[Albion] Chelsea have a genuine interest in Brighton manager Roberto de Zerbi

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i'm sure they do.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Is obviously the correct answer
Its easy to see articles like this and start worrying, but there's other articles written in exactly the same manner but inserting a different managers name. A quick google and you can see similar written about Pochettino, Zidane, Simeone, and Enrique.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think Liverpool, Tottenham, Newcastle and Chelsea will all have eyes on De Zerbi. I don't think any will come for him till the summer, but someone will, I suspect that unless it's a big Italian team, he will stay with us for another season. Would be funny if he went to Chelsea though, and just got them losing by more goals than Potter.
As for us, I wouldn't be surprised if we appointed someone we all end up preferring, and Chelsea coming for them after they sack De Zerbi.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Once bitten, twice shy?

Chelsea have a genuine interest in Brighton manager Roberto de Zerbi and he would be keen to replace Graham Potter, sources have told Football Insider.
The Blues hierarchy are eyeing De Zerbi as one of the potential contenders in case they change their manager.​
The Italian, 43, is regarded as a top-level manager by Chelsea given the instant success he has had in the Premier League with Brighton and his successful track record of working with young players.​

It’s really really funny until it becomes true, at which point it becomes sickening. You’d think they’d be looking at managers with CL winning experience. He’ll do better faster than Potter, but I think Chelsea’s fan base will go spare.

I have to be honest, I don’t see De Zerbi being here (at Brighton) more than three seasons regardless. It’s completely unscientific, but he just strikes me as a personality that (while loyal when he’s with us) will get restless and feel the need to jump to a new challenge.

However, I don’t feel that we even have a De Zerbi team yet, we’re still very much in transition, so to lose him before we’ve even seen what he can really do would be very frustrating.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I would imagine the only thing Chelsea supporters would ever want from Brighton again are 3 points not that that's very likely either,but it will be fun watching the meltdown on both sets of message boards. I've just got one thing I'd like to add on behalf of myself and my Brighton and Hove Albion supporting chums

Get Out Jagyasini Singh GIF

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
He came to us after Potter had seemingly sorted out the team and got everyone playing. As others have noted, Potter essentially set the foundations and De Zerbi has built on that.

Would be hilarious if Potter failed to set the foundations, making it impossible for De Zerbi to build on anything and he ends up being hounded out of Chelsea, too!
I'd say Hughton laid the foundations

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I think that if Chelsea come for any other member of our club, their fans would go into complete meltdown. Other clubs fans would be happy to have him but Chelsea fans won't be happy bunnies.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
As well as the £50m compensation, just think how good the next manager that Tony's got lined up is going to be?

And then in 6 months time and another £75m from Chelsea later, the one after that?

(It's a no from me.)

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Personally I would think if they do sack GP the big club arrogance will kick in and they'll think 'well we're not doing that again'. They'll revert to type and go for a big name manager.
100% this.

Potter struggling is the best thing for us keeping hold of De Zerbi. Because "he did well at Brighton" is, at the moment, going to be answered with "so did Potter"

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Its easy to see articles like this and start worrying, but there's other articles written in exactly the same manner but inserting a different managers name. A quick google and you can see similar written about Pochettino, Zidane, Simeone, and Enrique.
The only one who’d jump at it is RDZ imo :shrug:

The others all know what toxic means, from experience

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Nobody is coming in for RDZ until he's a) managed us for at least a season and b) actually sodding achieved something.
Does anyone really think a top 6 club is going to come in for a manager who's been here 6 months!?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As well as the £50m compensation, just think how good the next manager that Tony's got lined up is going to be?

And then in 6 months time and another £75m from Chelsea later, the one after that?

(It's a no from me.)
I think it’s time Tony did a Ron Noades at Brentford :lolol:

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I'd say Hughton laid the foundations

Hughton kept us up, and did us proud, but the foundations for the more attractive style of play and variations in formation and approach were built by Potter. For me Hughton was the “just about surviving” base that we built from.

Don’t want to underestimate what Hughton did for us, he will always have my respect, but as a team, and in our style of play, Potter (to my mind) was the catalyst for our change in approach.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Sources tell me that if I want to make up any old rubbish then this is a very obvious way of doing it. Give it a few days and then we will have "Mitoma eyes £50 million transfer to Arsenal" as the next made up headline for us all to get frothy about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here