Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ched Evans

SAC

May 21, 2014
I imagine that Oldham are gambling that by the time of his first match, which presumably wont be soon, the fuss will have died down and that the fickle football fans will forgive anyone who scores a few goals. It's quite a gamble.

I can't see him being on anything close to £2.5k a week, more like £400 a week plus appearance fees and bonuses.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Stupid & dodgy as hell. Apparently his girlfriend's father has 'connections' to the chairman & has offered to make up any losses
How does that make it dodgy? He's allowed to work, and one of the main reasons he might not of got work is if the club got less money from sponsors etc, so someone making up for the shortfall isn't dodgy.

Apparently he'll be offered £2.5k a week. Ridiculous!
Blimey, that is ridiculous. I thought the idea was that Oxford were looking for a cut price discount. Firstly, no other club was going to offer him a deal, so you'd think he'd take what he could get, and secondly, is he even going to be any good? It's going to be difficult for him to perform his best with everything else that's been happening in his life.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Peversely, I imagine Oldham will shift a number of match tickets purely based on the 'Ched Evans' factor, people wanting to see the roadshow/car crash in the flesh.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I think it is slightly different though. Lee Hughes didn't intentionally go out to kill anyone. I am not making light of the incident as that was a tragedy.

Agreed. And IIRC, Hughes also apologised and showed remorse for his crimes. He didn't go strutting about bleating about how innocent he was.

The RAPIST Ched Evans should have stayed banged up to serve his full term unless or until he showed remorse for his crime. I thought that was how you got early release; admitting the crime and showing remorse.

Oldham & Evans have it coming...and it will be totally deserved

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Agreed. And IIRC, Hughes also apologised and showed remorse for his crimes. He didn't go strutting about bleating about how innocent he was.
We know for a fact that Hughes wasn't innocent, so of course he showed remorse. It's easy to show remorse for an accident. We do not know for a fact that Ched committed the crime.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
We know for a fact that Hughes wasn't innocent, so of course he showed remorse. It's easy to show remorse for an accident. We do not know for a fact that Ched committed the crime.

It is not just down to whether she did or didn’t consent. The way he behaved before and after is a question to his moral character. That is something we can all judge and you cannot wipe the event clean. I would have the same view of him with or without the conviction. This could affect Oldham on and off the pitch in many ways.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Oldham withdrawn their offer apparently. As I said previously I think the FA should take control and if they say yes he can play back the club that takes him by saying whatever you lose through sponsors pulling out we will cover that loss for this season as it is will be a div 1 or 2 club and that money wont be astronomical. If they decide no then refuse to register him end of story no problem.
Wait, so if a club loses money through sposnsors pulling out because they have signed someone who has committed a crime that most people find repellent then the FA should make it up the shortfall? Have you got some sort of random idea generator on your PC or do you actually sit down and think these through? Absolute nonsense.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Ched Evans: Oldham Athletic sponsors told deal is close

Oldham's club sponsors are being told by senior sources at the club that a deal with Ched Evans has been agreed, and that they should prepare for an announcement confirming his signing on Thursday or Friday, the BBC has learnt.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sorry had to come back here as I notice his father in law is doing exactly what I said the FA should have done to bring this to an end, he has gauranteed to make up any shortfall from sponsors.

Lee Johnstone the manager was reported to be against him signing so will he resign from his post or just not pick him for tbe team.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I would have the same view of him with or without the conviction.
Really? I find that most odd. I'm sure there are many footballers who have done things that I'd find morally repugnant, just as with some of the things some NSC users have got up to. But to me, there is a huge difference between being a general scumbag and being a rapist.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sorry had to come back here as I notice his father in law is doing exactly what I said the FA should have done to bring this to an end, he has gauranteed to make up any shortfall from sponsors.
A convicted rapist being backed by his family is very different to the same being backed by the FA. There's really no comparison. What is your point, are you trying to say you were right?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A convicted rapist being backed by his family is very different to the same being backed by the FA. There's really no comparison. What is your point, are you trying to say you were right?

Not at all just an obvious solution as the sponsors had the whip hand, power has now shifted back to the club to do what they consider to be correct, either way, as it should be.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Getting into a car drunk is tantamount to having a loaded weapon.

We could say that sneaking into a hotel room to have sex with a drunk teenager after your mate has had a go is tantamount to rape.

But lets not get into this, they are different crimes, one is about stupidity and the other is about a calculated instant sexual gratification.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Finding the continued defence of this scumbag rapist on here quite revolting. It reflects poorly on football that it allows convicted rapists to rejoin its ranks, unlike many other professions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here