Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ched Evans

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
As I said previously I think the FA should take control and if they say yes he can play back the club that takes him by saying whatever you lose through sponsors pulling out we will cover that loss for this season as it is will be a div 1 or 2 club and that money wont be astronomical.

Genuinely one of the stupidest ideas I have ever read.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Having commented on this thread previously I will not be entering into any argument about the employability of Ched Evans.

I just have one question.

If you were employing people (for whatever role) would you demand or want a CRB/DBS automatically?

This could be for any reason, self protection for legal reasons, protecting the companies reputation etc., personal outlook, social media opinion, simple data mining or just control.

Would you say yes, in all probability I would want that check regardless of the reasons?

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
This has been addressed many times in this thread.

It isn't just about whether she was aware enough to consent, it's also about whether it was reasonable for each of them to assume consent.

To a point, drunken consent is still consent. To a point. The jury had to decide if it was reasonable for the accused to assume the consent was the right side of that line

One of them met a drunk women in town and she got in a taxi and went back to a hotel room alone with him. Quite common circumstances up and down the country. So it would be difficult to unanimously say it was unreasonable for him to assume the consent she was given was coming from a place of complete awareness.

The other lied to a porter to get access to someone else's room (yes, it was in his name, but it wasn't 'his room') to sneak uninvited into a room where his friend was having sex, then when the friend stopped having sex with her, he started. This is not a common circumstance, this isn't how a lot of women get themselves a man.

That is how they came to different decisions. It wasn't simply 'was she too drunk to consent?'. Different circumstances creating different reasonable expectations of consent.

Fair enough but it is a very long thread which I have no intention of reading in full so thanks for answering.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Having commented on this thread previously I will not be entering into any argument about the employability of Ched Evans.

I just have one question.

If you were employing people (for whatever role) would you demand or want a CRB/DBS automatically?

This could be for any reason, self protection for legal reasons, protecting the companies reputation etc., personal outlook, social media opinion, simple data mining or just control.

Would you say yes, in all probability I would want that check regardless of the reasons?

CRB checks have been replaced by DBS checks, and you can't just ask for them for anything. They are now deemed to be necessary for very specific activities - such as washing and dressing people, or helping people sort out their finances. Playing football would not be one of them. And applying for one when it is not needed could lead to prosecution.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
of course i have but you don't get large payouts. In the case of rape, to get more than 10k you have to receive severe physical and mental trauma so that isn't exactly winning big.

What about a civil action though?

i thought you said there were Facebook messages? if they were private messages they would have to be deleted by both parties, the sender and receiver.

Sorry, they were posts apparently, not messages.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
As it stands he is a rapist.

I would be very surprised if even a third of people would want a rapist playing for their club.

If he eventually exonorated, of course, then he can play for qwhatever team wants him. That is a moot point at the moment though.

Out of interest, why make reference to a third of people? I would suspect that most people would not want a rapist at their club!

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I'm mildly embarrassed to use a quote from Mail and Martin Samuel in particular but, while I don't agree with quite a chunk of what he says, there is a message that repeats what I said earlier, that if we're not careful Evans does become the victim. Rightly or wrongly, that is the way people are starting to think. I still believe that it's best for all if he is just left to get on with it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...RTIN-SAMUEL-Ched-Evans-victim-mobs-going.html

And some interesting points from the Guardian's Marina Hyde, I particularly liked her points on 'Clicktivism' and the idea that we fight easy battles with an online petition and twitter rather than challenging the big picture.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/jan/06/ched-evans-law-marina-hyde

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
That’s either a brave or stupid decision by Oldham. Will be interesting how this plays out with sponsorship, in the opposition terraces, and how he celebrates when he scores. Could be riots and protests at every game.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
That’s either a brave or stupid decision by Oldham. Will be interesting how this plays out with sponsorship, in the opposition terraces, and how he celebrates when he scores. Could be riots and protests at every game.

Stupid & dodgy as hell. Apparently his girlfriend's father has 'connections' to the chairman & has offered to make up any losses

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

I hope they are prepared. They are going to get absolutely hammered from all angles.

Imagine being an Oldham fan....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here