Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlton or Peterborough away

BatterSeagull

Aug 1, 2003
London
It is common knowledge that these two away games were the best that we have played all season.

I only saw the Peterborough game which in my opinion was the best I have ever seen from an Albion side in roughly 50 years supporting.

So which was the better performance?

Only those who witnessed both to respond.

zego

Jul 10, 2003
At Peterboro' we were playing against 10 for 65 minutes, which takes some of the gloss off the`result.

I'd put winning 1-0 against a full Championship side at Watford ahead because of that. Watford players, defense and attack, looked bewildered for long stretches, just couldn't work out how to defeat our tactics, strategy, and confidence.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Posh. We were simply untouchable that day. Even before Boyd was sent off.

Charlton was brilliant, but it was only really in the second half that we truly tore them apart. At Peterborough we completely dominated from start to finish.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Posh.

That was the day we started the "we're f***ing brilliant" chant, because we were. Spoke to several Posh fans after and they could not believe what they had witnessed. It was this day when i realised we were on for a very special season. yes, they were reduced to 10, and we should have scored 8, but it was truly brilliant.

Only been a loyal fan for 36 years, so what would I know.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
No idea what sort of performance Posh put in against you, but we put in our worst performance of the season when we played you at the Valley, so even though you played well (and would have won regardless) our shitness made the margin of victory so much more. Winning against teams who have played well themselves is the biggie, and Charlton certainly didn't that day imho.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Peterborough

They were flying high at the time scoring goals for fun,then we turn up score 3 miss a penalty & don't even bother to
Lua lua a game.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Peterborough

They were flying high at the time scoring goals for fun,then we turn up score 3 miss a penalty & don't even bother to
Lua lua a game.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I was lucky enough to be home for both games & went to both. Charlton was fantastic, great day out. The performance at Posh was probably better though. People were just smiling from ear to ear & saying how fantastic it was.

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
i came away from the charlton game thinking, we were incredible, absolutely ripped them apart, thats the best ive seen brighton in years. then went to peterborough and came away thinking, thats the best ive seen brighton ever. the atmosphere that day was incredible too, i love terraces. i dont think ill ever forget that game.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
No idea what sort of performance Posh put in against you, but we put in our worst performance of the season when we played you at the Valley, so even though you played well (and would have won regardless) our shitness made the margin of victory so much more. Winning against teams who have played well themselves is the biggie, and Charlton certainly didn't that day imho.

Any team who gets dicked 3-0 or 4-0 will say they played badly, its a simple inverse relationship. yes, we tore you apart so, in comparison to us, you played badly. Its impossible to lose 4-0 and play well. Winning against teams that played well - that happens when you hang on for a jammy and undeserved 1-0 win, and no-one considers those amongst our best performances.

So in summary, you taking bollocks (meant in the nicest way)

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
i came away from the charlton game thinking, we were incredible, absolutely ripped them apart, thats the best ive seen brighton in years. then went to peterborough and came away thinking, thats the best ive seen brighton ever. the atmosphere that day was incredible too, i love terraces. i dont think ill ever forget that game.

This. Though it's a shame it wasn't slightly later in the season as there was still a lot of space on the terrace.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

You played worse than you did at Dagenham last weekend? Jeeeeze you guys must be completely awful, no wonder you are where you are.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
You played worse than you did at Dagenham last weekend? Jeeeeze you guys must be completely awful, no wonder you are where you are.

Just what I was thinking as he must have a lot of sh1t performances to choose from, especially since Chris Powell came in.

In any case back to the original question. Peterborough away. Against Charlton they did have a few moments up front I can remember and also I was thinking at half time, next goal was critical, but at Peterborough we just completely out played them in every department. Even though it was "only" 3, it really could have been 6+. At half time we were 2-0 up and I was thinking not about Posh getting back into the game but how many were we going to thump them by.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Still say Charlton was better and will do forever and a day.
Should have won 8-0 at Peterborough against 10 men and they took Arron Maclean off.
If we had won 8-0 i would agree with you all.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Peterborough without a shadow of a doubt. Charlton we were good and certainly deserved to win but everything went our way that day and Charlton were poor.

At Peterborough we simply played them off the park, them being down to 10 takes no gloss of the performance in my eyes what so ever as we'd battered them with 11 up to that point as well. If Barnes had been on form that day and their keeper hadn't we could easily have won that game 6,7,8 or 9 nil.

In 23 years of following this club I can't think of a single better performance than that day.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think the Watford game deserves more credit. The most one-sided 1-0 I've ever seen. Completely outclassed a(n at the time top Champ team) in EVERY department.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here