Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Cheating - pretending to be injured to disrupt the opposition

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Any game away from against one of the big 6? Are you seriously suggesting that we go into those games looking to play act and disrupt the flow of the game to our advantage? Are you suggesting when we don't do that (cheat) and lose it causes a 'meltdown' on here?

I'm confused
No, he is just a contrary tosser who is better off being ignored.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We've got West Ham palace and Brentford on the horizon.

All you kvetching now better put your big boy pants on for those games.
Because if the usual opening 15 minute charge at the opposition still results in no goals well you aint seen nothing yet

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I too totally disagree with him on this. But please let’s not abuse a fellow supporter.
I'll say it how it is. The guy's MO on here is to take the opposite view on almost everything for the sake of it.
As far as insults go that's pretty light compared to the other stuff that doesn't get picked up on here.

nsclurker

Apr 3, 2018
1676751128675.png

Fulham physio's heat map, today...

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
In exactly the same circumstances our players would do exactly the same.

You're insane if you think they wouldn't.
The way other teams do it suggests planning and work goes into it. RDZ I would think prefers to get the players practising playing football (perhaps not shooting or corners though).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'll say it how it is. The guy's MO on here is to take the opposite view on almost everything for the sake of it.
As far as insults go that's pretty light compared to the other stuff that doesn't get picked up on here.
But I'm not taking the opposite view.
Just pointing out this current 'new' cheating is perfectly legal because the law was introduced to protect players and players will do anything to get an advantage.

As said the next few matches really aren't for you if you can't cope with the reality of today.
The way other teams do it suggests planning and work goes into it. RDZ I would think prefers to get the players practising playing football (perhaps not shooting or corners though).
Of course it does.
It's played out to perfection for a team now above us and 'going on a European tour' and a team who has to compensate for Tyrone Mings.

How do you beat Brighton:-

1 - Don't let your ego get in the way (Yes Klipperty I'm talking about you)
2 - Knock them out of their flow.
3 - Take your one opportunity.

Everyone now knows that and everyone who can will do so until such time as we aren't as good as we think we are.

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
Just pointing out this current 'new' cheating is perfectly legal because the law was introduced to protect players and players will do anything to get an advantage.

As said the next few matches really aren't for you if you can't cope with the reality of today.

Of course it does.
It's played out to perfection for a team now above us and 'going on a European tour' and a team who has to compensate for Tyrone Mings.

Everyone now knows that and everyone who can will do so until such time as we aren't as good as we think we are.
Yes ok, but my point is our players wouldn't do exactly the same in the same circumstances - they couldn't because they haven't practised it.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011

Of course it does.

'Just pointing out this current 'new' cheating is perfectly legal because the law was introduced to protect players and players will do anything to get an advantage.' ..........It may under the interpretation of the law be legal however it certainly isn't sport. It's cheating and I would think I would not be the only one to condemn us if we systematically exploited the letter of the 'law' in order to gain. Instead of arguing why you are 'oh so right' why don't you take a while to post something positive with ideas how to stop it instead of blitheley accepting it?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
'Just pointing out this current 'new' cheating is perfectly legal because the law was introduced to protect players and players will do anything to get an advantage.' ..........It may under the interpretation of the law be legal however it certainly isn't sport. It's cheating and I would think I would not be the only one to condemn us if we systematically exploited the letter of the 'law' in order to gain. Instead of arguing why you are 'oh so right' why don't you take a while to post something positive with ideas how to stop it instead of blitheley accepting it?
All I've got is allowing physios on the pitch during play and thats already been taken.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
There's a very good reason why Howard Webb was brought in mid season, and an immediate clear out has begun.

It certainly wasn't because Undav and Ferguson can't tuck away chances :lolol:.

Refereeing has plunged to new depths this season.

Do you watch entire CL games ever? The refs are fantastic.
Let’s hope the long term will be better because I don’t disagree it’s diabolical (Lee Mason) at times, VAR takes way too long etc.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Actually no, I don't. I never wanted it in the first place, because it was obvious it was going to be the thin end of a very big, shitty wedge. When I come to power it will be binned IMMEDIATELY, so we can get our game back.
Got my vote Easy, if Lib Dem’s included in their manifesto I’m sure even they’d win the election

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I've not seen Fulham doing that before and I hope it isn't a new tactic but it didn't seem to affect your dominance or reduce your chances (look at the stats) and we ended up with 5 yellows to your 0.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
When were we last in a position to use such gamesmanship (cheating)?

If the opportunity arose we'd grab it with both hands and failing to do so, costing a win, would result in an equal meltdown on here.
Fulham were one place behind us. This wasn't a relegation threatened side fighting for their lives. This is what they do, it's their style. It's how they got there, in their DNA. Villa the same.

It has to be stopped. Delaying their return when there's no injury is the way to do that.

Forest were the same but were a dogshit side in relegation places. Its nearly forgivable then.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
The referees are in a difficult position with the players pretending to be injured, as you can see it’s a bit like boy who cried wolf and the one time they don’t stop it may be a serious injury.

What I would like to see is, if the injury is not caused by a foul, then the amount of time the player spends on the floor and being treated is the amount of time he has to be off the pitch for before coming back on .

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've not seen Fulham doing that before and I hope it isn't a new tactic but it didn't seem to affect your dominance or reduce your chances (look at the stats) and we ended up with 5 yellows to your 0.
But it had the desired effect. Every time we got up a head of steam and got into our rhythm with a sustained bit of pressure, it was the cue for some Fulham herbert to go down holding his head or face, pretending to be in their death throes. It was a clear deliberate tactic to break up any flow or momentum in the game, and its very, VERY effective against us. Two other teams who shithoused their way to points at the Amex were Villa and Forest. They just feigned injury all day, destroyed the game as a spectacle, and won some points - job done. Silva clearly saw the blueprint and carried it out to the letter.

On another day we'd have knocked in one of those multitude of chances and it would've been a different game. Unfortunately though, Fulham's anti-football won the day, and we just have to suck it up. I did actually think Fulham were better than that though, tbh. You expect it from dross like Forest and Villa. But you live and learn.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The referees are in a difficult position with the players pretending to be injured, as you can see it’s a bit like boy who cried wolf and the one time they don’t stop it may be a serious injury.

What I would like to see is, if the injury is not caused by a foul, then the amount of time the player spends on the floor and being treated is the amount of time he has to be off the pitch for before coming back on .
A near copy and paste from another thread where someone suggested similar...

Albion defend a corner.​
Opposition player attacks the inswinging delivery and piles into Dunk who goes down due to head impact. It's not a foul - just one of those coming togethers that happens. Dunk, who came off worse, receives treatment on the pitch lasting for some time.​
Dunk goes off for an extended period, as per the protocol you suggest.​
In that time, the opposition win another corner, sling it in and, without Dunk there to defend it, nod home the winner.​
Is that the fairness you seek?​

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here