Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chelsea "fans" abuse

mrjon1976

Found bliss in ignorance
Jul 25, 2011
gravesend
As an afterthought from last night, I saw multiple reports of Brighton fans suffering homophobic abuse both inside & outside the ground. I know there was that instance of that poor fan near the away end that was targeted for some reason, and I also was the target of an unprovoked attack walking back to the car post game.

Without wishing to tarnish the entire fan base (as every team has their share of idiots), but what surprised me was the volume and venomous nature of it from them - havent heard that level in years (maybe Im lucky in that).

I did email Chelsea Pride about my experience, but have not heard back from them as yet. I also understand that Darren Balkham is aware of various incidents. I also understand that some Chelsea fans in the away end were calling out their own last night too,.

Not wishing to escalate things or cause any unnecessary drama, but what can realistically be done about this - no one should feel like they can't watch their team because of targeted slurs

Jul 7, 2003
As an afterthought from last night, I saw multiple reports of Brighton fans suffering homophobic abuse both inside & outside the ground. I know there was that instance of that poor fan near the away end that was targeted for some reason, and I also was the target of an unprovoked attack walking back to the car post game.

Without wishing to tarnish the entire fan base (as every team has their share of idiots), but what surprised me was the volume and venomous nature of it from them - havent heard that level in years (maybe Im lucky in that).

I did email Chelsea Pride about my experience, but have not heard back from them as yet. I also understand that Darren Balkham is aware of various incidents. I also understand that some Chelsea fans in the away end were calling out their own last night too,.

Not wishing to escalate things or cause any unnecessary drama, but what can realistically be done about this - no one should feel like they can't watch their team because of targeted slurs
I didn't see what happened but I did see an Albion fan leaning against the slope near the South West corner with people seeing if they were okay - I assume that is the incident you were referring to

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
what can realistically be done about this - no one should feel like they can't watch their team because of targeted slurs

Sadly realistically not much can be done without mass banning of their fans. It's a sorry state of affairs and as you say no one should feel like they can't attend a match.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon

Ban the away fans of clubs that have fans doing this

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Ban the away fans of clubs that have fans doing this
And lose all that luvvly jubbly cash from the away fans? Only in Barber's worst nightmare. :lolol:

Yeah. In a decent world this would happen. But it would probably be against PL rules to ban away supporters from games. Then there would be retribution and our fans would be banned from Stamford Bridge and so it goes on until there are no away fans at any EPL game.

No. The only way is for the police and stewards to eject, and for the police to arrest, all fans making racist or homophobic remarks in or around the stadium. Enforce the law and punish the miscreants with banning orders and prison. You'll soon see a reduction in these kinds of incidents.

The stewards have the power to enforce the ground regulations. The police have the power to enforce the law. Why they are clearly failing to do so I do not know.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
And lose all that luvvly jubbly cash from the away fans? Only in Barber's worst nightmare. :lolol:

Yeah. In a decent world this would happen. But it would probably be against PL rules to ban away supporters from games. Then there would be retribution and our fans would be banned from Stamford Bridge and so it goes on until there are no away fans at any EPL game.

No. The only way is for the police and stewards to eject, and for the police to arrest, all fans making racist or homophobic remarks in or around the stadium. Enforce the law and punish the miscreants with banning orders and prison. You'll soon see a reduction in these kinds of incidents.

The stewards have the power to enforce the ground regulations. The police have the power to enforce the law. Why they are clearly failing to do so I do not know.
That will never happen either. If fans are found to have been racist and homophobic then the club should be able to ban all of them. It may be against rules but then change the rules, instead of putting boundaries in the way.

If no way fans then more home fans could theoretically attend.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It should be made clear at the time of ticket purchase that the away team selling the tickets (in this case Chelsea) is responsible for the behaviour of Chelsea fans in and around the stadium, and it is liable for a fine and the withdrawal of tickets for future away matches if the fans are guilty of racist, homophobic, etc chanting and other unacceptable behaviour.

Maybe it already is and I didn’t read the small print.

It must then be enforced.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Did luton get fined after the opening game of the season or did I dream it ?

Yes they did, £120,000

Also confirms the away club are responsible for how their fans behave. So hopefully we will see a similar punishment dished out to Chelsea.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
There are folk that engage in all kinds of abuse because they think they are funny and others who are downright toxic and nasty.

Only a few fall in the latter category and Chelsea appear to be one of them.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Unfortunately it’ll be tough to get anything done because too many in this country simply don’t regard homophobic abuse as a problem

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Well, the prisons are full and falling apart so just try and speak to your kids and maybe their friends and tell them when they’re on their own in future this is simply unacceptable behaviour. Prevention better than cure etc!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Yes they did, £120,000

Also confirms the away club are responsible for how their fans behave. So hopefully we will see a similar punishment dished out to Chelsea.
Unless it’s a billion quid fine how on earth is that going to punish Chelsea?

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
There are folk that engage in all kinds of abuse because they think they are funny and others who are downright toxic and nasty.

Only a few fall in the latter category and Chelsea appear to be one of them.
Honestly last night was evil as you know I’m not one to shirk away but even I found it very uncomfortable

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here