Ched Evans

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He was never allowed to return to the States was he, or make films in any country that might extradite him.

Wasn't that purely because there was an outstanding sentencing hearing when he fled the country? In other words, he hadn't served any of his sentence for any of his crimes. It wasn't part of any international film makers code that stopped him. I wonder how many people who signed the Evans petition wouldn't think twice about going to see films like Frantic or Tess? Of course, it might have been a lot different had the WWW been around then!

Aug 23, 2011
Wasn't that purely because there was an outstanding sentencing hearing when he fled the country? In other words, he hadn't served any of his sentence for any of his crimes. It wasn't part of any international film makers code that stopped him. I wonder how many people who signed the Evans petition wouldn't think twice about going to see films like Frantic or Tess? Of course, it might have been a lot different had the WWW been around then!

Actually he served half his original sentence but fled when it turned out the judge was trying to change the terms that they'd agreed on or something. Apparently a judge recently said that he would have to be let free due to the conduct of the original judge and the girl involved said her life had been way more damaged by the judge trying to make a name for himself than Polanski himself

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that more and more of the media are coming out in favour of him returning to play football that it is inevitable a club will take the bull by the horns and sign him. Just a matter of which club.

The other side of the coin is he was £3m rated player so if a club signed him for 18 months and he reproduced his form they could sell him in the summer to recoup any losses from lost sponsorship.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Actually he served half his original sentence but fled when it turned out the judge was trying to change the terms that they'd agreed on or something. Apparently a judge recently said that he would have to be let free due to the conduct of the original judge and the girl involved said her life had been way more damaged by the judge trying to make a name for himself than Polanski himself

Looking further I think you're right. He was expecting to be put on probation but the rumour was the judge was going to give him more jail time.

Aug 23, 2011
I think that more and more of the media are coming out in favour of him returning to play football that it is inevitable a club will take the bull by the horns and sign him. Just a matter of which club.

The other side of the coin is he was £3m rated player so if a club signed him for 18 months and he reproduced his form they could sell him in the summer to recoup any losses from lost sponsorship.

the key word being WAS a £3m rated player. He hasn't played for 3 years so what condition is he in physically (and possibly mentally)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think that more and more of the media are coming out in favour of him returning to play football
What have you read (genuine question, I'm not doubting you)?

Aug 23, 2011
What's this about Star Wars making a loss?

Its Return of the Jedi that hasn't ever made profit. Hollywood accounting is supposedly quite sketchy (although legal). If a film makes a loss you don't have to pay profit dividends and so they make each film make a loss on paper by forming separate companies and one company charging the other for costs. So although the money is made it goes into a different pot.

If you want to know more, try here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_accounting

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings

I sometimes wonder where you get your information from, as far as I am aware that most clubs will not touch him and it is unlikely he will get a job offer until after the outcome of his review. No club wants the circus that has happened since he has come out of prison.

Virtually every paper, especially the red tops have had articles in them saying he should be allowed to play again.

He is allowed to play again, there is nothing legal whatsoever stopping him from playing Professional Football.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
From whatever I have read, from whatever opinion I have heard. It is obvious Ched Evans will never play football in this country again unless a club take a punt, the media (including mob social) can't be arsed about him, something worse takes the limelight (or after his judicial restrictions are eventually lifted and he plays abroad), or he wins a new appeal. So something has changed here. Our courts are no longer the last voice in punishment. A new era dawns, or has indeed spawned, over time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports