Ched Evans

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I'm assuming that there is no Blackpool ST holders against him signing for someone? Seeing as their chairman was convicted and jailed for rape too.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If Oldham go ahead with this I think they are making a colossal mistake. Interested to see how the father in law will cover sponsorship 'shortfalls'. My guess is they will have no sponsors at all within hours of him signing, and won't get any new ones for a long time. Also think a lot of fans will stay away, and that there will be further trouble - possibly including team 'mates' refusing to play with him etc.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Sorry had to come back here as I notice his father in law is doing exactly what I said the FA should have done to bring this to an end.

If you believe that this action will 'bring this to an end' I would suggest that you have a look at Oldham's forum:

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php/topic/46522-the-boycott-of-home-matches/

Far from bringing things to an end, this has already forced some lifelong supporters to take the decision to stop watching their team and others to start arguing with campaigners on Twitter. I would guess that there is potential for trouble on the terraces between those who support the decision and those who still want to watch their team, but say they will barrack him when he plays. The selfish actions of Evans and his supporters, with the collusion of greedy board, may tear apart a football club.

I feel desparately sorry for the Oldham fans who have not asked for this divisive circus to come to their club. Many of them feel that they are being forced to decide between their club and their personal perceptions of their duty to their families. Its a horrible place to be.

Last edited:

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
If Oldham go ahead with this I think they are making a colossal mistake. Interested to see how the father in law will cover sponsorship 'shortfalls'. My guess is they will have no sponsors at all within hours of him signing, and won't get any new ones for a long time. Also think a lot of fans will stay away, and that there will be further trouble - possibly including team 'mates' refusing to play with him etc.

Their main shirt sponsor has confirmed they will still be that if Evans signs. A part of me actually wants him to sign as then we can actually see what would happen.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Their main shirt sponsor has confirmed they will still be that if Evans signs. A part of me actually wants him to sign as then we can actually see what would happen.

Agreed....will be fascinating to watch.......sponsors currently saying they'll stay may revise their options. Who knows. Big gamble though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If you believe that this action will 'bring this to an end' I would suggest that you have a look at Oldham's forum:

Far from bringing things to an end, this has already forced some lifelong supporters to take the decision to stop watching their team and others to start arguing with campaigners on Twitter. I would guess that there is potential for trouble on the terraces between those who support the decision and those who still want to watch their team, but say they will barrack him when he plays. The selfish actions of Evans and his supporters, with the collusion of greedy board, may tear apart a football club.

I feel desparately sorry for the Oldham fans who have not asked for this divisive circus to come to their club. Many of them feel that they are being forced to decide between their club and their personal perceptions of their duty to their families. Its a horrible place to be.

Own fans barracking will be nothing compared to away fans..........

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

I agree. Ben's Grandad - you talk some utter drivel you really do. To say that this will bring an end to the situation is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. I would go as far as to say that this might sound the league status "death knell" for
Oldham and they only have themselves to blame.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Really? I find that most odd. I'm sure there are many footballers who have done things that I'd find morally repugnant, just as with some of the things some NSC users have got up to. But to me, there is a huge difference between being a general scumbag and being a rapist.

He is not a general scumbag, he is a dirty scumbag.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Sorry had to come back here as I notice his father in law is doing exactly what I said the FA should have done to bring this to an end, he has gauranteed to make up any shortfall from sponsors.

Lee Johnstone the manager was reported to be against him signing so will he resign from his post or just not pick him for tbe team.

I don't think it was the idea of someone paying a shortfall that was the issue with your original idea. It was more that it should be the FA picking up that bill when it could be spent on pitches for kids to play football on, for instance.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not saying it will be the end just the end of outside influences on the club they can now make a decision based on their own thoughts without petitions and other side issues. If they make the decision and it back fires it is now their problem and their decision entirely.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Finding the continued defence of this scumbag rapist on here quite revolting.
Who here is defending him, and what have they said?
there will be further trouble - possibly including team 'mates' refusing to play with him etc.
So what if he got a job working on a building site - should those employees refuse to work with him too?

Personally I'm morally torn about his possible return. On the one hand I don't think a convicted rapist deserves such a privileged career (but maybe that's partly jealousy), and on the other hand I certainly think that ex-convicts should be able to work again, and since the law (rightly or wrongly) is that he can work in football, I don't feel easy about mob rule preventing someone from doing so.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I imagine that Oldham are gambling that by the time of his first match, which presumably wont be soon, the fuss will have died down and that the fickle football fans will forgive anyone who scores a few goals. It's quite a gamble.

I can't see him being on anything close to £2.5k a week, more like £400 a week plus appearance fees and bonuses.

Haha I have family memebers who earn more than that playing Semi Pro football. He will be on at least £1,500 a week.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I don't think it was the idea of someone paying a shortfall that was the issue with your original idea. It was more that it should be the FA picking up that bill when it could be spent on pitches for kids to play football on, for instance.

Not at all, the reason given were sponsors pulling out = cash shortage, some thing the FA do not suffer with. My suggestion was to enable the ball to be in Oldhams court not petitions and total outsider with no affiliation whatsoever to the club.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Not at all, the reason given were sponsors pulling out = cash shortage, some thing the FA do not suffer with. My suggestion was to enable the ball to be in Oldhams court not petitions and total outsider with no affiliation whatsoever to the club.

So you are sticking by your original suggestion that it would have been a good idea for the FA to pay for a unrepentant, convicted, rapist to play football?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports