Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chelsea or Fulham?

Who do you want to win?

• Chelsea

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • Fulham

Votes: 158 69.0%
  • A draw is not an option. Man up. Do not vote for this option.

Votes: 63 27.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Especially when the coaching team you describe is nothing more than slightly above average…
The issue Potter is going to have when he's sacked off for Chelsea is people can see the job he did at Brighton was over rated, how much better do Brighton look now without him with the same squad?

I don't see the same sort losing/no winning run potter oversaw under RDZ

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
You really are looking for something that isn't there.

Chelsea met the terms of the contract release, Newcastle didn't - that's it end of story.

I guess you could point to The B's not counter offering Potter an improved contract as a 'thing'.
But that isn't either as they've gone to great lengths to say they were #TeamRoberto before the money had even appeared in the account.

Chelsea paid Bloom £21m in order to allow Unkie Tone to get what he wanted.
Ah ok 👍👍

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
It's taken Fulham 26 years (& Albion probably longer) to spend the amount of money on players that Chelscum have spent in the last 6 months!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The argument you are having (unnecessarily aggressively, of course) is nothing to do with rewriting history. The crux of it is that some posters are convinced that what happened at the end of last season and beginning of this represented Potter solving our goal scoring problems, others see it as an anomaly in the pattern of lacking goals. Most sit somewhere in-between.

No revisionism no rewriting history just the need for a longer purple patch to prove the goal scoring problem that Potterball was solved.

The fact that he is having the same problem at Chelsea suggests that maybe (maybe) goal scoring problems are an unwanted feature of potterball. Will he solve it? Only time will tell.
I'd probably add that we started 2020/21 with 3 wins in 4, then from the end of September we went 1.5 wins in 18 (pen shoot out victory v newport is the half)
In 2021/22 we started with 6 wins in 7. Then went 1 win in the thirteen games from the end of september up to the new year.
We started 2022/23 with five wins in 7 up to the end of September. Then Potter left.

We will never know if Potter had turned it around, or if he was repeating the pattern. Perhaps, like with that old stat about Kane not scoring in October, or what people have highlighted with Trossard in winter, Potter just struggles with games from October through to the end of December.

Chelsea are going to be a force to be reckoned with in the new year...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
it was always about possession for the sake of it, lacked aggression. as you obversed earlier. Potter wasnt a bad manager, just a bit frustrating, we know we could play but sooo many draws against poorer teams.
Anybody who dared suggest such a thing in real time was told they Didn't Understand Football :lol:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The issue Potter is going to have when he's sacked off for Chelsea is people can see the job he did at Brighton was over rated, how much better do Brighton look now without him with the same squad?

I don't see the same sort losing/no winning run potter oversaw under RDZ
I think he thinks he’s a better coach than he actually is, Solly March being a classic example of a player who I never thought I’d say, all of a sudden brings a depth flare and a degree of sharpness down his flank, now you tell me where this ability has suddenly appeared from??

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think he thinks he’s a better coach than he actually is, Solly March being a classic example of a player who I never thought I’d say, all of a sudden brings a depth flare and a degree of sharpness down his flank, now you tell me where this ability has suddenly appeared from??
Dunno but every other manager prior to GPott couldn't harness Solly's potential either, so it seems unfair to pin that on him.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Dunno but every other manager prior to GPott couldn't harness Solly's potential either, so it seems unfair to pin that on him.
I think there was much more reliance under Potter (and previous managers) for the WBs to lead the attacking sequences which left Solly (and Trossard) isolated a lot of the time so he did not have as much goal scoring opportunities imo - Trossard was always better at getting inside. I think we can credit RDZ therefore for changing the whole team in ways previous managers have not done (eg moving to a 4-2-3-1) and March’s improvement isn‘t just by his own efforts but having 10 other players, (in particular the double pivot in our current box to box midfielders) giving him useful balls and having him play as one of 4 AM.

This is allowing him to attack the space more where he is becoming a royal pain in the arse to oppo FBs and getting behind even low block defence lines so he is having a much greater impact on our finishing capabilities. He still looses possession and still too many xG- type shots off target but he is definitely a much more confident and aggressive player under RDZ backed up by a much more confident and aggressive team overall and I think we can expect his xG rating (and the team’s) to continue to improve.

PS Oh Fulham or Chelsea? Fulham obviously - Also, don’t think they can maintain their current momentum until April and Chelsea could still do a ‘Newcastle’ on us and leapfrog ahead based on their recent acquisitions in the January window, so absolutely no wins or draws for them (ever again 😉).

PPS ever

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here