Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ched Evans

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well maybe reading that he was wrong to be allowed to play again. Had this happened today and the way the internet and media works now, he may have had the same problems or even bigger ones than Ched.

Do you think it was right for Hughes to have ever played football again?

That's my whole point. The media and internet have exaggerated it a lot more than other convicted criminals. I'm not saying it's right, but there does seem to be a bandwagon everyone is jumping on.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well maybe reading that he was wrong to be allowed to play again. Had this happened today and the way the internet and media works now, he may have had the same problems or even bigger ones than Ched.
Indeed. Some of the discussion about this case brings up other cases, like Dirty Den - would a convicted murderer now be able to work on Eastenders? And is it right that the decision is made by the public, rather than the law?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Who here is defending him, and what have they said?
So what if he got a job working on a building site - should those employees refuse to work with him too?

Personally I'm morally torn about his possible return. On the one hand I don't think a convicted rapist deserves such a privileged career (but maybe that's partly jealousy), and on the other hand I certainly think that ex-convicts should be able to work again, and since the law (rightly or wrongly) is that he can work in football, I don't feel easy about mob rule preventing someone from doing so.

Don't know to be honest, can't see builders being any different than anyone else - if they knew, some would, some wouldn't I suspect. I share your thoughts - got to be some form of rehabilitation at some point.....but this is probably too high profile and too soon, and he hasn't help himself

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Feel sorry for the Oldham fans. Know how I would feel desperate for my team to win, but feeling sickened by the prospect of celebrating an Albion goal scored by a rapist.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
That's my whole point. The media and internet have exaggerated it a lot more than other convicted criminals. I'm not saying it's right, but there does seem to be a bandwagon everyone is jumping on.

But that's exactly the point of the other side. Just because other people got away with it in the past doesn't make Evans behaviour any less reprehensible. The Hughes, McCormack, King argument is a complete irrelvance, it's like a child screaming "It's not fair..."

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

I wouldn’t say exaggerated, just that the information is more accessible and interactive. Out of interest was there a Hughes thread on NSC at the time?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But that's exactly the point of the other side. Just because other people got away with it in the past doesn't make Evans behaviour any less reprehensible. The Hughes, McCormack, King argument is a complete irrelvance
The past cases simply highlight that things are being treated differently now, and raise the question as to whether that's right or wrong. Put simply, is it right for public opinion to be the deciding factor in what profession ex-convicts are allowed to have?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The past cases simply highlight that things are being treated differently now, and raise the question as to whether that's right or wrong. Put simply, is it right for public opinion to be the deciding factor in what profession ex-convicts are allowed to have?

I said it way back on this thread the FA needs to have policy in this area, like the NFL does. It's no good them covering their ears and closing their eyes.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Indeed. Some of the discussion about this case brings up other cases, like Dirty Den - would a convicted murderer now be able to work on Eastenders? And is it right that the decision is made by the public, rather than the law?

I am not too sure if the BBC knew of his conviction when they took him on, but I remember it came to light later on in his Eastenders career. I am not too sure if a murderer would get the same employment today. John Lesley hasn't made a comeback yet.

Put simply, in any other profession be it a builder or accountant, the company that employs the ex-convict is probably not expecting their customers, who will range from Pensioners to Children, to turn up and clap and cheer their staff.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I said it way back on this thread the FA needs to have policy in this area, like the NFL does. It's no good them covering their ears and closing their eyes.

Me too. Triggaaar even replied and agreed with me on that very post where I said the FA/PFA needs to review it's Code of Conduct so that it has a set policy outlining the exclusion of players following serious offences or breaches of behaviour as set out in the code. They are responsible for the reputation of the game. They should look at other professional codes like the RIBA, RICS, Law Society, GMC etc. and realise that as well as protecting its members they should have policies in place to protect the reputation of the game.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Put simply, in any other profession be it a builder or accountant, the company that employs the ex-convict is probably not expecting their customers, who will range from Pensioners to Children, to turn up and clap and cheer their staff.
Yes, I understand that, and I can see why it could be good for the FA to have rules regarding the employment of ex-convicts. But they don't, and so we're left with the public trying to make a decision, which is dangerous.

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
Yes, I understand that, and I can see why it could be good for the FA to have rules regarding the employment of ex-convicts. But they don't, and so we're left with the public trying to make a decision, which is dangerous.

Yes they should - It may be difficult to do anything meaningful which is legal. I'm not sure they will be allowed to say he is not allowed to work having served his sentence for example.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So you are sticking by your original suggestion that it would have been a good idea for the FA to pay for a unrepentant, convicted, rapist to play football?

No to reimburse the club,who are one of their members., for the loss of revenue if sponsors pulled out for whatever reason. They have a duty to protect their members and if they considered the club at fault invoke what ever rules apply.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here