Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chelsea bid £105m for Enzo Fernandez

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
This bending of the rules may well come back to bite them.

By stretching out declared transfer fees over several years, all they are doing is just spending chunks of money in ADVANCE of the next few transfer windows. Effectively they have pre-spent large amounts and hopefully their effectiveness in the market in future will be somewhat hit. Similar to 'hire purchase' - there are long term consequences.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This bending of the rules may well come back to bite them.

By stretching out declared transfer fees over several years, all they are doing is just spending chunks of money in ADVANCE of the next few transfer windows. Effectively they have pre-spent large amounts and hopefully their effectiveness in the market in future will be somewht hit. Similar to 'hire purchase' - there are long term consequences.
Absolutely, yes.

But being pedantic, they've not pre-spent, they've very much spent spent.

It's the key difference between cashflow and accounting for that cashflow. The cash goes NOW (putting aside a transfer may be paid for in instalments), whilst the accounting for that cash happens over the term of the contract of the player bought, subject to the new UEFA five-year maximum.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I think Potter must feel very conflicted. On the one hand it's not what he was sold, on the other Todd seems to be backing him in the long run so it's likely he/they will be challenging on all fronts simply by default from next season.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I think Potter must feel very conflicted. On the one hand it's not what he was sold, on the other Todd seems to be backing him in the long run so it's likely he/they will be challenging on all fronts simply by default from next season.
With their squad I think it would be harder to fail to achieve top 4 than to get it TBH. The most egregious financial doping that has ever happened in the PL era.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Bend the rules too far and they will snap. I think I’m going to enjoy following their downfall. I just how they don’t get to enjoy any silverware in the meantime. The EPL have really got to change the FFP rules and stop this destruction of our national game.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
All this money being spent by Chelsea hopefully makes them more likely to accept an offer from us to get Colwill in on a permanent basis.
Indeed just too many players, they are interesting in developing them themselves. So let a proper club do it...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Winstanley pulls another rabbit out of the hat.

Nobody had heard of this fella yesterday - and boom, Chelsea scoop him up.

I guess that kind of scouting is exactly why they fought so hard for him.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
So, when will it stop?

This is ridiculous. Clearly Potter isn't influencing a long term transfer strategy in the slightest.

They will have spent £500m since Boehly came in. How is that fair play at all?
No no. I think you'll find this is all absolutely fine as they are only doing it on long term contracts. No problem at all

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
But he has won the World Cup. Playing alongside our other central midfielder so we know where the bidding begins for any interested parties there now too.
Yes that's true enough. I still reckon the PL is harder than the World Cup, and AliMac, Caicedo, Mitoma etc have done both 👍👍

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here