Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Cheating - pretending to be injured to disrupt the opposition

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Where did I suggest leaving a player clutching his head on the floor?
As that happened about 5 times yesterday I assumed that's what we're all talking about?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I do feel a bit for the refs here, I don't think they are stupid enough to not see what's happening, you can see from the reaction.

Players just need to hold their head and he has to stop, you can bet the one time they make a stand and don't stop it will be a serious issue.

I like the idea of a 5 minute sin bin, but then you are encouraging players with head injuries to not go down and seek treatment.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
How about.
4th official has stopwatch.
Ref blows whistle for injury.
Timer starts.
Player leaves pitch.
Ref blows whistle to start game, timer stops.
'injured' player remains sidelined for the length of time they stopped the game.
4th official instructs player to return to pitch, once the ball has been in play for the same amount of time.
Err, wasnt that what I was saying in previous posts that you suggested wouldn't work?

Only difference being that if the ref thought it was genuine then no delay in returning after treatment.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I do feel a bit for the refs here, I don't think they are stupid enough to not see what's happening, you can see from the reaction.

Players just need to hold their head and he has to stop, you can bet the one time they make a stand and don't stop it will be a serious issue.

I like the idea of a 5 minute sin bin, but then you are encouraging players with head injuries to not go down and seek treatment.
Exactly, posters are now making up their own laws as to what the referee should have done yesterday.
Cheating players, gaming the system that's in place to protect their own health is the problem here not the referee.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I do feel a bit for the refs here, I don't think they are stupid enough to not see what's happening.

Exactly. The referee must stop the game if there is a ‘head injury’ - all while Maheta Malongo & The PFA, Astle Foundation etc constantly lobby the FA & PL about head injuries and the research they have on the impact in later life it quite rightly won’t change.

With the gamesmanship problem they have 2 reasonable solutions - 1) 5 minute mandatory assessment off field where they can bring on a sub. They either reserve it or make it permanent after the 5 minutes.

2) only for the real extreme blatant cases then VAR intervenes to assess the potential of a head injury being a factor. But I don’t think anyone wants that…

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Err, wasnt that what I was saying in previous posts that you suggested wouldn't work?

Only difference being that if the ref thought it was genuine then no delay in returning after treatment.
So we agree, that's nice.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Exactly. The referee must stop the game if there is a ‘head injury’ - all while Maheta Malongo & The PFA, Astle Foundation etc constantly lobby the FA & PL about head injuries and the research they have on the impact in later life it quite rightly won’t change.

With the gamesmanship problem they have 2 reasonable solutions - 1) 5 minute mandatory assessment off field where they can bring on a sub. They either reserve it or make it permanent after the 5 minutes.

2) only for the real extreme blatant cases then VAR intervenes to assess the potential of a head injury being a factor. But I don’t think anyone wants that…

1) Makes sense, I believe they do something in rugby along the same lines and have done for a while, seems to work there - but then again so does VAR.

2) It would have to be beyond doubt, A slight touch on the head, or if they fall the club would be able to claim it was for player safety and right to stop.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
1) Makes sense, I believe they do something in rugby along the same lines and have done for a while, seems to work there - but then again so does VAR.

2) It would have to be beyond doubt, I slight touch on the head, or if they fall the club would be able to claim it was for player safety
The problem with 1 is it then opens up being gamed when a team is chasing a game and brings on another striker or something by someone else feigning injury

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The problem with 1 is it then opens up being gamed when a team is chasing a game and brings on another striker or something by someone else feigning injury
Or, they will just get the keeper to do it.

Who correctly have slightly different rules around them and injury protocols.

Every answer has a loop hole.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Simple. Don't allow the sub. to come on (or the 'injured' player to return) for 5 minutes. No problem (except for the team whose player fakes a head injury).

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Simple. Don't allow the sub. to come on (or the 'injured' player to return) for 5 minutes. No problem (except for the team whose player fakes a head injury).
So Chelsea shouldn’t have been able to replace Azpi for 5 minutes yesterday because he got kicked in the head ?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Not simple at all

A player with an actual injury will potentially stagger on as not to leave his team short causing an issue

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
A large amount of blame has to land at the feet of the incredibly bad refs we currently have stealing a living and ruining everyone`s Saturday . Pro footballers will stop the game themselves when they know there is a head injury , even if it is an opposition player . Fulham are obviously coached in this , because they proved yesterday they`re not coached in playing football . Personally i would like to see retrospective punishments for this type of cheating when it is as obvious as yesterdays incident/s.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
A large amount of blame has to land at the feet of the incredibly bad refs we currently have stealing a living and ruining everyone`s Saturday . Pro footballers will stop the game themselves when they know there is a head injury , even if it is an opposition player . Fulham are obviously coached in this , because they proved yesterday they`re not coached in playing football . Personally i would like to see retrospective punishments for this type of cheating when it is as obvious as yesterdays incident/s.
So you would like to the the Refs go against the current laws in place?

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Maybe our boys could stop diving and going down so easily too?

March, Estupinan, Veltman, Mitoma, Caicedo and Mac Allister all guilty of it today.
You couldn’t of been there.

Only Harry Kane dives and goes down easily in the Premier League. A Brighton player would never, ever do it.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
If it seems clear that the injury is feigned, why aren’t players booked for simulation?
I’d say because it’s a real grey area for a ref to be able to tell.

Not every injury is a serious one, sometimes players do go down because something hurt badly in that moment but after some attention it eases off, just because it’s minor and can be run off doesn’t mean it was simulation. The actual amount of times simulation is really clear is probably very small, and I’d argue they probably do punish it when they can be certain.

It reminded me a bit of the World Cup match between Netherlands and Argentina. The ref was blasted for not controlling the match and handing out so many cards. The players kept starting fights though, like if you are going to start brawling every 15 mins then what is the ref realistically going to be able to do about that other than cards?

Players are the ones responsible for their own actions here and the overall health of the game. They need to manage their behaviour, not have others stop it for them.

scooter1

How soon is now?
So Chelsea shouldn’t have been able to replace Azpi for 5 minutes yesterday because he got kicked in the head ?
The affected club could make an instant substitution, but they are using one of their permitted substitutes. That is the decision of the manager/physio. It’s trying to penalise and put a stop to the feigned injuries.. But as has been mentioned, there is a different protocol for keepers. If there is a different rule for keepers then the gateway to shithousery remains open

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The affected club could make an instant substitution, but they are using one of their permitted substitutes. That is the decision of the manager/physio. It’s trying to penalise and put a stop to the feigned injuries.. But as has been mentioned, there is a different protocol for keepers. If there is a different rule for keepers then the gateway to shithousery remains open
But you can’t assess concussion that quickly. And you can make a substitution anyway so 🤷🏻‍♂️

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No. He had a head injury. Had the physios come on and subsequently treated his ankle, knee or whatever (which frequently happens following a face clutching and twittching act), then yes, 5 minutes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here