Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlton crowd?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Teams up until about 8th are only a few points above the drop. It is a crazy league.

And a great league. I'm not sure I am any more confident in winning tonight than I was against Hull and Palace . They are good away from home so it will be tough.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
And a great league.

It is, isn't it?

Although promotion would be fantastic, there is a tiny part of me that looks at the endless hype and bullsh*t surrounding the Premier League and thinks "do I really want us to be part of that?". This league is competitive, we win more than we lose, there are some great away days involved, there are 46 games not 38, we are (very) slightly less likely to have games changed to a Sunday every other week, and tickets to away games tend to be in the £20 to £30 region, not the £40 to £65 region.

This is indeed a great league.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
If I remember rightly, they're quite vocal. Classed as one of them 'nice' clubs so should be a pleasant atmosphere...as long as we're two up by half time!

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Charlton have sold 2,000 for tonight, it's an important game for us as well as them, school holidays, I think the attendance will be around 26,800.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
It is, isn't it?

Although promotion would be fantastic, there is a tiny part of me that looks at the endless hype and bullsh*t surrounding the Premier League and thinks "do I really want us to be part of that?". This league is competitive, we win more than we lose, there are some great away days involved, there are 46 games not 38, we are (very) slightly less likely to have games changed to a Sunday every other week, and tickets to away games tend to be in the £20 to £30 region, not the £40 to £65 region.

post of the day Edna. My thoughts entirerly, will take the prem if we get there, but very happy with the championship, every game is winnable and I would rather spend my hard earned cash watching us winning more than losing as we will do in the prem. dont give a toss about the "quality of football we will get to see" or "the great terams and players" we will see. Dont interest me one bit, just want to see us win.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
post of the day Edna. My thoughts entirerly, will take the prem if we get there, but very happy with the championship, every game is winnable and I would rather spend my hard earned cash watching us winning more than losing as we will do in the prem. dont give a toss about the "quality of football we will get to see" or "the great terams and players" we will see. Dont interest me one bit, just want to see us win.

Thank you. The fact is, when Match of the Day is on, I tend to drift in and out, occasionally glancing at the screen if a goal's scored, but mostly not paying too much attention. Especially when the Three Bores (Lineker, Hansen & Shearer) appear. The Football League Show, I'm often glued to (well, as long as we haven't lost). There's not quite so much tedious analysis, it's just goals and action. It's even fun watching the dregs of League Two hoofing their way around and falling over.

This season, I've seen, amongst others, entertaining-but-heartbreaking draws at Birmingham and Forest, winning at Cardiff, getting smashed by the Slum-Dwellers, a decent trip to Charlton, a monumentally poor game but fantastic afternoon/night out in Bristol, and annoying the hell out of Blackburn with a 97th minute equaliser. Would a midweek journey to Stoke to watch us battered by the ugly-but-professional hoof-merchants be quite as much fun? I don't know.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It is, isn't it?

I've been saying this for years!

There's only so much fun to be had in a league you can never ever win. And that is what the PL is all about.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
It is, isn't it?

Yep, totally agree. It would be great to be promoted and have that kudos of being a Prem club, together with the huge financial windfall that it brings for the Club.
I'd love to think we could do a 'Swansea' but the chances are we would struggle to survive and not sure that would be enjoyable over the course of a season. I remember how painful 79/80 was, with only a handfull of decent results.

So on balance but I won't lose much sleep if we don't get there this year. I quite enjoy us being a big fish in the Championship pond rather than a tiddler in the Prem shark tank. Plus it is nice being underdogs in the Cup competitions and slaying the odd Prem team.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Thank you. The fact is, when Match of the Day is on, I tend to drift in and out, occasionally glancing at the screen if a goal's scored, but mostly not paying too much attention. Especially when the Three Bores (Lineker, Hansen & Shearer) appear. The Football League Show, I'm often glued to (well, as long as we haven't lost). There's not quite so much tedious analysis, it's just goals and action. It's even fun watching the dregs of League Two hoofing their way around and falling over.

This season, I've seen, amongst others, entertaining-but-heartbreaking draws at Birmingham and Forest, winning at Cardiff, getting smashed by the Slum-Dwellers, a decent trip to Charlton, a monumentally poor game but fantastic afternoon/night out in Bristol, and annoying the hell out of Blackburn with a 97th minute equaliser. Would a midweek journey to Stoke to watch us battered by the ugly-but-professional hoof-merchants be quite as much fun? I don't know.

it wouldnt be as exciting, no where near. The prem will be ok as we would get the bragging rights over our neighbours up the 23, but the Championship is so competitve now, its probably more competitive that 95% of europes main leagues. Im enjoying it....

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I quite enjoy us being a big fish in the Championship pond rather than a tiddler in the Prem shark tank. Plus it is nice being underdogs in the Cup competitions and slaying the odd Prem team.

You may have a point there too.

For years, thanks to the Withdean factor, we've been the small fry who couldn't compete with other clubs who (stadium notwithstanding) we considered ourselves to be on a par with. Having finally got to the Amex, we're in a position where we're one of the bigger fish. I'm still enjoying that at the moment. Pretty much the only difference between us and many of the other clubs around us is that half of them are still in receipt of ridiculous parachute payments from the PL. I'd love promotion, but if it doesn't happen, I can quite easily live with being a slightly bigger fish for a while.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Ask Charlton where they would prefer to be, or Blackpool, or Hull, or Wigan or even Blackburn! One or two seasons in the premier league as a smaller club playing games on God knows what day against the elite of English football, would for me be far better than worrying about who we want in the play offs!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I agree with nearly all the sentiments about the merits of staying in this league but you know when push comes to shove and we get that chance to get to the premier league we'll all be trying to grab it just like all the other sides who got there. As long as the club is run correctly and we don't gamble our future on making the jump then there are always the Swansea and the WBA stories to look at rather than the Bradford and Pompey debacles. We've no need to be scared of it all. Ok we'll probably lose a hell of a lot more than we'll win but I and thousands of others have experienced that in the 4th tier of English football as well.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I agree with nearly all the sentiments about the merits of staying in this league but you know when push comes to shove and we get that chance to get to the premier league we'll all be trying to grab it just like all the other sides who got there. As long as the club is run correctly and we don't gamble our future on making the jump then there are always the Swansea and the WBA stories to look at rather than the Bradford and Pompey debacles. We've no need to be scared of it all. Ok we'll probably lose a hell of a lot more than we'll win but I and thousands of others have experienced that in the 4th tier of English football as well.

That saved me some typing.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Ask Charlton where they would prefer to be, or Blackpool, or Hull, or Wigan or even Blackburn! One or two seasons in the premier league as a smaller club playing games on God knows what day against the elite of English football, would for me be far better than worrying about who we want in the play offs!

It's a posioned chalice though. A few seasons in the PL are fair enough, but unless you don't bother trying to be that competitive (like Watford did a few years ago) you'll end up back in the Championship with an albatross of debt. Things may have changed with regard to TV money, parachute payments etc in the intervening six years, but not a great deal I expect - Charlton were regarded as a model of a well run small PL club but when we went down in 2007 it was with circa 30m of debt. That crippling debt is the reason so many relegated PL clubs (see Leeds, Stains, etc) end up in League 1 a couple of seasons later. Personally I'd prefer just hanging around the Championship rather than the so often seen PL-L1 boom and bust model.

As regards ticket allocation, I suspect we were offered 2,000 sale or return and told if we wanted more we'd have to pay for them up front and our skinflint secret owners weren't prepared to commit to that. Reckon we could have brought up another 500-600 if available, not only because of the new stadium thing but because after SE London and NW Kent, Sussex and SE Kent are our next biggest supporter bases, and for many of those people the Amex is as close (or closer) as The Valley. PS I think even our cheapskate owners would have taken the maximum allocation possible had the game been yesterday as originally scheduled.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here