Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlton game to kick off at 15:07-Hillsborough 25th anniversary

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
I will stay in the swan for an extra pint then :drink:

'81,'87,'88' there was crush problems that should have lead to the removal of a ground from the list of suitable stadia for a F.A. cup semi final but the F.A. then (as now) regard maximising income as the highest priority.
Those of us that Visited the old Wembley for England or were at for our cup semi final at Highbury know how close we came to being victims of the greed and incompetence of those paid to protect our safety.

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
Contrast this to the dignity the supporters of Bradford continue to show regarding their disaster when they lost over 50 people in a fire caused by unsafe stand and locked emergency exits. Plently of people to blame but you just never hear them moaning

What is the difference??

Can Liverpool not just do their own thing now they have their justice.

They'll be wanting a bank holiday soon !

This will never end.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Contrast this to the dignity the supporters of Bradford continue to show regarding their disaster when they lost over 50 people in a fire caused by unsafe stand and locked emergency exits. Plently of people to blame but you just never hear them moaning

What is the difference??

This will never end.

Jesus. It's only in the last year or so we can envisage an end. Don't you read the papers or watch the news.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

What is the difference??

This will never end.

Jesus H Christ.

I guess you missed the little thing of the FACTS coming out, when was it? Last year? And here we are at the 25th anniversary.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
As someone who does not hold with the populist opinions often offered about Hillsborough, I will wholeheartedly support this act of rememberance for those who died in this football tragedy, and in others too.

Get you! You're amazing!

Knew you'd pop up on this thread somewhere. You seem to be confusing fact and opinion, as always.

What is the difference??

maybe it's on a personal level, while Bradford suporters were suffering so badly, I was chasing/being chased all over the Goldstone pitch by Sheffield United fans, woke up the next morning to a sore head and the horrors that had unfolded the previous day. With Hillsborough I was sat glued to a TV as the tragedy unfolded in front of my very eyes, I will remember that day as clear as a bell as one of the worst in my life. Point (If there is one) I'm trying to make is for whatever reason we all see tragadies in a different way even if they had nothing to do with us. The disasters involving Liverpool and Man United have stood out over the ones at Burnden Park, Ibrox or Bradford because the fans have chosen that route, I lost a 19 year old nephew nearly 20 years ago I don't want him ever forgotten.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean

What is the difference??

This will never end.

No point in a bank holiday most of them don't work. However, a church service attended by the whole city is expected to be Beamed across all TV channels and the DVD, narrated by cilla black, proceeds are going to the families.

Plans for the 26th 27th 28th anniversary are well underway.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

What is the difference??

This will never end.

I lost two colleagues in the Bradford fire. The big difference is that the cause of the fire and the failings of the club with regard to locked exits etc, were acknowledged straight away.
The Hillsborough disaster was so much worse in that the police, politicians and the FA tried to blame the fans for their own deaths. The press made it so much worse. It was just one year ago that the truth finally began to come out. Nobody should ever go to a match and not expect to return home.

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
'81,'87,'88' there was crush problems that should have lead to the removal of a ground from the list of suitable stadia for a F.A. cup semi final but the F.A. then (as now) regard maximising income as the highest priority.
Those of us that Visited the old Wembley for England or were at for our cup semi final at Highbury know how close we came to being victims of the greed and incompetence of those paid to protect our safety.

Spot on post. Anyone going to football in this era will remember how frightening and dangerous it could be being penned in like animals just for supporting your.

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
Please don't tell me no one was drunk, turned up without a ticket and expected to gain entry that day ? That was the culture of alot of clubs at that time. Jumping turnstyles and weight of force were common place. When Liverpool played wolves In one particular away game a turnstile was actually smashed off so people could gain entry without tickets. Why do we all have to join in on their grief ? And please don't tell me it's also in memory of ibrox, Bradford etc because we all know it isn't. The people I feel sorry for that day are the people who turned up early with tickets and got crushed by the late comers. It's not all the police and medias fault is my point and 99% of you know that but haven't got the balls to agree.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Please don't tell me no one was drunk, turned up without a ticket and expected to gain entry that day ? That was the culture of alot of clubs at that time. Jumping turnstyles and weight of force were common place. When Liverpool played wolves In one particular away game a turnstile was actually smashed off so people could gain entry without tickets. Why do we all have to join in on their grief ? And please don't tell me it's also in memory of ibrox, Bradford etc because we all know it isn't. The people I feel sorry for that day are the people who turned up early with tickets and got crushed by the late comers. It's not all the police and medias fault is my point and 99% of you know that but haven't got the balls to agree.

I can't believe that any football fan still believes that!!

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
I can't believe that any football fan still believes that!!

Anybody who is of a certain age and went to certain games did so in the knowledge that they had a fairly good chance of entry without tickets if you went in numbers. And drink was a factor. It's just the older people on this board are keeping quiet. Don't fall for all the media hand wringing that goes on these days. Football fans at that time were treated like animals because some of them acted like animals, hence the fences and the reluctantance to open them (or ability !) when the crush started to happen .

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Do they still burn witches down your way ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Anybody who is of a certain age and went to certain games did so in the knowledge that they had a fairly good chance of entry without tickets if you went in numbers. And drink was a factor. It's just the older people on this board are keeping quiet. Don't fall for all the media hand wringing that goes on these days. Football fans at that time were treated like animals because some of them acted like animals, hence the fences and the reluctantance to open them (or ability !) when the crush started to happen .

I am 65 and been watching the Albion since 1961. Is that old enough for you?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So in all your years you never saw this type of behaviour ? Well I have at plenty of games.

The sections either side were almost empty. The enquiry found that no fan turned up without a ticket, but the police & stewards directed those fans to the centre section where the crush was occurring. There is a tunnel so fans couldn't see into that section to see what was happening. Read the report properly.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean

I will be expecting plenty of these from you young man to prove you care and your in the 'football family' crocodilecrying.gif

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Unfortunately, a lot of people don't like to accept that the police were not solely responsible for the tragedy. A lot of the fans have to take some responsibility for what happened that day. This was covered at the time by the local Sheffield newspaper but is little reported but was mentioned in a documentary last year.

Aside of that I hope the police are held to account though for some its too late

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here