Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ched Evans

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Neither the FA nor Fifa can ban someone who has served their time.
And bloody right too.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Of all the clubs in the FL, I believe that we are the most inclusive of all... Children-Friendly, Gay-Friendly, Female-Friendly, etc ad infinitum for any section of our local society.

I have read his supporters' website and read bits and pieces on his trial and appeal in the mainstream press, but I will be persuaded by the evidence presented so far in court and presume, as they did, that he was guilty.

There is a Rehabilitation of Offenders Act and at some future date, he has the right to have his past mistakes forgotten - this is good and right. But not yet.

This club would do irreparable harm to its reputation to take him on (as would most other clubs). Some have no such reputation to tarnish and so I'm sure he will play somewhere but I wish it wasn't the case.

Good post but for the bit outlined in bold, this act is now irrelevant because of something called criminal record check, now known as DBS. Offences are now never to be forgotten I guess.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
So, rehabilitation, payed debt to society, changed man......

Nevermind eh, maybe he can start work as a late night minicab driver, would that you make you feel safe when your family are waiting for a cab home, at least he won't be playing football.

Ex cons, hang em all eh.

I think it matters what the crime is and in this instance he forced himself on someone who had at some point declined to have sex but he forced himaelf upon them purley fior his own gratification with no thought to the victim,I feel sex cases very rarely ch ange as it is a sexual desire or are you saying pedos or sadists change?? ,as for a mini cab driver id find it hard to beleive someone would employ him as that and if they do I cant change the way companies work as we have seen on the press some people on the S.E.R have had jobs in schools . football is (rightly or wrongly) part of a multi media entertainment and will influence people and chilsren therefore I stick by what I have said about C.E, or do yyou also think Rolf Harris should be let go and back on tv as what he did was years ago?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Lee Hughes...convicted murderer...hit and run...legged it from the scene...happily plying his trade in league football.
Rape...Murder...where do they stand?....is one more acceptable than the other or should they both be ' no go areas ' for rehabilitation or re-employment in football?

Nevermind eh, maybe he can start work as a late night minicab driver, would that you make you feel safe when your family are waiting for a cab home, at least he won't be playing football.

Ex cons, hang em all eh.

I'm a big supporter of people being given second chances in life. But there is a problem with football, which is something marketed at families and kids and which players become heroes and role models for the young. Difficult to draw the line I know but Evans getting the usual overpaid footballers' contract while we send him along to sign autographs at Gully's Gang events - there is something that doesn't sit right with me about that. Rehabilitation should take place away from the public limelight in my view.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Wasn't there allegations of Robin Van Persie raping someone when he was younger. Im sure you wouldn't turn down him joining us

Wasn't there allegations of Robin Van Persie raping someone when he was younger. Im sure you wouldn't turn down him joining us

We have justice systems. What that decides counts, not tittle tattle

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I think it matters what the crime is and in this instance he forced himself on someone who had at some point declined to have sex but he forced himaelf upon them purley fior his own gratification with no thought to the victim,I feel sex cases very rarely ch ange as it is a sexual desire or are you saying pedos or sadists change?? ,as for a mini cab driver id find it hard to beleive someone would employ him as that and if they do I cant change the way companies work as we have seen on the press some people on the S.E.R have had jobs in schools . football is (rightly or wrongly) part of a multi media entertainment and will influence people and chilsren therefore I stick by what I have said about C.E, or do yyou also think Rolf Harris should be let go and back on tv as what he did was years ago?

Your post outlines my original point. At what stage did general society have the right given to them/us to punish someone beyond the punishment served as demanded by our justice system?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Taking drugs banned by sporting governing bodies or match-fixing are breaches of the rules or laws of those sports. It's beyond their remit to start banning people for things outside the sporting arena (in the loosest sense).

In case you don't agree, let me put an image in your mind that I'm sure will convince you: Sepp Blatter deciding on the rights and wrongs of banning a player guilty of rape.

Am I not correct in that all players in the English league must be signed up with the PFA (or is it the FA they register with?). I'm sure that within that contract there will be a "bringing the game into disrepute" clause as these are standard in almost any personal contract (employment, union, etc). If not then they should be added.

I suspect that being "struck off" is not out of the bounds of possibility legally speaking, effectively generating a life time ban from the English professional game.

It could be done if there was the will to do it! But given the "bad-boy antics" of so many young footballers, a line drawn in the sand could easily have as many on the wrong side as the right!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Lee Hughes...convicted murderer...hit and run...legged it from the scene...happily plying his trade in league football.
Rape...Murder...where do they stand?....is one more acceptable than the other or should they both be ' no go areas ' for rehabilitation or re-employment in football?

Perhaps, rather than returning to full pay, they are are only allowed a set max salary say an average living wage like £25k per year or something. Let's see how long Ched Evans girlfriend sticks by him if that was enforced.

People talk about rehabilitation and returning to work after your time, but how many ex-cons walk straight back into £20k per week or what have you - most have to work hard to earn trust back into society (or carry on offending of course…). Football should be able to apply rules that say a player returning from a conviction has a max allowable salary for the same amount of time as their sentence.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Perhaps, rather than returning to full pay, they are are only allowed a set max salary say an average living wage like £25k per year or something. Let's see how long Ched Evans girlfriend sticks by him if that was enforced.

People talk about rehabilitation and returning to work after your time, but how many ex-cons walk straight back into £20k per week or what have you - most have to work hard to earn trust back into society (or carry on offending of course…). Football should be able to apply rules that say a player returning from a conviction has a max allowable salary for the same amount of time as their sentence.

There you go another example of further punishment by people outside of the court building....I'm slowly getting an indication that some people see it as their right to inflict further punishment, whatever the offence.

Your post outlines my original point. At what stage did general society have the right given to them/us to punish someone beyond the punishment served as demanded by our justice system?

Private organisations have always had the right to decide who they employ, so the answer is always. A serious sexual crime conviction is a reasonable criteria for not employing somebody is a sport marketed at kids and in which your customer base may well include many survivors of sexual abuse - who you would then be asking to actively applaud and "support" said offender.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley

In the case of media exposure, power, earnings and social influence yes we should be aloud to judge or you are saying to the youth "we all make mistake but if you are in the public eye you can have the odd rape and still earn thousands and be praised by the public". I might aswell say "rolf hasnt had sex with a kid for a least 20s and I really liked his comic noises while drawing cant we just let him off and give him his own show back". The whole thing is also a complete insult to the lives he has ruined (it probably didnt just effect the one person he raped)

We talk about change and justice but it wouldnt feel like justice to the victim now would it to see him running down the wing as people cheered his name and he earnt thousands

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Ex cons, hang em all eh.

So...Stuart Hall, Rolf Harris. When they have done their time, should the BBC employ them again? Would that be in any way acceptable?

Ian Watkins from The Lostprophets - will he go back to being a rock star?

That teacher that ran away with the fifteen year old - can he have his job back?

Football is part of the Entertainment business, and when a high profile rapist represents a community and it's football club, that disgusts me.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Good post but for the bit outlined in bold, this act is now irrelevant because of something called criminal record check, now known as DBS. Offences are now never to be forgotten I guess.

Certain offences are never "rehabilitated" [eg murder] and must always be declared. Certain occupations/roles/checks made are also exempt from the Act. But for a "day-to-day check", a spent conviction does not need to be declared and will not be returned on a check. Telling someone else about a person's spent convictions "with malicious intent" is actually an offence under the Act.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Private organisations have always had the right to decide who they employ, so the answer is always. A serious sexual crime conviction is a reasonable criteria for not employing somebody is a sport marketed at kids and in which your customer base may well include many survivors of sexual abuse - who you would then be asking asking to actively applaud and "support" said offender.

I agree private organisations have that right but only since CRB/DBS checks came into being, otherwise its possible that you wouldn't have known anything about convictions concerning anyone not famous or a footballer. I'm not one of these hang 'em high and forget them type of people/person but we are finding out who are on here! Sexual offences are different to 'standard' crimes and as such treatment by society is much harsher but it still comes down to this: Punishment as ordained by the court has been discharged, sentence of imprisonment served. Where does he go from here, genuine question, I'm not defending him.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

It does beg the question that if Luis Saurez got banned for however many months, why shouldn't convicted players recieve a ban after their release. In cricket the Pakistan players who served time for match fixing are still serving cricket bans after their release. I realise the difference is the examples I gave were on the field of play and convicted players actions happen off the field, so I guess the question should be should this matter?

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Certain offences are never "rehabilitated" [eg murder] and must always be declared. Certain occupations/roles/checks made are also exempt from the Act. But for a "day-to-day check", a spent conviction does not need to be declared and will not be returned on a check. Telling someone else about a person's spent convictions "with malicious intent" is actually an offence under the Act.

ALL convictions, regardless of time passed are returned on an enhanced DBS check. FACT

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here