Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ched Evans - which club?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Why should Evans be stopped from playing pro football again? Mike Tyson was able to carry on boxing after he served time for rape. Marlon King was convicted of sexual assault, handling stolen cars, assault, credit card crime, fraudulent use of vehicle license, theft, woundng. Graham Rix, convicted of underage sex (rape). Lee hughes, causing death by dangerous driving. Luke McCormick, drink driving causing death by dangerous driving. Lesley Grantham(Actor) convicted of murder. Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness, look at their past associations, but are now free to tale up their seats in Parliament should they so wish.
I seriously doubt whether anyone can come up with a genuine argument to why Evens should not be allowed to resurrect his career as the above mentioned were or have been allowed to resurrect theirs.

Er... this has been covered above.

Covered a million times.
Would I want a convicted and unremorseful rapist playing for my club?
Not in a million years.

As for your last paragraph. Had he put his hands up and said sorry and tried to do something useful within the community I would have reconsidered but on that basis Evans isn't worth a second thought in footballing terms.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Would I want a convicted and unremorseful rapist playing for my club?
Not in a million years.
Wow, that's pretty definite.
Had he put his hands up and said sorry and tried to do something useful within the community I would have reconsidered
Blimey, time flies.

EDIT - I see you've edited your post now :)

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Er... this has been covered above.

This is NSC, everything gets covered again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Why should Evans be stopped from playing pro football again? Mike Tyson was able to carry on boxing after he served time for rape. Marlon King was convicted of sexual assault, handling stolen cars, assault, credit card crime, fraudulent use of vehicle license, theft, woundng. Graham Rix, convicted of underage sex (rape). Lee hughes, causing death by dangerous driving. Luke McCormick, drink driving causing death by dangerous driving. Lesley Grantham(Actor) convicted of murder. Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness, look at their past associations, but are now free to tale up their seats in Parliament should they so wish.
I seriously doubt whether anyone can come up with a genuine argument to why Evens should not be allowed to resurrect his career as the above mentioned were or have been allowed to resurrect theirs.

Wow, that's pretty definite.
Blimey, time flies.

Statement 1. "Convicted and unremorseful"

Statement 2. .....had he shown remorse and offered some restitution through community service.

I think you needed to read it Trig me old mate :thumbsup: the edit was adding the words "as for your last paragraph" by way of a massive signpost in case someone didn't actually read it. It made no difference to either content or context.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Surely he should be allowed to play in the EU though? Due to freedom of movement and all. I bet if he appealed to the European Court of Human Rights he'd probably be allowed.

Difference is, all of them have at least shown some remorse for his actions. Despite being convicted in a court of law, Evans isn't even one bit remorseful as he thinks he's innocent. Obviously we don't know what actually happened in that hotel room, but if the Criminal Review Commission still find him guilty, why should he play?

He is maintaning his innocence hence his lack of remorse.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007

Did your post say unremorseful before you edited it? If so, fair enough, I must have misread it.

Absolutely.
As you suggest it made no sense otherwise :lol:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It amazes me that any club would sign him, given the potential unhappiness about doing so from a not insignificant section of their support.

Financial suicide, I'd suggest, and not really fully thought through.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008

So, presumably, you would have no problem with Rolf Harris resuming his career as a children's tv presenter when he is released from prison, or Gary Glitter being on Top Of The Pops again?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Must admit, the whole Ministry of Justice angle is a new twist on his situation.

If he actually can't go abroad over licence restrictions (I always thought he'd end up in Turkey), and if no club in the UK will take him for fear of a fan backlash and media onslaught, he might as well have stayed inside for the whole five years.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So, presumably, you would have no problem with Rolf Harris resuming his career as a children's tv presenter when he is released from prison, or Gary Glitter being on Top Of The Pops again?
I don't think Rolf is a good comparison, because a tv entertainer's job is to entertain the tv audience, and I don't think that Rolf is capable of that any more. Gary is a better example - I don't see how we could stop him recording songs, it's then up to the public to decide if they want to buy them.

It is an important topic. I imagine most people thing that ex-cons should be able to work after leaving prison, rather than forcing them back to crime. Which jobs then, does that not apply to (eg, football).

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
There are only 2 clubs that I would have thought might sign him.

Blackpool and Newcastle, based purely on the fact that both clubs have chairmen that would seem to do anything that will antagonise their own fans!

Both appear to be steering well clear so I would suggest that unless cleared on appeal that no club will touch him!

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
My second club Oldham, will get them into playoffs then promoted. Will definitely do a job. Good luck to them.

Just a shame he's still protesting his innocence, should probably be giving it the "no comment, just want to play football" routine and just take the abuse he gets.

Last edited:

Aug 23, 2011
My second club Oldham, will get them into playoffs then promoted. Will definitely do a job. Good luck to them.

There is no guarantee he'll score goals. He hasn't played football in 3 years and his first 2 seasons at Sheff utd yielded about 7 goals in total. Basically one good season and all the baggage doesn't make him a good punt in my book.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here