Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chelsea and Nicolas - thanks, but no thanks

finbar

Jul 15, 2003
Hove
have him back, hes shit.

I was moderately excited to find out we'd signed him and thought he might be useful, but he's like a slower, more badly postioned, less able to to tackle version of Charlie. What the f*** is the point of him playing, i have watched him closely for 3 games now, and he's so far off the pace its untrue. Its our central midfield that is causing us all our problems currently, fair enough hinshelwood is playing out of position, but if Nicolas thinks he is going to make it as a pro in league football i suggest he signs for Crawley and hope they go up.

As far as a solution (assuming Paul Reid must have murdered someone or be badly injured ) until chippy or charlie or rodger are back give the entire squad food poisoning so we can postpoine our games.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I actually think Nicolas is pretty good, he is a solid unspectualr sort of player, his passes go to who they intended them to go to and he is always looking for an attacking passing opition, its a shame when he realeases the ball that the rest of the team decide to pass it back again. He could do with being better when it comes to tackling though as that side of his game does let him down a bit.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I was actually thinking the same thing as you before the game yesterday finbar, that yes he is very much like Oatway but not as good.
However I thought he played ok lastnight. He tackled, he passed, he got stuck in and tried to get forward when possible.
Gonna have to reserve judgement for now I think.

ILOVEBHA

Jul 27, 2004
Shoreham By Sea
I think he was the best player last night along with Currie.Every game he seems to get better.He passes to a Brighton player every time and is now looking to make forward runs.You can tell he is a class player.I don`t remember one bad pass all night.
How any one can say Oatway is better than Nicolas must be on drugs.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
ILOVEBHA said:
I think he was the best player last night along with Currie.Every game he seems to get better.He passes to a Brighton player every time and is now looking to make forward runs.You can tell he is a class player.I don`t remember one bad pass all night.
How any one can say Oatway is better than Nicolas must be on drugs.

I agree

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
i think nicolas is going to be a fantastic player he has impressed me every game so far

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
People who doubt Nicolas, ask yourselves this question. Without him, where the hell would our midfield be at right now? He's the only one who can actually pass the ball to an Albion player, and I feel is quite effective winning the ball back; often through intercepting passes rather than tackling (which he is not half as bad at as some people on here make out)

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I thought he was ok last night. He was chasing and getting some good tackles in. He also has the ability to spread the ball about. Unfortunately Cullip, Butter and Virgo are unaware that the midfield were playing and decided the best bet would be to land a pin point ball on top of Knight's head from 60 yards between two defenders...

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
Lammy said:
I thought he was ok last night. He was chasing and getting some good tackles in. He also has the ability to spread the ball about. Unfortunately Cullip, Butter and Virgo are unaware that the midfield were playing and decided the best bet would be to land a pin point ball on top of Knight's head from 60 yards between two defenders...
spot on we might as well not bothered playing with a midfield

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
He is not shit. He was having to come and get the ball in ineffectual areas because our defence panicked and was sitting so deep. Therefore he was getting the ball in areas he could not hurt the opponents.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Taxi for Finbar:dunce:

Finbar is spot on. Nicolas was disappointing last night. His defensive work lacked anticipation, his tackling was ineffectual and his passing was very conservative. Very rarely does he offload the ball and run forward into threatening positions and make himself a good target for a pass. Darren Currie keeps giving Nicolas lessons in taking responsibility for our play.

He is certainly not a Premiership standard player, but I would like to see him play alongside Chippy and Oatway and see if he could improve in a better structured team. He has had better games than last night where he has shown good reactions and some positive passing, so I am hoping he will improve with confidence. His weak shot on the edge of the area last night just typified his lack of it at the moment.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
nicolas was class last night. never put a foot wrong in my opinion. the only player spreading the ball out wide and never lost it. very good player. we must sign him. what do people expect of a bloody defensive midfielder on here? hes not going to score hatricks or have weaving runs. he just keeps the ball moving and keeps the midfield steady and so far he has been douing that. its been the defences fault for us losing these matches and if we sign nicolas then we are very fortunate to have a player of his abilty in my opinion. face the facts peiople were not going to sign a vieira or zidane and nicolas is a great opportunith to bolster the midfield!

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
if we let him go just watch him go somewhere else and succed!

he's an inexperienced player coming into an inexperienced team at league 1 level let alone championship level and he's playing in midfield with a centre half/ full back who to be fair to hinch as hard as he's trying is never gonna be a midfielder.give alexis a chance and he'll come good

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Nicolas is a better option than any of our own midfielders. If you watch him play, whenever he gets the ball he has the confidence in his own ability to control a ball (something sadly lacking in too many of our team) to keep his head up and look for a pass to pick.

He rarely gives the ball away and is often looking to lay the ball off to get things moving. Last night he was often the one who started moves by getting the ball to Currie. More to the point, the ball was to Currie's feet so he didn;t have to worry about bringing a poor pass under control.

I hope we can keep him for the rest of the season and it will be interesting to see how Chippy plays with him. Chippy has always looked better when he has someone good next to him (Lewis, Rodger) rather than the hard working but limited Oatway (and this isn't an anti-Charlie rant!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here