Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Cheeky feckers at sky

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
£146 - all channels, broadband ‘pro’ (extra speed needed for work VPN) and telephone package plus 3 HD boxes

Up for renewal again soon, Virgin have gone live locally so will be looking at either switching or getting Sky to compete

I’ve just left Virgin for Sky because of their BB!! I work from home, and yeah quite often the speed was 200mb, but the amount of times it was off or temporary outage was just ridiculous, got to the point of being everyday several times a day. I’m not talking WiFi, I had their router in modem and used a cabled network.

Definitely threaten Sky with leaving for Virgin, but I’d do your research before thinking their some kind of 200mb+ BB utopia.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
My contract with Sky is up within the next month. Called them at the weekend and the best deal they could offer was £65 a month for their full TV package inc sport, HD, cinema etc. I’ve cancelled and waiting to see how much of a better deal they eventually put on the table before the notice period ends. With Netflix and Prime plus no football for the foreseeable I’m relaxed about dropping down to their basic package.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’ve just left Virgin for Sky because of their BB!! I work from home, and yeah quite often the speed was 200mb, but the amount of times it was off or temporary outage was just ridiculous, got to the point of being everyday several times a day. I’m not talking WiFi, I had their router in modem and used a cabled network.

Definitely threaten Sky with leaving for Virgin, but I’d do your research before thinking their some kind of 200mb+ BB utopia.

Thanks.....I've already used the threat once (about a year ago when Virgin went live) and in part didn't move because of all the negative feedback I'd heard re the Sky service. Post that, I locked into a new 18 month Sky contract so that will be up quite soon. Even with Sky BB Pro I can only get about 80mb here because we have copper wire from the exchange to the house (a few hundred yards) but that speed is perfectly OK to be honest - no problems with VC etc (my PC and work PC are cabled to the router). The Sky service - TV, BB and phone - has been excellent (including when anything goes wrong - which is rarely) so I'd be quite reluctant to move (apart from the faff of doing it anyway). I've also heard a fair amount about the Virgin TV setup not being anywhere near as good too.

Mannakin

Jun 24, 2013
Hove (actually!)

I've probably been with Virgin for broadband for around 15 years in 3 different properties/area of Brighton & Hove. Their broadband has been super reliable for me in all three properties, I use it with multiple devices and work VPN. So there IS a 200mb+ utopia, for some of us at least!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've probably been with Virgin for broadband for around 15 years in 3 different properties/area of Brighton & Hove. Their broadband has been super reliable for me in all three properties, I use it with multiple devices and work VPN. So there IS a 200mb+ utopia, for some of us at least!

I’m sure it does otherwise they wouldn’t have any customers. I am using it 12 hours a day so the outages I experience, some people may not even notice because they’re out at work or whatever. Only time will tell if Sky BB is any better, or I might be begging to go back!

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
I cancelled all sky completely last year, they keep mailing me trying to get me back. Been offered Movies, Entertainment and Sports for £34 a month... I've resisted so far....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I cancelled all sky completely last year, they keep mailing me trying to get me back. Been offered Movies, Entertainment and Sports for £34 a month... I've resisted so far....

Now that's the kind of figure I was expecting and am sure Idris had tried to sell me, having a 1 in front is still rather :mad:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
My bill was around £131 with Sky then I clocked I was also paying £42 a month for BT Sport. Rang up sky a couple of weeks back and told them it was too much. Managed to get them down to £95 a month with BT Sport included.

So in for another 18 months.....now there is no sport!!!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Suggestion that Sky Sports will pause billing on Sports subscription package. Emails out later today

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
My cousin recently moved to Oz, he watches all the PL and CL matches live for £7 quid a month. We get completely screwed over and can't even watch 3pm matches.

30 years and never paid for Sky and never will

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Blimey - I have the same but without multiroom - £79 (although I am tied in though for 18 months)

Ha Ha that's exactly the same as I have for same price £79.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Cancelled my sports pack yesterday, must say they were helpful and no hard sell, but pisses me off they state any sky sports in my planner will disappear, I have fooking paid for that

My sky sports pack costs me £18 a month. About 60p a day.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Just spent 59 minutes on the phone with them. I have the full TV package with HD, multi room, box sets and all the channels, but not on Sky Q, still the old boxes.
Paying £100 month but went up recently from £66 (this was an 18 month deal I negotiated). Tried to get it down but lowest they offered was £89 so cancelled. Well I would if, after 59 minutes my phone died. On their online messaging service which is also slow.
HOT NEWS
The second assistant did mention they are having meetings about refunds for sports viewers. Watch your emails over the next few days.

Out of interest and as a target price, how much do fellow NSC's pay?

Whole lot with sky q, broadband 79 mb, phone, sky sports, all sky channels, movies, all box sets 4 devices to use on £79 per month for 18 months. I could add bt sports for another £21 making £90.

Oh yes then i get sky mobile for £6 a month. unlimited calls, unlimited texts 1 gig data. But you can watch all sky things data free as i'm a sky customer. So i sit in my car at work watching sky sports.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
For Virgin customers..................

They will suspend charging for the Sports package for 3 months if you contact them.

If you want to remove the sports package they are still insisting that you have to give them a month's notice!!

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I'm flabbergasted that people need to pay these amounts to watch TV. We have Freeview in our house with loads of channels and i don't think we pay anything for it. What the heck do people need to pay 140 quid to watch tv for.

I'm so wowed by this actually i just text the missus to tell her i just heard of someone paying £139 a month to watch tv and she doesn't believe me :lol:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm flabbergasted that people need to pay these amounts to watch TV. We have Freeview in our house with loads of channels and i don't think we pay anything for it. What the heck do people need to pay 140 quid to watch tv for.

I'm so wowed by this actually i just text the missus to tell her i just heard of someone paying £139 a month to watch tv and she doesn't believe me :lol:

Do you pay separately for BB and telephone?

I kind of have to keep a landline for work (although might question whether I really need to with unlimited calls on the mobile so cheap now), and Broadband. So I get BB, all calls telephone, and Sky Q basic package with Netflix for £45. I was paying £8.99 for Netflix separately so that means really my Sky package is £36. I couldn't really find a BB and telephone deal for £36 to be honest. :shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Careful you'll get called a name!

Clicking on this thread brings up a box advert 'Sky Ultimate TV for just £25 a month'.

Obviously nobody is naive enough to think there isn't a poohload of small print attached to that.
But £1,200 a year is an amazing amount of small print.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here