Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chefs... What can I replace coconut milk with in a curry?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
If it's Thai

I wouldn't try and substitute the coconut milk with anything, because nothing else will work.

What I would do is make it more like a stir fried Thai dish.

So use exactly the same ingrediants but make a sauce by adding a little water, Oyster sauce and a generous slurp of Fish Sauce.

If it's Indian, simply don't add it.

Personally to make an Indian type "gravy", I would slowly fry equal quantities of tomato and onion, with some garlic and ginger in a little oil.

When really cooked through, liquidise it adding water ( or preferably some chicken stock made up from a cube).

This will make a nice sauce for a ruby.

On the curried fish front, I think the mistake they make in the curry houses is to simply substitute meat with fish. I was never sold on curried fish until I had some at an Indian wedding.

Basically, fish cooked in spicy batter which you dipped in a selection of sauces.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
condensed and evaperated milk
seems sweet to me but it s from the horses wouth

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Evaporated milk in a curry? You are f*cking joking. Evaporated milk is only good for bannoffi pie (a Sussex invention, of course) or being poured over a tin of fruit cocktail! Reminds me of my childhood that!

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Rice milk of course. Available in all good shops.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Evaporated milk in a curry? You are f*cking joking. Evaporated milk is only good for bannoffi pie (a Sussex invention, of course) or being poured over a tin of fruit cocktail! Reminds me of my childhood that!

well i was told by a thai ??
you probably know more ?

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
when you are in Thailand they used condensed milk, the thick blobby sort
of stuff. If you are in posh hotels you have coconut milk but the Thai's prefer the condensed stuff.

'sladegull

fat boy fat
Aug 11, 2007
'slade
If I over do the chilli I use low fat yougurt to calm it down but have also used low fat fromage frais when I ran out which worked well.....

macky

Dec 28, 2004
when you are in Thailand they used condensed milk, the thick blobby sort
of stuff. If you are in posh hotels you have coconut milk but the Thai's prefer the condensed stuff.

exactly people over here think they are eating thai when in fact its nowhere near it
i just had taro and red oinion for desert

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here