m.
Boehly instantly paid so there was nothing The B's could do.
Fair enough
But still seems like Cashworth was stopped from going early while Potter and the crew were waved off into that Gold Sunset of theirs.
The B’s could have invoked Potters contract too.
But to be honest, I suppose we will never know all the behind the scenes stuff.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Fair enough
But still seems like Cashworth was stopped from going early while Potter and the crew were waved off into that Gold Sunset of theirs.
Nope. Potter had a release clause which was met.

Newcastle wouldn’t pay the compensation so we held him to his notice period. Also made sure our January / summer transfer business stayed within our club for as long as possible

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Can’t believe that. TB was ok with Potter. He didn’t stop the move though because he was let down. Just move on fast.
I'm just thinking about the chain of events.

When Chelsea made an official approach there would've been an emergency board meeting. In that meeting they surely would've discussed options for next manager.

If the top of the list is currently without a club it would certainly influence a decision to move things quickly and sign your number one target.

All hypothetical of course, but I don't think that's a far fetched theory.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Fair enough
They were not just waved off- allegedly we received £20m+ in compensation. That's the difference.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Nope. Potter had a release clause which was met.

Newcastle wouldn’t pay the compensation so we held him to his notice period. Also made sure our January / summer transfer business stayed within our club for as long as possible
Oh ok 👍👍👍

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I've just remembered what Warren Aspinall said about us during one game (it may have been Everton - not sure).

Excitedly, he said we are quicker in the final third, and that doesn't give opposition defences the time to set.

Obviously he was comparing it to how we used to be. If we are now quicker, then by definition, we used to be too slow in the final third. Result, no goals.

I've got a lot of time for Warren. We take the mick out of his inability to pronounce players' names, but his insight is often very interesting.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
I’ve thought this too - maybe not encouraged but definitely didn’t stand in his way.
There was much more of an issue for the club in Cashworth moving.
Potter and the rest of the mob seemed to be waved off with a thanks very much, see you around. 😃
Because Tony knew Potter was replaceable (unlike most our fans) and £20m+ for a coaching team is almost unheard of.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fair enough
You really are looking for something that isn't there.

Chelsea met the terms of the contract release, Newcastle didn't - that's it end of story.

I guess you could point to The B's not counter offering Potter an improved contract as a 'thing'.
But that isn't either as they've gone to great lengths to say they were #TeamRoberto before the money had even appeared in the account.

Chelsea paid Bloom £21m in order to allow Unkie Tone to get what he wanted.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Got to be close to the sack now

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Got to be close to the sack now
I do think there's a Fergie/Bournemouth type situation looming.

We all know, in his darkest hour GPott does pull a rabbit out of the hat.
He absolutely stunk the county out, 12 months ago, then threw everything out the window played all his midfielders and North London was ours.

If he can get one tune out of all these players I doubt they'll be stopped, big IF though!

West Ham next the Champions League.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I've just remembered what Warren Aspinall said about us during one game (it may have been Everton - not sure).

Excitedly, he said we are quicker in the final third, and that doesn't give opposition defences the time to set.

Obviously he was comparing it to how we used to be. If we are now quicker, then by definition, we used to be too slow in the final third. Result, no goals.

I've got a lot of time for Warren. We take the mick out of his inability to pronounce players' names, but his insight is often very interesting.
it was always about possession for the sake of it, lacked aggression. as you obversed earlier. Potter wasnt a bad manager, just a bit frustrating, we know we could play but sooo many draws against poorer teams.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Interesting reading "The Shed End" forum; endless moaning about Potter's team selection and tactics resulting in no goals. It sounds like us a year ago but with an extra dose of whining due to them having spent £500M on players since June...

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Is this a whoosh comment? Fulham seem to be quite a good side…i wouldn’t be upset if they finish 5th and us 6th
Fulham have been brilliant this year. To be fair to Potter, his extra £600 mill of talent got him a point more than he managed with us poor saps (easier life for him though h)

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Interesting reading "The Shed End" forum; endless moaning about Potter's team selection and tactics resulting in no goals. It sounds like us a year ago but with an extra dose of whining due to them having spent £500M on players since June...

They have spent 600 million and he's still starting Ziyech Mount/ Gallagher, I'd be pissed off.

They were so slow in the attack and looked weak defensively, he's left the only fit senior striker out the Champions League squad as well.

It's almost like he's trying to get sacked

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
it was always about possession for the sake of it, lacked aggression. as you obversed earlier. Potter wasnt a bad manager, just a bit frustrating, we know we could play but sooo many draws against poorer teams.
I understand the value of possession football. When you've got the ball, the opposition can't hurt you.

But I'm drawn to the phrase 'It is what it is'. I'm not repeating an old joke there by the way. I'm making an observation.

When a person says 'It is what it is', it tells you he accepts the way things are. Maybe he's happy, maybe he's just resigned to things not changing. But the key takeaway is that he's already decided not to aim for anything else, or anything better.

There's no point in thinking about what might have been, because it isn't going to happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here