Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cheap cars

Mar 13, 2008
I know f*** all about cars, my mum and dad don't know much more, and I am looking to get my first one. Could anyone give me a few hints too look for when buying. Like engine noises to be careful of and stuff like that.
Or if anyone has one for sale, under £600, I might be interested.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
damaged%20car1.jpg

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Under £600?

Good luck. You'd be better off with a bicycle.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
You really won't get much for that sort of money. However it's probably better you get a car with a bigger engine for that amount. You might try a car auction but don't bother unless you know cars or have a friend who could go with you who does.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Under £600?

I paid £275 for an 'L' reg Vauxhall Astra estate with 86,000 miles on the clock lasted about 2 years so it is possible. I'd recommend gumtree, loads of desperate people who will drop the price massivly when they see a handfull of wedge.

Happy shopping.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Under £600?

thre are literally tons of decent cars available at that price and lower.

im sure the AA site or such do guides. anything built from 90's on is pretty decent unless obviously tatty. pay attention to tyres and smoke from exhaust is the simplest advice and dont look for high spec models that might have expensive components if they do go wrong. one other thing to consider is get an older car on lower mileage, as the milage is what really counts.

simon swagbag

Jul 8, 2003
Eastbourne
Check the water - if there's creamy goo or it seems oily AVOID.
Take the oil cap off - if there's creamy goo on it AVOID.
It's about knowing what goes wrong with different types of car.
Hondas & Nissans: brilliant engines but bodywork rots.
Rovers: head gaskets blow.
Get something under 1400cc - cheaper tax & insurance.
Fiat Puntos -head gaskets again & radiators.
Fords & Vauxhalls - usually fail MOT on welding/rot around suspension mounting/rot around seatbelt anchorage points.
Daewoo - just AVOID.
Look at the MOT certificate - has it got any advisory notices attached? If so, has the work been carried out? If not then that'll be your shout for the next MOT.
Get the carpets up - any sign of damp?
Run the engine & take the radiator cap off - is it bubbling & frothy? If so...AVOID.
I could go on but I'm hungry now.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Something else to consider is how much the insurance is going to set you back...also, buying an old clunky Volvo may be better in the long run (they are built like tanks and won't fall apart if you have a little scrape or two) than something like a Fiat Panda!

hopper_182

Sep 25, 2008
I actually have a car about to go on sale. i bought it after my car was set on fire in a arson attack, and now have enough money to buy a new car, so genuine reason for sale. Its a renault clio. looking for about £275-300. its R reg, white, 86k. 12 months MOT. (Came back today. 2 new tyres, and a few minor adjustments.) mechanically its very sound, a bit of rust above the back wheels, nothing too dramatic, what you would expect from a car of its age. PM me if your interested.

i

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
got my P reg Toyota Corolla 86,000miles for just £500. its got Aircon and EVERYTHING!

plenty of decent motors for under £600 out there.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Decide what you want/need/can afford and have a look on owners club websites/forums, almost all of them have a for sale section and you can get a feeling for the integrity of the seller.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
How old are you ? if under 20 insurance will be more than that, have you factored in Tax & insurance.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I actually have a car about to go on sale. i bought it after my car was set on fire in a arson attack, and now have enough money to buy a new car, so genuine reason for sale. Its a renault clio. looking for about £275-300. its R reg, white, 86k. 12 months MOT. (Came back today. 2 new tyres, and a few minor adjustments.) mechanically its very sound, a bit of rust above the back wheels, nothing too dramatic, what you would expect from a car of its age. PM me if your interested.

i

I would be interested in that for my son.
Will PM you,
Assuming of course thread starter don't want it.

Mar 13, 2008
I actually managed to get one today. £350. A Peugeot 106 1.1 Graduate. Looks good. Sounded good. Nothing majorly wrong with it so am happy. Probably not going to last more than 6 months - a year. But oh well. Thanks for the advice as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here