Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chelsea Away Date

C17BHA

Feb 24, 2009
Given that we are playing AEK Athens away on Thu, Nov 30th is it fair to assume the Chelsea away game which is scheduled for Sat, Dec 2nd will be moved to the Sunday? If it is that will surely pose a problem for the Brentford home game which is on Tue, Dec 5th and live on Amazon. One or both of these games should be moved ?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Given that we are playing AEK Athens away on Thu, Nov 30th is it fair to assume the Chelsea away game which is scheduled for Sat, Dec 2nd will be moved to the Sunday? If it is that will surely pose a problem for the Brentford home game which is on Tue, Dec 5th and live on Amazon. One or both of these games should be moved ?
Yer that's a good point about Brentford. I guess if we have an early kick off Sunday then that's 2.5 days away from Chelsea and Brentford. Not bloody ideal though is it.

Chelsea will definitely move. Brentford probably should move to the Wednesday, as Amazon have a about 5 games on each of those days they probably won't care.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That midweek round of fixtures is one of those "all on Amazon" rounds.

Chelsea will have to move to the Sunday. Ordinarly Monday would be an option too, but that can't be used because of the midweek games.

Amazon currently have nine games scheduled for Tuesday night with Manchester United v Chelsea the sole Wednesday evening game. The most likely scenario is all games involving Europa League/Conference League sides also move to the Wednesday, so:

Aston Villa v Manchester City
Albion v Brentford
Sheffield United v Liverpool
Spurs v West Ham

...as Villa, Liverpool and West Ham will also have to play on the preceding Sunday.

There could also be the chance of a game or two on Thursday night, I guess, as the following weekend's fixtures have yet to be allocated for TV, and some could bump to Sunday/Monday to make room for that.

Jimmy Grimble

On the subject of December games, I’ve been trying to work out the likelihood of Palace away getting moved. Currently down as the 23rd, but I can see one fixture from that day being brought forward to the Friday night, with the likelihood being two teams who are out of the League Cup as the QFs of that will be playing midweek.

Chelsea look likely to go through, as do one of Liverpool or Arsenal (who play each other on 23rd so if one of them wins their tie they wouldn’t play Friday), one of Man U or Newcastle, one of Everton or Burnley and possibly Fulham.

Looking at the fixture list for that game week, that leaves our game wide open to be brought forward to the Friday. We will have played Arsenal on the Sunday prior following our final Europa League group game.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I’m more worried about those twats at EPL/TV moving it to Christmas Eve, they’ll use the excuse it’s ‘for the fans’ as it’s not far to travel.
I’m hoping for 12.30 slot on 23rd, expecting 14.00 on 24th 🙁

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I’m more worried about those twats at EPL/TV moving it to Christmas Eve, they’ll use the excuse it’s ‘for the fans’ as it’s not far to travel.

Surely that would mean the Boxing Day fixture then gets moved too?

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
I assumed the Brentford match would get moved to the Wednesday, but hadn't considered the Thursday. I think we played on Thursday during Amazon week before? Arsenal away maybe?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
On the subject of December games, I’ve been trying to work out the likelihood of Palace away getting moved. Currently down as the 23rd, but I can see one fixture from that day being brought forward to the Friday night, with the likelihood being two teams who are out of the League Cup as the QFs of that will be playing midweek.

Chelsea look likely to go through, as do one of Liverpool or Arsenal (who play each other on 23rd so if one of them wins their tie they wouldn’t play Friday), one of Man U or Newcastle, one of Everton or Burnley and possibly Fulham.

Looking at the fixture list for that game week, that leaves our game wide open to be brought forward to the Friday. We will have played Arsenal on the Sunday prior following our final Europa League group game.
Palace on a Friday night. Tasty.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Wait until 2029 with the American owners pushing the Saturday 3pm blackout to be removed to increase club value. Once done a full American approach to the PL will be applied, so then expect Palace to be moved to Christmas Day along with another 3 games or so to provide wall to wall coverage on Christmas Day.

It's what the fans want after their Christmas lunch, and of course higher TV commercial prices.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The American angle is interesting...

It's no longer the case, but until recently the NFL had a rule that if a game had not sold out (or nearly sold out) tickets for a game, it would not be shown on TV in the local area, thereby actively encouraging people to go to the game live.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Surely that would mean the Boxing Day fixture then gets moved too?
Boxing Day fixture is likely to be picked for TV, isn't it? Not many other particularly attractive TV fixtures that day.

Fiskmås

Jan 2, 2020
Sorry if I’m hijacking this thread with an unrelated question, but it seems there’s a few of you here who are extremely on top of things.

I just bought flights on sale for the Burnley game on December 9th. Is there anything so far indicating that game might get moved? And if so, what should I drink to drown my sorrows?

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I wouldn't worry about that. They'll never do that for train service reasons.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sorry if I’m hijacking this thread with an unrelated question, but it seems there’s a few of you here who are extremely on top of things.

I just bought flights on sale for the Burnley game on December 9th. Is there anything so far indicating that game might get moved? And if so, what should I drink to drown my sorrows?
TV fixtures have not been selected yet, so it may be moved - there's no real way of knowing.

You can look at the fixtures on the same date and make a case for some being more attractive to broadcasters, such as:

Villa v Arsenal
Luton v Man City
Spurs v Newcastle

...but all clubs need to be shown a minimum number of times and often TV picks look like they've been made just to help fulfil a quota.

The good news is that two of the likely moves are on the same day - lunchtime and teatime on the Saturday - so if your travel schedule allows, a fixture change may not ruin your plans.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

It's not fixed yet as the TV fixtures haven't been announced. That said, it's a brave TV exec who looks at a Burnley v Brighton game and says "Stick that on the Sunday 16.30 slot lads"

The only issue is the midweek Brentford game prior to Burnley. If they move that to Thursday, that'll move Burnley to Sunday. We already know Chelsea wil be Sunday 2nd.

Fiskmås

Jan 2, 2020
TV fixtures have not been selected yet, so it may be moved - there's no real way of knowing.

You can look at the fixtures on the same date and make a case for some being more attractive to broadcasters, such as:

Villa v Arsenal
Luton v Man City
Spurs v Newcastle

...but all clubs need to be shown a minimum number of times and often TV picks look like they've been made just to help fulfil a quota.

The good news is that two of the likely moves are on the same day - lunchtime and teatime on the Saturday - so if your travel schedule allows, a fixture change may not ruin your plans.

It's not fixed yet as the TV fixtures haven't been announced. That said, it's a brave TV exec who looks at a Burnley v Brighton game and says "Stick that on the Sunday 16.30 slot lads"

The only issue is the midweek Brentford game prior to Burnley. If they move that to Thursday, that'll move Burnley to Sunday. We already know Chelsea wil be Sunday 2nd.

Alright, that helps calm me down a bit, cheers! I arrive late on Friday and leave early Monday, so as long as it sticks to Saturday or Sunday I'm good. And considering the Brentford game before and Marseille after, I'm guessing a Friday night kick-off is very unlikely.

Fingers crossed.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Alright, that helps calm me down a bit, cheers! I arrive late on Friday and leave early Monday, so as long as it sticks to Saturday or Sunday I'm good. And considering the Brentford game before and Marseille after, I'm guessing a Friday night kick-off is very unlikely.

Fingers crossed.
No Friday night games when there are midweek fixtures. As Marseille is after Burnley, it makes a Monday night game unlikely albeit not impossible without checking the TV time slot games for the weekend.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Burnley tickets were due to go on sale today to Albion+ members, but this has been delayed by seven days so hopefully the tv decisions are fairly imminent, but when of course did TV care about the fans, then of course they might be waiting for the Brentford game to be decided as that will have to be moved to Wednesday but could be moved to Thursday meaning another 2pm Sunday game for Burnley which will mean one lost recovery day before what will be a massive game

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
The American angle is interesting...

It's no longer the case, but until recently the NFL had a rule that if a game had not sold out (or nearly sold out) tickets for a game, it would not be shown on TV in the local area, thereby actively encouraging people to go to the game live.
Becoming clear now why we have been normalising pre attendance for an extended period of time, always one step ahead

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here