Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cheeky Torquay

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
This situation seems so similar to the Reading thing...
Anyway I just saw this on their message board:

As for Leroy, well I don't see how you can start having a go at Mike Bateson for this one.
Leroy was happy to take the job and has clearly shown no loyalty to the fans, his players or chairman. Sorry but that is the sum total of it. Actually if he does go I think he will be making a big mistake. I reckon that Brighton are more or less on the maximum of their potential. He will be committed to working with number 2 Booker and unless Brighton win the league the only way is downwards. There is no guarantee that he will repeat the success that he has had at Torquay.

Maximum of our potential. Excuse me?

Found on a BBC site:
Torquay United have been raising a few eyebrows this season, and not just because they've got off to such an unexpectedly good start.

It's the manner of their performances which have been garnering praise from Gulls fans - and from opposing managers.

When Leroy Rosenior was appointed coach following the shock departure of Roy McFarland in the summer of 2002 he said he would be trying to change the style of play at Plainmoor.

David Graham has been in hot goalscoring form
United's young side will not always get it right, of course, but the signs are encouraging.

The slick passing and movement style has gone down a storm with supporters, and have led to United's high scoring rate.

Before the start of the 2002-3 season, United were labelled relegation candidates, so the way Rosenior has turned things around has surprised pundits.

Suddenly, strikers Tony Bedeau and leading scorer David Graham have found top form, and players like Jason Fowler and Lee Canoville have been a revelation in the early part of the season.

Rosenior knows there will be bad days, but he is determined his players stick to the passing game, not the long ball game which has been a feature at Plainmoor. "I think the players believe in what we're doing and I certainly do," he told Torquay's website.

"That's the way we play and that's how we're going to get results. Sometimes it isn't going to go right in games.

"I'm not worried about them making mistakes - not only do you learn, but I'll tell you what:if you get it right, you create."

He added: "We could go and get players from anywhere to go and pump the ball forward and chase after it.

"I believe this is the right way to play for these players and at the moment they're proving me right."

leroyistheman.jpg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Torquay United have been raising a few eyebrows this season, and not just because they've got off to such an unexpectedly good start.

It's the manner of their performances which have been garnering praise from Gulls fans - and from opposing managers.

When Leroy Rosenior was appointed coach following the shock departure of Roy McFarland in the summer of 2002 he said he would be trying to change the style of play at Plainmoor.

David Graham has been in hot goalscoring form
United's young side will not always get it right, of course, but the signs are encouraging.

The slick passing and movement style has gone down a storm with supporters, and have led to United's high scoring rate.

Before the start of the 2002-3 season, United were labelled relegation candidates, so the way Rosenior has turned things around has surprised pundits.

Suddenly, strikers Tony Bedeau and leading scorer David Graham have found top form, and players like Jason Fowler and Lee Canoville have been a revelation in the early part of the season.

Rosenior knows there will be bad days, but he is determined his players stick to the passing game, not the long ball game which has been a feature at Plainmoor. "I think the players believe in what we're doing and I certainly do," he told Torquay's website.

"That's the way we play and that's how we're going to get results. Sometimes it isn't going to go right in games.

"I'm not worried about them making mistakes - not only do you learn, but I'll tell you what:if you get it right, you create."

He added: "We could go and get players from anywhere to go and pump the ball forward and chase after it.

"I believe this is the right way to play for these players and at the moment they're proving me right."

leroyistheman.jpg
[/B]

After the tactics of Booker and the clueless way the team have played in the last three games, Leroy sounds like just what we need.

We're not good enough to stay in Div 1 even if we get promoted, so let's have a manager who will get us playing the football Brighton used to play. At least we can enjoy the football and be around the top half of the table, even if don't go up. A good attacking 5-4 defeat could not leave me as depressed as I've been after the last three games.

Take a chance on Rosenior DK

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Leroy is still unproven, just because he did well with Torquay doesn't mean he'll achieve anything with us. McGhee or Dowie are still better options.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Hmm. What exactly has Iain Dowie achieved? He was given a decent budget (that nearly sent them to the wall) and got his side to a division 2 playoff spot.

Big deal.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
perth seagull said:
Leroy is still unproven, just because he did well with Torquay doesn't mean he'll achieve anything with us. McGhee or Dowie are still better options.

Worth a risk because he knows how the game should be played. I'm bored with defensive managers and untilFaler we're goiing nowhere. Let's at least be entertained, something even Coppell couldn't manage

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here