Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Cheese Footballs!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What the hell happened this year?

[MENTION=3734]Giraffe[/MENTION] and I have an informal competition to eat the most cheese footballs over the festive period, as well as having enough stocks to last well into the New Year.

This year neither of us have been able to track any down. Tesco Extra in Durrington just didn't have them at any stage.

(For certainty, I'm talking about FP cheese footballs, the wafer balls filled with soft cheese stuff, not the things that are a bit like Wotsits)

Did anyone get any?

Delighted to say that I'm stocked for this festive season - £1.50 per tub/caddy/whatever from Tesco in Durrington.

It very nearly went horribly wrong however. When I first spotted them I was so eager to troll [MENTION=3734]Giraffe[/MENTION] that after taking my photo to send him, I then forgot to put them in my trolley. I didn't realise this until I was home unpacking. Worse still, as I was doing self-scan, I paid for the ones I left on the shelf.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I love football.
I love cheese.

I really should be the target market for these. But nah, not for me.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I love football.
I love cheese.

Same here.

A couple of blokes at work are big fans and had been going on about them for so long, I was intrigued.
After such a build up I was significantly underwhelmed, when I had my first try.

My guess is that if it's something you grow up with then that masks what is actually quite a nasty tasting snack.
This may also be the case for nice and spicy niknaks, though that seems unlikely to me.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I love football.
I love cheese.

perhaps we could ask Waitrose to make some posh ones . . . Gianfrancos gorgonzola footballs, or Pogbas Port Salut, or something.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I love football.
I love cheese.

Well, it's barely cheese in fairness. Some sort of odd cheese flavoured condensed powder.

(Not that it stops me - I'll eat tons of them).

The Brighton Bear

Come on Kylie, get a grip
May 3, 2010
Rottingdean
My brother bought me three packs from Sainsbury's in Newhaven a couple of weeks ago. I soon downed one pack and foolishly believed that I would save the other two for nearer Christmas :laugh:

I do agree that it is a taste acquired from days long gone by but they are a legal drug for those of us addicted to them.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
**** that - I want these back

View attachment 116904

I used to love those. Savoured individually as a real treat.

I could buy a pack in Sackville Road if I saved my bus fare money by walking from St Andrews C of E back to Holmes Avenue... it was a toss up between a packet of Football Crazy or a sticky bun from the bakers...(c.1977)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here