Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ched Evans

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That's all good, but my post was specifically referencing your words 'So the objectors are against rape but only in certain cases.', which, as I say, really cannot be claimed in all seriousness.

Oh, so the director at Oldham's daughter was just being pranked by people who were only jokingly threatening her then ? I see, my mistake.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
In the vast majority of murder cases, pre-meditation or intent is involved. In a very few situations, it isn't. And 'spontaneous murder' as you call it would normally be manslaughter.

Pre-meditated murder sounds like an American term to me, where it is different.
You've got your countries mixed up. In many states in the US, a killing has to be pre-meditated for it to be murder. Not here:

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/h_to_k/homicide_murder_and_manslaughter/

theyellowdinosaur

Nov 29, 2011
I suggest you ask the mods to remove this post. Lee Hughes was found guilty of causing death by dangerous driving (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Hughes) and therefore is not, as you have stated, rather libelously, "a murderer", unless of course you have knowledge of another crime you are alleging he has committed that isn't in the public domain!

Fair enough, I thought he was found guilty of murder, obviously not though.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Will any other club dip their feet in the water and try to sign him. I would think if so just do it and tell nobody till it is signed, sealed and done. Do not allow any rumours to come out. Not that we should sign him but I dont think TB or PB would tell anybody until it was a done deal with no going back.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Oh, so the director at Oldham's daughter was just being pranked by people who were only jokingly threatening her then ? I see, my mistake.
You keep missing my point entirely which was that you cannot say that those who oppose Ched Evans' signing at Oldham, approve of someone else being raped. It simply is not true.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Will any other club dip their feet in the water and try to sign him. I would think if so just do it and tell nobody till it is signed, sealed and done. Do not allow any rumours to come out. Not that we should sign him but I dont think TB or PB would tell anybody until it was a done deal with no going back.

Luckily our board either Tony or Paul have stated that they wouldn't sign a convicted sex offender when the question was put to them at a forum. I can't give a source but I remember reading it on here from a transcript thread.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've said similar before in this thread, but right now, the best thing I think Evans could do is get a job and sign for his local county team or similar. If he loves football, just get out there and play. Go sign for a Gloucestershire County Div 2 side or whatever. Get your boots on and play football. They'd actually benefit from the publicity and the attention most likely, and perversely a bigger gate probably. Grass roots actually benefitting from this awful mess. Meanwhile, Evans, who I believe did painting and decorating in prison could get a job doing that or similar. I think he'd very quickly find public opinion reaching the point of seeing him being rehabilitated back into the professional game, maybe even as soon as the summer or by next January. This isn't a punishment, because clearly thousands of ordinary footballers do this every single week - it's what getting on with life is, not just sat at home believing your entitled to only play professional football.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Indeed whoever wants him just get the player signed, then claim he is injured for a few week, and wait for the storm to die down.

SAC

May 21, 2014

Whichever club decides to employ him, assuming one does, they will need to run it past their sponsors first. Clubs seems to have a huge number of different sponsors so eventually it will be leaked out.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I've said similar before in this thread, but right now, the best thing I think Evans could do is get a job and sign for his local county team or similar. If he loves football, just get out there and play. Go sign for a Gloucestershire County Div 2 side or whatever. Get your boots on and play football. They'd actually benefit from the publicity and the attention most likely, and perversely a bigger gate probably. Grass roots actually benefitting from this awful mess. Meanwhile, Evans, who I believe did painting and decorating in prison could get a job doing that or similar. I think he'd very quickly find public opinion reaching the point of seeing him being rehabilitated back into the professional game, maybe even as soon as the summer or by next January. This isn't a punishment, because clearly thousands of ordinary footballers do this every single week - it's what getting on with life is, not just sat at home believing your entitled to only play professional football.

Im not sure that would work. If he was playing for a professional team he'd be protected by the club. If he played for a local team thered be no protection from any form of abuse. The guy is marked.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

What a great plan.

Then sit back and watch your balance sheet as 50% of your revenue disappears overnight as your sponsors quit, your match day hospitality and match ball sponsors all cancel, and half your fan base turn on you.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If he isn't going to be working anyway (and it looks like he isn't) wouldn't he better off just doing some voluntary work?

Not sure what would be most appropriate, maybe some physical trainer work with former offenders or something. Maybe as a sex offender he isn't even allowed to do that, not exactly sure, but there must be something better than sitting around doing nothing in between the occasional comeback fiasco.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Im not sure that would work. If he was playing for a professional team he'd be protected by the club. If he played for a local team thered be no protection from any form of abuse. The guy is marked.

He'd be all right. Crikey, I played football in the Portsmouth Dockyard League, not sure how many players in that didn't have a conviction for something!

County teams still have to have a perimeter fence, and be properly officiated and stewarded.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You keep missing my point entirely which was that you cannot say that those who oppose Ched Evans' signing at Oldham, approve of someone else being raped. It simply is not true.

Oh dear, you seem to have a similar problem. Someone, who does not approve of Evans being employed at Oldham, informed a director " We know where your daughter lives and she will be raped if a deal went ahead " Well, that seems to suggest someone who opposes the Evans deal. Could it someone lobbying on behalf of Evans getting a deal there doing this ? I think not. It's an interesting stance the person has then to disapprove of rape but use a precise threat of it in order to get their own way.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

I actually agree with you here BG. If a club really wants him, they need to present it as a fait accompli and hang the consequences. Oldham have totally ****ed themselves over on this one. They've made themselves look cynical and desperate, lost sponsors and didn't even get the player.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Whichever club decides to employ him, assuming one does, they will need to run it past their sponsors first. Clubs seems to have a huge number of different sponsors so eventually it will be leaked out.

What a great plan.

Then sit back and watch your balance sheet as 50% of your revenue disappears overnight as your sponsors quit, your match day hospitality and match ball sponsors all cancel, and half your fan base turn on you.

Why do they have to tell the sponsors they dont run the club or are you saying TB has to run everydecision through American Express. The sponsors use the club for their advertising and have no control over how the sponsorship money is spent. If they dont wish to continue being associated with the club so be it. That is the clubs problem.

2nd point his father in law offered to cover the reveue short fall.

I am sure a conference side could afford to take the chance.

Last edited:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Why do they have to tell the sponsors they dont run the club or are you saying TB has to run dverydecision through American Express.

They don't HAVE to tell their sponsors, but it would make business sense to know in advance how such a controversial move would be received by them.

Or they could just do it, and be 'surprised' when sponsors pull out in response.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why do they have to tell the sponsors they dont run the club or are you saying TB has to run dverydecision through American Express.
Well obviously they don't have to tell them, but they will find out, and there's a high chance they'll then withdraw sponsorship, costing the club a lot of money, so it's a pretty daft idea to go ahead regardless.

Hopefully those that have made threats will be caught, and the next time he's rumoured to join a club, they'll be able to make a decision without being threatened.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Why do they have to tell the sponsors they dont run the club or are you saying TB has to run everydecision through American Express. The sponsors use the club for their advertising and have no control over how the sponsorship money is spent. If they dont wish to continue being associated with the club so be it. That is the clubs problem.

If there was a decision to be made that might upset our main sponsor, are you saying you don't think TB would run it past them first?

And why have I got a thumbs down for the Portsmouth Dockyard League post, you got something against amateur football too!?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here