Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chelsea - behind closed doors friendly?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Not sure why people would worry about this.

Firstly, we will be doing it for US in the fact that our players need to keep match fit and 3 weeks without a game isn’t ideal, doesn’t really matter who it is against does it ?

Secondly …. Those saying “it’s a shop windows for our players” … seriously ? I very much doubt Chelsea need to look at any of our players in great detail bearing in mind the coaching staff at Chelsea have been working with them every day for 3 years

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Would be a ****ing awful idea to okay Chelsea. Any other opponent preferable. ANY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
What’s the big deal. Players need games, Chelsea are local and don’t have a game. Are there any other local sides who don’t have a game this weekend

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What’s the big deal. Players need games, Chelsea are local and don’t have a game. Are there any other local sides who don’t have a game this weekend

Of a decent standard (and I use the term loosely)? Only Palace, and for security reasons that was never going to happen, even if both sides would happily take it on.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Players desperately need a run out, Chelsea aren’t far away, Palace can **** off and we’ve had plenty enough discussion with Chelsea lately to have agreed this. Perfectly OK IMO.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I suspect this is BS - I'm pretty sure I remember Paul Barber saying that the Premier League don't allow friendlies during the season - i think someone asked at the fans forum about friendlies in the international breaks before. Even if it was allowed, I would be highly surprised if the Albion entertained the idea - They have little to gain compared to Chelsea - No new manager to see how players perform, shop window for Chelsea to further review who they might want to rip from our hearts, no income, potential bad feeling from the fans - And would it help the players if theywere stuffed 4/5-0 by their old manager?

I think behind closed doors friendlies are allowed but no tv cameras - I may be wrong though

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Given the enforced break in league action, I guess if we were very close to announcing a new manager, it would be very convenient to be able to host a fixture against a strong opponent in order that the new gaffer is able to see his team-to-be in action, and give him some ideas ahead of the return of the meaningful games.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Given the enforced break in league action, I guess if we were very close to announcing a new manager, it would be very convenient to be able to host a fixture against a strong opponent in order that the new gaffer is able to see his team-to-be in action, and give him some ideas ahead of the return of the meaningful games.

Yeah if he's in place tomorrowm or whenever the game is played, that is.

I'm guessing there will be another game next week as most of the squad won't be on international duty.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
We know there’s a manager we’ve spoken to, currently has no commitments and now appears odds on to join, so it’ll be very useful for them to see ther new players first hand.

Simonf93

Apr 25, 2012
it’s a 12:30ko, had this from a source who works at club….. was set up as only local club to us with no fixture this weekend…… apparently a certain manager will be present before an announcement later

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
There are rumours circulating on Twitter that we’re going to be playing Chelsea in a behind closed doors friendly. Has anyone else heard anything?

I think Todd is referring to it as a private viewing of Brighton’s merchandise!

It's said that Boehly wants a feeder club structure for talent and young player pathways.

He could be casting his eye over us intent on buying 2..... taking us and USG off Blooms hands

Chelsea B(righton) :moo:

tonyt

Feb 23, 2009
I don’t know why, but even after all these years this still makes me laugh out loud every time I see this.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Got to paint BOO on a bedsheet and hang it up in Mash Barn Lane

Leave a bit extra so you can reuse it when Newcastle next come to town. Boourns.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
It's said that Boehly wants a feeder club structure for talent and young player pathways.

He could be casting his eye over us intent on buying 2..... taking us and USG off Blooms hands

Chelsea B(righton) :moo:

What a dreadful thought, I think that would be the moment I'd have to give up on the Albion, when their existence becomes shallow, pointless only for the benefit of Chelsea. But it won't happen.

tonyt

Feb 23, 2009
I don’t know why, but even after all these years this still makes me laugh out loud every time I see this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here